AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 VS GeForce GTX 275

Baldey

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I have a GeForce GTX 275, and i might be getting a better (CPU mobo and RAM) desktop with a AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 from a friend. Should i swap in my GTX or leave the AMD?

I looked over a few stats, the memory clock seems faster for the GTX, but its gddr3 vs 5? the bandwidth is comparable at 127 vs 128, i think that's the main thing when looking at memory?

the core clock seems faster for the AMD, but the shader clock is unlisted?

I don't know around what time these cards were top of the line either. All i know is i tend to favor nvidia over AMD, and the GTX is more expensive on google shop :p . So i dont know much. Please halp!

Oh and the old machine has a 850 watt psu, the new one from friend 550.

Solution
The Radeon 6850 is more powerful than the GTX 275.

The Radeon 6850, like most other modern AMD cards, runs its shader frequency equal to its GPU frequency, hence it's combined as GPU frequency and there isn't a separately listed shader frequency.

The difference in the PSU wattage is not something to complain about. Wattage doesn't really matter anyway; +12V power delivery is what matters as far as power delivery goes.

What are the rest of the components changes, if any?
The Radeon 6850 is more powerful than the GTX 275.

The Radeon 6850, like most other modern AMD cards, runs its shader frequency equal to its GPU frequency, hence it's combined as GPU frequency and there isn't a separately listed shader frequency.

The difference in the PSU wattage is not something to complain about. Wattage doesn't really matter anyway; +12V power delivery is what matters as far as power delivery goes.

What are the rest of the components changes, if any?

Solution

Baldey

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
if thats the case, i dont think there'll be any other component changes. I might just keep them both as they are, maybe swap in a SSD into the new one when i find a job. Thanks for the input guys!