SLI my GTX670 wait for a single Maxwell or go AMD?

G

i'd really like to beef up my GPU performance. Am having a reference single 670 2gb plugged up to a 600w seasonic psu now and not really satisfied with it. I should have gone for a aftermarket version. Anyway dont really know if Maxwell will be that much of an increase in GPU perf over the gk104 chip. will be buying a haswell chip in june so i might pick up a GPU during then too.

My specs are currently

Casing: Cooler Master CM 690 II

Core i7 870 CPU w Hyper 212 evo+ GT
Leadtek reference GTX 670 card
Seasonic 600w PSU
MSI P-55A G-55A mobo
Crucial M4 SSD
2 120mm inlet and exhaust fans
1 20mm side exhaust fan
12gb ram(DDR3)
2WD HDDs comprising of one 1TB and 1 500gb.

I've heard good things about the high end range of the AMD GPUs such as the 79xx series. Are they good?

I've checking my local listings for nvidia GPUs. What's the best AM 670 on the market for performance if i go for sli? should i look at 2gb or 4GB versions?

Can i get a GTX680 to pair with my 670?

Thanks in advance

LeoMatrix

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
What is aftermarket version?
670 is only a few % slower than a 680 and is also better than 7950.
And no you cannot sli 680 and 670. It would make no sense if you switch to 7970 or 680 right now. Your best option is sli 670. Second best is to wait for next gen gpu which will be released in q4 2013. Or wait for Titan which is only few weeks away...
May also need a better psu :D

G

Hmm.. a gpu that comes with an aftermarket cooler for OCing? something like the MSI PE

Maxwell will be released in 2013 Q4? would an SLI card be better than a new gen?

Here are your options:

Update power supply to 850+ watts
buy another 670 for performance close to 2X except for games that won't SLI.

Update power supply to 750+ watts
Sell 670
Buy Titan for more than 2X performance on all games.

Wait until the end of the year and MAYBE the 780 and/or8800 will be out.

First option is cheapest.
Second is the most fun.
Third really makes no sense. Life is short.

G

Can titan be used for gaming? i heard its for rendering or something that requires more compute power?

This month Nvidia is coming out with the Titan, which is a consumer gaming board based off a partial GK110 processor. It will have about the same graphics power as a 690 according to early reports and will cost about $900. Plus a cool 6GB of VRAM. Since it is a single processor, no problem with SLI compatibility drivers etc.

Both Nvidia and AMD have put off their normal upgrades to late this year. Frankly, I'd not hold my breath for AMD. They are being squeezed.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Notice the key word in that article title: "Report: Nvidia GeForce Titan MIGHT Outperform GTX 690".

With either one you are looking at a large price. If I were you I'd just go with a SLI 670 setup. In my opinion that is your best option, although you would probably have to upgrade your psu a bit to be safe.

That's some "star" level advice. Seriously, if you can wait just two to three weeks you can see if the Titan is all it's hyped up to be. Say, it costs $800 and has better performance than two 680's in SLI, get it. But if it has 20% better performance and costs $1000, forget it and get the 670.

G

I dont think i'll go with titan though. Im going for a MSI 670 PE SLI to hold me steady when haswell comes out, then i'll wait for MW in 2014.

Right now my PSU is a seasonic 620w. Is it enough to handle a SLI setup with a haswell chip/ LGA-1150 mobo?

that Q4 rumor is for amd 8k series. but then some people speculate nvidia might do the same for their 700 series (kepler 2.0). so no that 2013 Q4 release is not for Maxwell. also i don't think nvidia are ready to release Maxwell based gpu until TSMC are ready for mass production with their 22nm node.

well that Titan is specifically tweak for gaming purpose. the DP capabilities of the chip most likely will be severely crippled by nvidia. btw why you're not satisfied with a single 670?

G

I see. thanks for clarifying!

Hmm really want to beef performance up as it's struggling to run ultra on bf3 and skyrim. :(

G

1680x1050@ 60 hz

I see some flickering on skyrim and the card doesnt really seem to cope with skyrim ultra at all, as well as sims 3. It just seems to have low fps.

Can a reference 2gb card run skyrim at ultra?

Ultra and then some. I use a 670 at 1920x1080, in 3D (which cuts FPS in half) I get a rock solid 60FPS even with 50+ mods. I think my processor in marginally stronger but you should not have any issue with Skyrim what so ever.

Try moving to the newest beta drivers if you haven't already, and updating Skyrim to the newest version. Also I believe there is some bug with the way Nvidia drivers handle Skyrim that can lead to poor framerate, if you try downloading the Nvidia Inspector program and resetting the profile for Skyrim to defaults that might fix it. Don't know a great deal about the other games though.

G

Does the amount of mods affect the game? im not sure how to check for FPS rate in game,currently toned down to high as ultra seems a bit of a problem now even with the new beta drivers from nvidia.