Sign in with
Your question

MSI Radeon HD 7850 Power Edition OC 2GB Performance Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2013 8:55:31 PM

About a month ago I purchased an MSI Radeon HD 7850 Power Edition OC 2GB GPU, and I've had some issues with it.
Basically, regardless of the game I throw at it, there are FPS spikes. Certain games have more than others, but even games that ran peachy on my old GPU (Geforce GT 520) have them with this one.
I have the most recent drivers from Ati.com.
Computer Specifications:
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 3.62 GHZ
2x4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
MSI Radeon HD 7850 Power Edition OC 2GB
Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Xtremegear 500W ATX Powersupply
1920x1080 Acer Monitor
Windows 7 64 Bit OS

The card runs about 50C~ running Tera Online Maxed out
30C~ Idling

Any ideas why I'm having these issues?

If you need more info please feel free to ask, thanks guys!
February 10, 2013 2:25:58 AM

Did you uninstall the old Nvidia driver before installing the AMD driver? When I change cards, I like to do a driver uninstall, run CCleaner, and then boot to Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper. Have DS remove any remnants of old AMD, ATI, and Nividia graphic driver remnants it finds in the registry. Reboot and then install the new driver.

CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Driver Sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:07:28 AM

Yeah, I did that exact process when I installed this.
My Onboard GPU is an Nvidia card though, so I'm not sure if these Nvidia files that remain after both the CCleaner and DriverSweeper were ran are meant to stay or not.
However, I did install the drivers with the disk originally, then via steam, then via MSI, then via ATI... could this present an issue?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 6:09:03 PM

Are you saying you installed the drivers repeatedly? Different sites' version of your driver? I don't know if that's your problem, but that is asking for problems. Only install the driver once! With Nvidia drivers, every install will first uninstall the existing driver first... at least it tries to. But sometimes there are glitches.

I would perform the above sequence of operations I mentioned again. Then install the correct driver from the Nvidia site.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers
No more. Only update to a new driver when a new one is released. And no more multiple driver installs.
m
l
February 11, 2013 2:45:08 AM

Alright, did a driver re-install, I am noticing a major drop in lag spikes, so thanks!

I have been experiencing a few 'Device Driver has stopped working but has recovered' errors, do you know what's causing these?
m
l
February 11, 2013 3:01:27 AM

device driver stopped working is either a problem with the gpu, or drivers. Also your power supply may be a piece of crap and is not delivering enough power to the card. Also your cpu is fairly low end for gaming. A motherboard BIOS update may also help on that board.
m
l
February 11, 2013 4:47:35 PM

Now that you have the system running with just one iteration of the correct driver, it might be a good idea to run CCleaner again; do the Clean and Registry both. It isn't a cure-all, but I run it at least once a week and have never had a single issue related to a corrupted registry or garbage files hogging resources.

Here is a place to start you search for answers to the "device driver stopped working..." error message.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
m
l
February 11, 2013 10:09:08 PM

Can't do much about the Fx-4100, iam, but I'll take the BIOS update advice into effect.

Will do Clutch, is running the 'Clean free space' worth it?
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:10:11 PM

Rvby1 said:

Will do Clutch, is running the 'Clean free space' worth it?

If you are referring to Tools/Drive Wiper/Wipe Free Space Only, no. That is only for secure wiping your drive's free space for re-selling so that no one can recover your erased data. Kinda like DBAN.
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:10:24 PM

Oh, crap, getting artifacts. Could the factory OC be OC'ing it too far?
1200 Memory Clock
950 Core Clock
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:10:58 PM

clutchc said:
If you are referring to Tools/Drive Wiper/Wipe Free Space Only, no. That is only for secure wiping your drive's free space for re-selling so that no one can recover your erased data. Kinda like DBAN.

Oh, alright.
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:42:19 PM

from the factory O/C? No, I wouldn't think so. Artifacts can be caused by many things. Overheating of the card, for one. Take it out and blow the dust out of the heat sync and fan. Make sure the card gets plenty of airflow. (see if the artifacts return with the side cover off the case) Another cause of artifacts could be driver issues. But we should have covered that, unless you need to roll back the driver to an earlier version.
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:53:24 PM

that powersupply is of poor quality. that could be ur culprit right there.

m
l
February 12, 2013 12:44:08 AM

clutchc said:
from the factory O/C? No, I wouldn't think so. Artifacts can be caused by many things. Overheating of the card, for one. Take it out and blow the dust out of the heat sync and fan. Make sure the card gets plenty of airflow. (see if the artifacts return with the side cover off the case) Another cause of artifacts could be driver issues. But we should have covered that, unless you need to roll back the driver to an earlier version.

I don't think this is the issue, honestly, according to multiple sources my temperature never goes anywhere near the unsafe temperatures.

@iceclock
Really? I've never been told it was poor quality anywhere else, but eh, you never know.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:06:28 AM

I THINK they're artifacts, they are just checkerboards with varying colors, like the pixels die out in a nice checkerboard pattern for a second or so. I'm not sure if this is a major issue or not, but it's extremely annoying.
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:17:13 AM

check anywhere its a cheap junk ps that they use in cyberpowerpcs and junk builds.

m
l
!