Sign in with
Your question

Determining expansion slots

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2013 5:56:33 PM

Hello all,

I need a bit of advice in adding a third graphics card to my children's computer so that each monitor has it's own graphics card. It is needed to be able to run VM software better.

The computer I have has one PCIe x 16 slot, two PCIe x1 slots and what appears to be a PCI Express slot although I am not sure if this is for a graphics card or network card. The top PCIx1 slot is covered by the main graphics card (Radeon HD 5750) which leaves me only one PCIe x 1 slot and the PCI Express (?) slot to work with. (Please see the photo below). I have one PCIe x1 card (Radeon 5450) which goes into the available PCIe x 1 slot.

My question is will I be able to put a graphics card into the slot that I labeled PCI Express and if so will it work properly and what type of card is needed ? Any recommendations for a card if one can be put in ? Ideally a card with 512MB- 1GB, 600 Mhz clock, 80 stream processors and HDMI or DP connection ?

If I cannot put a card in the slot I am referring to does anyone know of a low profile card to replace the HD 5750 with similar or better specs (1GB, 700 MZ clock, 720 stream processors) ?

I guess I could try and run a ribbon from the covered PCIe x1 slot but I don't know if I have the clearance in the bottom bay for a card to fit in properly since there is a slot there.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

February 8, 2013 11:52:58 PM

Thanks for this. It didn't look like PCI express but on my graphics card box it was showing the pn configuration and labeled it PCI Express.

I did find one card if anyone is looking for the same. It is a HIS H545H512P Radeon HD 5450 Silence 512MB 64-bit card that fits the PCI slot.

m
l
!