Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What kind of EQ does Bose use on the 901s?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:48:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s? How do they
sound with and without EQ? Are they usable without the EQ? Note: I'm not
asking for a speaker review here...

More about : kind bose 901s

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:37:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Karl Uppiano wrote:

> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
thing.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

> How do they
> sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

> Are they usable without the EQ?

No.


Graham
August 24, 2004 6:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <412A8DDC.7350622D@hotmail.com>, Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>Karl Uppiano wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
>
>It boosts the bass and treble.
>
>Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
>thing.

The 802 lower boost is higher in frequency, where the 901 peaks at 30 HZ
with an even higher boost level. If you additionally subtract a couple db at 300 Hz, they sound
better.

greg



>http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif
>
>> How do they
>> sound with and without EQ?
>
>Like small 'radio speakers'.
>
>> Are they usable without the EQ?
>
>No.
>
>
>Graham
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:57:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

gregs wrote:

> In article <412A8DDC.7350622D@hotmail.com>, Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >Karl Uppiano wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
> >
> >It boosts the bass and treble.
> >
> >Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
> >thing.
>
> The 802 lower boost is higher in frequency, where the 901 peaks at 30 HZ
> with an even higher boost level. If you additionally subtract a couple db at 300 Hz, they sound
> better.

I guess that'll be 'cos the 802s were intended for SR. Using that much boost @ 30Hz on an SR speaker
would invite instant disaster !

BTW, I had no preconception when Bose entered the market. I was curious when my local venue hosted the
band 'Alberto Y los Trios Paranoias' many decades back. Mid 70s maybe.

I had already heard that they were using a Bose P.A. and was interested to see the result.

The result accounts for the derision poured on Bose ever since by SR professionals.

The 'rig' was being used only for vocals.

There were several / many 802 cabs either side of the stage. Maybe 5 ( 1kW ? ) Bose amps each side too.

The clip leds were almost permanently lit ! Just on vocals ! And it was way quieter than most rock gigs I
ever went to ! Not just quieter, the balance was a joke too. The audience shuffled uncomfortably.

Basically totally pathetic.

Back then there was little to beat a good Martin rig. Arguably, those old designs would still hold their
own in audio quality terms in selected applications against more modern designs that are designed simply
to get in and out of the venue as fast as possible.

Bad live sound is just as ( if not more ) prevalent now as 30 yrs ago. Sad really.


Graham
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:46:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:07:07 +0100, Pooh Bear
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ( but not 8 / 9 drive units in a cabinet with their interference issues )

Driver arrays have been modelized long ago and can easily be designed for
top notch far field performance. A very popular topology is the Bessel array
- which should rather be called the Philips array - witn 5 or 7 drivers.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Pooh Bear wrote:
> Karl Uppiano wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
>
> It boosts the bass and treble.
>
> Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
> the same thing.
>
> http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif
>
>> How do they
>> sound with and without EQ?
>
> Like small 'radio speakers'.

Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.

geoff
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:04:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <djwWc.4828$zS6.534427@news02.tsnz.net>, geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam
says...
>
>
>Pooh Bear wrote:
>> Karl Uppiano wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
>>
>> It boosts the bass and treble.
>>
>> Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
>> the same thing.
>>
>> http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif
>>
>>> How do they
>>> sound with and without EQ?
>>
>> Like small 'radio speakers'.
>
>Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.

What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.
-----------------
Alex
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:48:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <cggvj8$qg$3@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu>,
Alex Rodriguez <adr5@columbia.edu> wrote:

> In article <djwWc.4828$zS6.534427@news02.tsnz.net>, geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam
> says...
> >
> >
> >Pooh Bear wrote:
> >> Karl Uppiano wrote:
> >>
> >>> Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
> >>
> >> It boosts the bass and treble.
> >>
> >> Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
> >> the same thing.
> >>
> >> http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif
> >>
> >>> How do they
> >>> sound with and without EQ?
> >>
> >> Like small 'radio speakers'.
> >
> >Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.
>
> What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Bose story:

Some years ago, a friend had a couple of 901's and a Crown DC-300
(that's the output wattage rating) to drive them. He complained to me
that they sounded "pretty good" but he couldn't get them to play very
loud. He wondered ifthere was something wrong with the amp. I told him
that, among it's many other problems, the 901s had absolutely wretched
efficiency. He disagreed.

I inivited him to bring the amp over to my place. I had (still have) a
couple of Klipschorns. The DC-300 driving the K-Horns generated an
absolutely *stunning* sound pressure level in my fairly large living
room -- you could yell and not be able to hear yourself. I had to use a
tape deck for source, because the turntable was susceptable to acoustic
feedback at the levels involved. There was intermodulation distortion,
but if you stuck your fingers in your ears, it would go away, because it
was being generated *in your ears*.

He went away convinced that 901's were not very good speakers after all.

