Upgrading Graphics / Purchasing New Cards

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Pretty much this week.
BUDGET RANGE: Any budget is fine, pretty much looking to get the best card(s) performance wise. Either being solo card , or SLI/Crossfire, whichever is going to push the best performance, etc, at this time..
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, multi-tasking, etc.
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Crossfire 7770 GHZ , and a Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX1200)
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Running i7 3930k, asus rampage iv extreme mobo, g skill 16gb memory, ocz vertex 4 ssd, 1tb WD HD, using h80i watercooler
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any website that provides logical prices, rebates, shipping, legitimate business, etc..
PARTS PREFERENCES: This is where I'm open to availability.. I'm trying to find out what the absolute best cards for performance right now would be.. Be it CF or SLI cards, or one of the larger single cards, etc. Trying to find out what the best is right now to go with is.
OVERCLOCKING: Of course
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Either or depending on the cards recommended for best performance, etc.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Eyefinity 1920x1080 (x3)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am open to anything, reason for posting this is because I'm trying to find out what to purchase, either dual cards, single card, sli or crossfire, whichever is going to give me the best performance, and works excellent, pretty much the best way to build a set-up at this time.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

7970 would be the best Price/Peformance you could get. Its about 100-150$ less than a 680. And its a 3gb card so you should be fine with just one card. If you want to.... CROSSFIRE THAT B**CH!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Don't really have a budget, just trying to get the best at this time that I can..
USA.

As for that 7970, is that a better card than the 7970 lightnings? Whichever 7970 I'd get, I'd probably get crossfire..

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I would go for any GHz editions, preferably ASUS for the cooling solutions as you mentioned you wanted to OC. Sapphire has good cooling as well.

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

How come you would pick the ghz editions over the lightnings? From what I see on newegg, there are several different types of 7970's on the list, all from different brands, etc. Which is making it difficult for me to select what exact cards to get. How can I determine the best 7970's to get out of that list? Normally I'd go by the price tag and just assume the higher they cost the newer, more raw performance cards they are. I'm not sure how to determine which cards are actually the best.

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I've heard that both sli, and cf has issues, and some are better off then others, but wouldn't the radeons actually be better performance, and quality than the nvidia cards you're stating?

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

There's nothing special about the lightning, all it is, is just the 1070 core clock but Gigabyte and others have faster than that. Its more a looks card. If you want you can get it, but 1. Its out of stock. And 2. There are cheaper 7970's that are faster.

The 7970 cf has slightly better performance, but two 670 gtx are a good option, amd cards doesn't have more quality, performance yes, but quality, no.
Nvidia has better support for SLI than amd for crossfire, if you check the web for reviews, most will say that two nvidia cards have less stuttering and more smoothness, also nvidia has indeed better drivers for it.

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

By all means I'm not looking for a looks card, I'm simply looking for the best , fastest, highest performance card(s) that I can pick up right now, or if I need to wait a little bit of time for a certain upcoming release that's suppose to blow away any of the current cards.

If the 7970's are indeed the best choice, of performance and highest quality currently available then I'd love to go for that in crossfire, and would like to pick up the best cards available in the 7970's category. If they are indeed the top dogs at this time, what cards would you say to get?

As for the other user stating about the SLI and everything, is that something to consider, or will any of all of this make a big difference? I'm hoping for the best and everything, I don't want to pick up 2 "x" cards and find out I made the wrong decision.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Currently 2 7970's in crossfire is the best. As django said though nvidia has the upperhand when it comes to games that it will support. But again its the best (now) you can get. You might as well wait for the 700 Series GPU's as rumored the "GTX Titan" is supposed to be release later this month and thats their main flagship card. Well know forsure in the upcoming weeks when exactly it will be. But if you need something right now that will last you for awhile then go ahead and get a CF 7970. If you dont, wait for the newer 8000/700 series gpu's as what I've read so far. ARE PRETTY DAMN GOOD!

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I could stick with my CF 7770 GHZ edition cards and wait a bit before upgrading to 2 newer graphics cards for the new releases. Now besides the titan which is their main new power house coming out, when is AMD suppose to release the newer cards that will compete with the titan, or be better off than the titan if the 7000 series isn't already?

There's only the geforce titan coming, the rumors says it's going to be released by the end of the month, and that it will outperform the 690 gtx(again rumors) and that will carry a price tag of 700-900$, but it's all rumors, until something official comes out or review of it, there's nothing in concrete.
There's no date announced for the 700 series or 8000 series, some reports says only for the fourth quarter of the year, they might get released.

jwl24

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Will/Is the titan outperform the CF 7970's? Or the 7990??

ikaz

Distinguished
Also note if your running CF and don't notice any of the mirco studder then you probably wouldn't noticed with the 7970 cf. That being if you can wait about a month or so I would I hope at that point they will have previews of the new cards. On another note if you were to pull the trigger right now AMD is offering like 5 free games if you buy a 79xx CF setup, “Sleeping Dogs,” “Hitman Absolution,” “Far Cry 3,” “Tomb Raider,” “BioShock Infinite,” and "Crysis 3" just look up AMD never settle bundle.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

As of now no one knows, but its supposed to be the strongest single card ever to release. So I'm sure that 2of them would be beast. There suppose to release at $899. NVIDIA is announcing the 700 series cards this month so I would wait and see how everything is going to be.