Big suprise 7850 vs Gtx570

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 3d marked a 1gb 7850 Once at default (free) resolutions and uncountable runs with the GTX 570 and much to my surprise

3Dmark11

7850 by around 250 points

7850 AMD 5549 points
core@900mhz stock
ram@ 4800MHz stock
13.1 drivers

vs

gtx 570 NVIDIA 5255 points at it's highest
1.0 core@920mhz
Mem@4000MHz
306.23 drivers

AMD 5549 points

NVIDIA 5255 points

Q6600 @3.6 450 FSB Ram 900Mhz

win 7 home premium

I will run the 7850 as overclocked as possible and get back to you.

On another note the Q6600 as I have it overclocked does not bottle neck a nicely overclocked GTX570 So that is something to think about....

Any questions or advice. I am far to lazy to cut and paste pictures and links but what reason could I possibly have to make this up, The 7850 is from another build where the board had to be sent away.

I just completed a run at 1100 core and 1300 mem 6003 3dmark 11 points

I feel the card has more but I am possibly going to sell this so I`d like to think I have taken it easy on it and simply tested it.

I`m leaning toward memory speed as the reason for this but I`m not quite as savy as I like to think I am. interested in anything anyone has to say or think.

4745454b

Titan
1st, its 3dmark. I would say it really doesn't matter what the scores are. 2nd, I'm not sure why this is a big deal. Isn't the 7850 around the speed of the GTX570/680? Don't your findings confirm this? I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see any surprises here.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Not really all that surprising. Take a look at this comparison between the two cards. Radeon HD 7850 vs. GTX 570. The cards are pretty close in most of those tests. However, with the recent Radeon driver improvements (likely not included in the testing) and the fact that the Radeon HD 7850 is newer tech than the GTX 570, the 7850 has the advantage.

Having the OC on the 570 I figured should have it out in front, but in related news I was playing borderlands 2 for a bit, frankly I didn`t notice physics but the frame rate was much higher and gameplay was considerably smoother in a worthwhile way.

Other findings 3.6GHZ C2D isn`t holding back the GPU at all, nicely overclocked cards are not seeing an end of the line.

I ran the latest drivers for amd. nvidia not so much there is 1 whql driver newer than 306 when I benched it last.

Personally I was shocked, I wonder about the 1080P settings though i`d like to see the results maybe this weekend if I am not to cheap i`ll by the full version just to see.

Are you saying you are not surprised a 570 or 7850 topped out isn't bottlenecked by the Q6600? Honestly I was.

4745454b

Titan
For gaming I'm not surprised no. I'm sure if you tried more games you can find some where the Q6600 just can't cut it. But for most games the Q6600 is fine. Remember that most games are coded for consoles, and they haven't seen an update in YEARS. I game with a i5 750 at stock clocks and have no problems. Sure I can find some games where my chip needs to be OC'd but the games I play have no issues. You don't need i7 chips OC'd to 4.5GHz to play video games.

Edit: You also said you have your Q6600 clocked to 3.6GHz. Drop it back to stock and see how bad the scores drop. For most games any quad core at 3GHz+ will do fine.

That is not what I was addressing. The cards were not bottlenecked at all.......not that some games are more cpu dependant that is a given and not the point I am making. Q6600 is not a bottle neck to gtx 580 or better despite constant debate to the contrary. Simply put when frames are low Q6600 isn't a bottle neck getting graphics from the card to the screen which was being paraded around toms for the last few years.

The Q6600 generally isn't a bottle-neck for gaming, especially with a high overclock such as yours. People saying otherwise years ago may have been referring to the fact that a much cheaper dual-core often beat it back when there were just about no games that scaled across four cores very well.

It appears I was 2 whql behind, will test again, as mentioned there are not really any surprises here but frankly Im bored and I am seeing some interesting stuff.

The motherboard in the new build was bad it got RMA'd

I won't be doing that on my gaming machine however as you mentioned there are "potential" complications.

Still thinking about it but that night I was talking all that trash I slapped in the gpu and the asrock board i had for the light gaming i3 build simply will not post

It was more of an observation....

I understand this topic is going nowhere but interesting or useful input would be appreciated in place of whatever it is he is doing here. The thread was started for general interest, frankly if he's interested in continuing to not offer anything of value he could always go play games or go have a drink somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.