Isaac
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:15:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Isaac Wingfield wrote:
> In article <cggvj8$qg$3@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu>,
> Alex Rodriguez <adr5@columbia.edu> wrote:
>
>
>>In article <djwWc.4828$zS6.534427@news02.tsnz.net>, geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam
>>says...
>>
>>>
>>>Pooh Bear wrote:
>>>
>>>>Karl Uppiano wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?
>>>>
>>>>It boosts the bass and treble.
>>>>
>>>>Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
>>>>the same thing.
>>>>
>>>>http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>How do they
>>>>>sound with and without EQ?
>>>>
>>>>Like small 'radio speakers'.
>>>
>>>Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.
>>
>>What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.
>
>
> Bose story:
>
> Some years ago, a friend had a couple of 901's and a Crown DC-300
> (that's the output wattage rating) to drive them. He complained to me
> that they sounded "pretty good" but he couldn't get them to play very
> loud. He wondered ifthere was something wrong with the amp. I told him
> that, among it's many other problems, the 901s had absolutely wretched
> efficiency. He disagreed.
>
> I inivited him to bring the amp over to my place. I had (still have) a
> couple of Klipschorns. The DC-300 driving the K-Horns generated an
> absolutely *stunning* sound pressure level in my fairly large living
> room -- you could yell and not be able to hear yourself. I had to use a
> tape deck for source, because the turntable was susceptable to acoustic
> feedback at the levels involved. There was intermodulation distortion,
> but if you stuck your fingers in your ears, it would go away, because it
> was being generated *in your ears*.
>
> He went away convinced that 901's were not very good speakers after all.
>
> Isaac
That's a wee bit of an unfair comparison because Klipschorns tend to be
extremely efficient speakers. They'll make a 10 watt amplifier sound loud.

CD
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Don wrote:

> I once was a stereo salesman, and sold Bose speakers. The mark-up was twice
> that of some other brands. I didn't like the Bose speakers, but if a customer
> wanted to hear them, I'd demo them. If they wanted to buy them, I'd sell them.
> But only after demoing AR, JBL, Infiniti etc. Some people just have poor
> taste, and/or are brainwashed by the Bose reputation.

Don't you mean the Bose *religion* ?


Graham

religion overcomes all - so they say - you have to believe to errr... believe
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:43:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Alex Rodriguez" <adr5@columbia.edu> wrote in message
news:cgir2k$36l$7@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu...
> In article <412cc280$0$2481$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> TonyP@optus.net.com.au says...
> >Not at all. Look up *CHEAP* in the dictionary, you will find that "cheap"
> >and "expensive price" are mutually exclusive terms.
>
> An average widget sells for $10. I buy a widget for $2 and I sell it to
> you for $100. Is that a cheap widget or an expensive widget?

See, even you agree it's one OR the other. You're just not sure which.

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:43:45 +1000, "TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au>
wrote:

>> An average widget sells for $10. I buy a widget for $2 and I sell it to
>> you for $100. Is that a cheap widget or an expensive widget?
>
>See, even you agree it's one OR the other. You're just not sure which.

It's both. A cheap widget to you, an expensive widget to the punter.
It may also be a good widget, a bad widget or an adequate widget.
None of these are described by the words "cheap" or "expensive".

Certainly not in a context where value and price are both under
discussion.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"ansermetniac" <ansermetniac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:vqspi09d69mhl3h7pirmj2mgusameu8isf@4ax.com...
> Both
> Cheap in quality
> Expensive in price

NO. *LOW* in quality, expensive in price. Better do 3rd grade English again
:-)

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:48:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Don" <TAKE-OUTdobrien25@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:vy8Xc.310344$a24.205018@attbi_s03...
> and/or are brainwashed by the Bose reputation.

Is that the one that goes : "No highs, No lows, must be a Bose"?

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:21:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

normanstrong wrote:

> It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
> the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
> in quality as well.

That is true to a degree also in the UK.

Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality. Not
necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.


Graham
August 27, 2004 6:49:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <412D4335.3583D621@hotmail.com>,
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com says...
>
>Don wrote:
>
>> I once was a stereo salesman, and sold Bose speakers. The mark-up was twice
>> that of some other brands. I didn't like the Bose speakers, but if a
customer
>> wanted to hear them, I'd demo them. If they wanted to buy them, I'd sell
them.
>> But only after demoing AR, JBL, Infiniti etc. Some people just have poor
>> taste, and/or are brainwashed by the Bose reputation.
>
>Don't you mean the Bose *religion* ?
>Graham

It was bad, bad, I tell you. Especially since this was in Cambridge Mass, very
close to Prof's Bose's school, and not far from the factory. By this time,
1980's, Bose had several lines of speakers. One line used 2 1/2" phenolic
tweeters(beam beam beam...) and cabinets made of particle board, which, if hit
with a hammer, not using much force, would pop out a one inch round "cork" .
-Don
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:57:16 GMT, TAKE-OUTdobrien25@comcast.net (Don)
wrote:

>"Look at that Marantz receiver... blue, purple, pink and green lights...
>That'll get you laid, man!" I swear- an actual quote by a customer to his
>buddy.

My prized collection of 1960/70s mens' magazines contain many glossy
"lifestyle" advertisements for really ordinary hi-fi. But my
favourite is a "Playboy" which portrays a group of Beautiful Young
Things (was the term "Preppy"?) orgasming over a motor-cycle. A
Harley? Vintage Triumph? No - a Honda 50 :-)
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:32:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Pooh Bear wrote:
> normanstrong wrote:
>
>> It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
>> the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
>> in quality as well.
>
> That is true to a degree also in the UK.
>
> Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality.
> Not necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.


Cheqap can imply great quality at a low price (it's in the inflection). But
Bose are not cheap (price) but cheap (quality).

geoff
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:412E7E6E.789ACB20@hotmail.com...
> normanstrong wrote:
>
> > It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
> > the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
> > in quality as well.
>
> That is true to a degree also in the UK.
>
> Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality. Not
> necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.

Yes, the humpty dumpty defence. Nobody has quoted which dictionary they are
referring to so far.

TonyP.
!