Which graphics card should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlkid

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello, currently i'm looking into getting a new graphics card for my PC, my specs are as follows;

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @ 3.8ghz
Ram: 8 GB
Current GPU: GeForce GTX 560ti

My case is huge, so I can fit any, i'm looking for something that would be a good if not great upgrade for around the 300$ range, any help?

I hear AMD Video Cards have better compatibility with my AMD CPU, so maybe that would be preferred, and help please?!?!

Solution

Of course all games are going to show fluctuations in FPS. The best way to get the frames smoothed out is to lower a setting or two, then enable Adaptive VSync.

The 560 Ti was known to be a very cool card, but the 660 Ti should be even cooler. The problem with focusing so much on temperatures, however, is that the manufacturer targets a certain operating temp and sets a fan profile that maintains that temperature. Some target higher...

Kewlkid

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Yeah I figured, but see, what I forgot to mention was that i'm trying to play BF3. I have 1 gb VRAM, and after about an hour of playing my game gets choppy.

And now i'm here ~~

Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory. It's the best card in your price range imo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003#top

For $300 or less, you have your choice of some very good, custom model GTX 660 Ti's in the range of $260 and up.

Here is an idea of what your performance improvement would be (+~25-35%), more if you choose one of the overclocked 660 Ti's:

perfrel_1920.gif

Kewlkid

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I understand that, but the reason i'm getting choppy game play is because i'm assuming the GFX card is running too hot, so without buying a water cooler all together wouldn't bigcyco1's suggestion be best?

If it does run seriously cool, like said, I think that would be something worth looking in to, it is also ahead of the GTX 660ti on the benchmark tests, or so I think so @_@ ? Also, I think I was right about Amd working better with AMD, so wouldn't I get optimized performance with the AMD card?

or, am I missing something?

Kewlkid

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Ok, what about Planetside 2? Right now, I am jumping between the two games, I can barely get it to stay stable at 60 fps, would that be a GFX card problem or a CPU problem? Regardless, The difference in FPS seems negligible, 1.1 fps? Will the 660 give me as much trouble with temps as the 560?

Of course all games are going to show fluctuations in FPS. The best way to get the frames smoothed out is to lower a setting or two, then enable Adaptive VSync.

The 560 Ti was known to be a very cool card, but the 660 Ti should be even cooler. The problem with focusing so much on temperatures, however, is that the manufacturer targets a certain operating temp and sets a fan profile that maintains that temperature. Some target higher temps for quieter fan operation, and others target the opposite. So, it's not so much the temperature that should be a concern, but the rate of the fan necessary to maintain that temp. Anything below 75% fan on Auto with temps in the mid-80c's up to 90c is very normal. Lower is better, of course.

I suspect that everything in your rig is working as designed temperature-wise, so I wouldn't base that on a purchase/upgrade decision. In any event, make sure that your case and video card are cleaned out from excessive dust to rule that out of the heat equation.

By the way, Planetside 2 is a GPU-accelerated PhysX game, so you would need to upgrade to the GTX 660 Ti or another Nvidia card to continue to experience those effects.

Also, be sure to update to the latest Nvidia drivers as they include specific Planetside 2 enhancements.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.