Can't View Available Wireless Networks....

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I can't seem to view the wireless networks and set up
prefered networks. I can only see available networks
through the broadband utility. My wireless connection
doesn't have a Tab underproperties for wireless
anything. I just gives me a blank window when i right
click the "wireless connection" icon at the bottom of the
screen and click view available wireless networks how do
i fix this???

Hi,

Make sure your Windows XP has it's Wireless Zero Configuration Service
Started.
To do this go to your Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

When the Services window opens up scroll down to the Wireless Zero
Configuration and set it to Automatic Startup and then hit the Start button.
Then hit OK.

Now go into the Wireless Network Card properties and you should discover a
Wireless Tab.
At the bottom window you'll be able to add your wireless networks with it's
encryption keys and next time windows will automatically connect to the
wireless network that is in range.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't seem to view the wireless networks and set up
> prefered networks. I can only see available networks
> through the broadband utility. My wireless connection
> doesn't have a Tab underproperties for wireless
> anything. I just gives me a blank window when i right
> click the "wireless connection" icon at the bottom of the
> screen and click view available wireless networks how do
> i fix this???

Thank you so much for the person who wote this advice. :bounce:

Somehow I had disabled my view wireless network screen. although had no problems connecting to my own wireless network - it was a right pain when not at home to connect to someone elses network. :fou:

Having searched fruitlessly on the microsoft web site under article 871122, not finding the wireless tab, and being totally frustrated. But a quick read of this and a few clicks of the mouse and I can now see the local wireless networks again. :D

I can't thank you enough. :bounce: :bounce:

Here's what i did when i asked someone to help me from linksys

start -> run -> type 'services.msc' then click ok-> wireless zero configuration right click-> start -> Close window
type into run->'ncpa.pl' -> ok -> view available connections then refresh. Then find your network and connect

i Hope this helped you :)

I would like to also thank the person who posted the info signed off with Gary Tsang. I've only just got wireless 2 days ago and couldn't understand how I suddenly couldn't see the networks around me, although could connect all right just as the orignal poster here could.

I did the first step in services etc and was so ignorant I didn't even know what or how to look at my wireless card (oh dear). :eek:

After ascertaining the following day that my wireless card was the intelpro etc i could see if I clicked properties in my "wireless network connection status" windows I went back into services etc...discovered it no longer said start, so did that step again, and lo and behold when i clicked on properties on the wireless network connection status, this time a new tab called "wireless networks" had opened up between "general" and "advanced".

The "preferred networks" and "add" button section was greyed out but was enabled by ticking the box for “use Windows to configure my wireless network settings”. Filled in the details of my wireless connection and with some trepidation pressed ok. I don't understand how this allows me to see not only my own network again but all those around me as before but it sure as hell works. Thanks so much, I never would have figured it out on my own. :D

seesuzgo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Here's what i did when i asked someone to help me from linksys

start -> run -> type 'services.msc' then click ok-> wireless zero configuration right click-> start -> Close window
type into run->'ncpa.pl' -> ok -> view available connections then refresh. Then find your network and connect

i Hope this helped you :)

I have the same problem but wireless zero configuration is already enabled and when I type ncpa.pl it says the file does not exist. Does this mean I need to reinstall something from Windows XP?

mmosqueda

[...]

====================================
thnx i just followed what you did and surprisingly i am connected to the world again... thnx to all the people in this forum you are very helpful and informative.

keos190

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

after i type in the ncpa.cpl the window pop up but it doesnt have the view wireless conection option in the network task thingy do i have to install anything or do something alse?

Snowy_46

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I use Windows 7, and this worked for me.

Start > Run > ncpa.cpl > ok > View your wireless connections. ENABLE THEM ALL!

anas_again

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thank you it works as you said, but now it says "Acquiring network address" ?