GPU causes System to not Boot

BKrenz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello everyone!

I built a new computer at Christmas time. Here are the specs.
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card w/ Boost
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Fan Controller: BitFenix Recon
3x Noctua 120mm fans
2x Noctua 140mm fans

I've been having a problem with the system.

I had the machine working perfectly for about a week while I was still at home. Upon returning to college, the problems started. Possibly knocked something loose on the way here? That was early January.

The system randomly shut down (read: turned off instantly), and would not boot up again. When resetting the power supply's main switch to cut off power from the machine as whole, then turning it back on and booting again, the LEDs on my motherboard would flash, but the machine would not power up. I figured the PSU had died on me, and RMA'd it.

Upon receiving the new PSU and plugging the system back in, the problem persisted. I took the machine to the tech guys here at college, where we checked to make sure the PSU was working correctly. Upon verifying that, we started removing components from the system. When the graphics card was removed and replaced by the Radeon 5450 they had on hand, the system booted properly. So, we figured something was wrong with the Video Card possibly overdrawing the PSU, and I RMA'd the card.

I just received the new card yesterday, and the machine was working fine for 5 or 6 hours. The machine was staying at a cool 23-25 degrees Celsius, and I had been wanting to use the machine for a little while before I proceeded to overclock any.

The system once again shut down completely without warning. It was shortly after I had launched a game, but I had been playing the game for a few hours earlier that day. The power LED on the case was blinking repeatedly until I cut power from the system via the PSU switch. Upon turning it back on, the original problem occurred. I then removed the GPU from the system, and it booted properly from what I could tell, as I don't have integrated graphics.

As such, I tried a different PCIe slot, to no avail.

At this point, I think the only issue could be the motherboard, which is now past its RMA period I believe. If I have to replace it, I'll need to buy a new one, so I'll need a recommendation to what AM3+ board to buy that is good for overclocking.

I'm happy to provide any other information I can to help you guys help me. I don't have a POST speaker, but I do have a POST LED on my motherboard. Once again, I said that all it does is flash when I hit the power button, and the system doesn't boot. Subsequent presses of the power button and reset button effectively do nothing until I reset power via the PSU.

TL;DR: My system doesn't boot with the GPU installed. Help?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
The ASUS Sabertooth is the BEST 990FX board... it has a 5 year warranty too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3947170&CatId=7246

Now, with that said, according to my calculations your machine only needs about 500 watts, so even if the PSU isn't pushing quite 650 it should be at least more than 500. I personally believe it is your PSU tho, I think its failing again, just might be that model (or just bad luck). If you can trade parts with someone that would be great to see if you can get it to be stable. If the PSU is the problem this is a great one that I use.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&csid=_61

And if you want to look at what kind of power requirements you need for OCing go to this link

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I would try to trade PSUs first... but if that doesn't work it is the motherboard.

BKrenz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I just talked to the tech guys, and they tested the system, and were getting no response from anything when the secondary power port on the card was plugged into. Seems like another DOA card.

BKrenz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I know Sapphire is great. Why I bought it in the first place. I know my way around hardware quite well usually, but was stumped by the low odds of another DOA card and was looking for second opinions.

I'm going to demand a refund, and probably buy a 7970 instead possibly.

ehyde1029

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I just got a Power Color 7870 Myst edition for the same prics as a normal 7870 and it outperforms all other 78xx and some 79xx series out there so I would highly recommend that for the best price/performance GPU. For a MOBO I aslo just got a Biostar TA990FXE and it also is one of the best price/performance boards I've found, great for OC and has all the new features.. I was going to get a sabertooth but I heard allot of people were having OC stability problems and stuff where RAM would read at half speed and couldn't chabge back. I've only had the system going for 4 days now but it tears through anything. I have the FX-8350