Sign in with
Your question

Comp freeze, no video at boot. Video card culprit.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2013 12:02:00 AM

cpu - intel i5 3330 3.0ghz
mobo - msi h61m-p31 g3
video card - Radeon hd 6770
HDD - WD 320gb 6gb/s wd3200aaks
psu - raidmax 500w
os - win 7 home x64 premium

I was browsing Firefox w/ Torchlight running in the background when the freeze happened. Restarted my comp and my monitor wouldn't detect any video. Tried both of my video card's DVI ports (was using HDMI), to no avail. I get video once I connect to the on-board VGA.

I've also done a mem test, cmos reset and currently chkdsk. I've also removed power cord and held power button for 30 seconds. The only way to get the video back is to completely remove the video card and put it back in (just disconnecting the 6-pin doesn't work).

My computer had this problem this morning, too, but it wasn't because of a freeze, it was just the first boot of the day. I built this comp 5 days ago, so I'll get a replacement card once I'm sure there's nothing I can do to get it from crashing.

I've read that the minimum wattage psu for AMD card's is 450w. I figure the extra 50w isn't enough for the rest of my system, so should I just buy a new psu?
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 5:57:53 PM

Raidmax isn't super high quality, but AMD's estimations are for the whole average system with that card. They are also high and you could probably get away with a decent 320-350w psu with that card.

Do you have another computer you can try the card in?
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:06:49 PM

smeezekitty said:
Raidmax isn't super high quality, but AMD's estimations are for the whole average system with that card. They are also high and you could probably get away with a decent 320-350w psu with that card.

Do you have another computer you can try the card in?

The only other comp that could possibly try it with is only a pci-e 16x 1.0 . Not sure if that will make a difference. It's hard to really tell what it is because the comp has only had this problem twice. Since I've posted the question, I've yet to run into another problem, and I've been running the comp for at least 8 hours straight.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 5:17:31 PM

ziniphrix said:
The only other comp that could possibly try it with is only a pci-e 16x 1.0 . Not sure if that will make a difference. It's hard to really tell what it is because the comp has only had this problem twice. Since I've posted the question, I've yet to run into another problem, and I've been running the comp for at least 8 hours straight.

PCI-E 16x 1.0 will work ok just somewhat lower performance.
m
l
!