Tips how to setup your audio system correctly

jolla

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
Some of my friends have complained that they bought some cool set of speakers but their sound quality seemed to be less than expected. Sounds familiar? So this is for you and everyone else who want to make their speakers sound as good as possible.

1)Sound card
First of all make sure that you have good enough sound card. If you have a digital system, there should also be a digital output in your sound card. Also, if you are using system like 5.1 or similar, your sound card should also be a 5.1 card.

2) Sound card drivers
If your soundcard is good enough, then make sure that you have the newest drivers for it. And of course, make sure that they are for the operating system you are using. Newest drivers for Windows ME are whole lot different than drivers for XP!! Correct drivers can make a huge difference. For soundblaster, drivers can be found at http://www.soundblaster.com/drivers

3) Sound card setups
I'm now speaking behalf of soundblaster only, cause I dunno about other cards. But anyways, in soundblaster there are setups for different speaker systems (i.e 2 speakers, 5.1 set, headphones etc) and they affect a lot on sound quality. So make sure you select the right setting corresbonding to your speaker set. These setups can be found at Control panel/sound devices/speaker settings.

Those are the main issues to be considered. After doing all that the sound coming out from your speakers is pretty much the sound they are able to produce.

My friend bought logitech z-340 set and it sounded pretty muddy. But I found that the problem was that he had drivers for win98 and he had XP. So I updated his drivers and set the correct speaker settings. Now the speakers sound very clear!

Hope this helps, cheers!

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
tip number two from Alltaken

onboard 5.1 channel sound is great and will save you on buying a seperate sound card.

onboard sound also does digital out for connection to things such as stereos and minidisc players and is equal to those of a high end soud card.

Alltaken