MN-500 - Sharing Dial Up Internet Connection

I am trying to use a MN-500 to connect a desk-top
(connected to the MN-500 via ethernet) and a lap-top using
wireless networking. Both systems are Windows 98se. My
desk-top accesses the internet via dial-up because that is
all I can get where I live. I can share files and
printing, but can't get internet sharing to happen. Can
the MN-500 be set-up to just be a router and not mess up
internet sharing?

Thanks,

JRam

Pradeep

Dial-up can't be shared via your 500. Use ICS on your
desktop to share your dial-up and configure 500 as bridge
for the laptop for wireless access.

Actually, you CAN share your dial-up Internet using the MN-
500. The problem may be your O/S. I have 4 PCs and 2
laptops on a LAN and I am sharing my dial-up Internet
through my MN-500, wirelessly to the two laptops. One
802.11b adapter is the Microsoft one and the other is a
Belkin 802.11b adapter. It works flawlessly through both
adapters. I use WinXP as the Internet sharing host. One
laptop has 98se and the other has XP. They both connect
without issues. Email me and I can give you more details
on how to set up your LAN.
I also live in an area that only offers dial-up, but I
have been sharing my connection across five to six PCs,
simultaneously, for almost two years now, it's great.
Can't wait 'til I get DSL or cable! :)

The setup you're describing is similar to using ICS with a USB satellite
system as shown in this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461&Product=MSbbn
A substitution of the dial-up modem in one computer for the USB device is
made, and you're on the way. The only "drawback" is the host computer with
the dial-up modem does need to be on all the time, otherwise it cannot share
the connection.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"kmreese" <kmreese@pc-everything.com> wrote in message
> Actually, you CAN share your dial-up Internet using the MN-
> 500. The problem may be your O/S. I have 4 PCs and 2
> laptops on a LAN and I am sharing my dial-up Internet
> through my MN-500, wirelessly to the two laptops. One
> 802.11b adapter is the Microsoft one and the other is a
> Belkin 802.11b adapter. It works flawlessly through both
> adapters. I use WinXP as the Internet sharing host. One
> laptop has 98se and the other has XP. They both connect
> without issues. Email me and I can give you more details
> on how to set up your LAN.
> I also live in an area that only offers dial-up, but I
> have been sharing my connection across five to six PCs,
> simultaneously, for almost two years now, it's great.
> Can't wait 'til I get DSL or cable! :)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I do have file and
print sharing working as well as connectivity to my ISP
email server. I can't get access to any web sites via
Explorer. I always get a IE Could Not Open the Search
Page error. Any additional ideas on this?

JRam

Yes, it has nothing to do with the networking setup and everything to do
with your browser being hijacked. Take a look at the information on IE/OE
MVP Sandi Hardmeier's site: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
You'll find everything is fine after you get the bad guys removed from your
system.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"JRam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I do have file and
> print sharing working as well as connectivity to my ISP
> email server. I can't get access to any web sites via
> Explorer. I always get a IE Could Not Open the Search
> Page error. Any additional ideas on this?
>
> JRam

Chris,

Thanks for your continued assistance. I went through as
much of Sandi's stuff as I could figure out on both my
computers and I am still back where I was before: File
sharing, printer sharing, email all work. Web browsing
doesn't. "IE could not open the search page." Both
systems are Windows 98SE. Any other ideas?

JRam

You may have a virus hiding on your system. See if this Knowledge Base
article will help:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159&Product=ie600
You may also want to check through MVP Jim Eshelman's information here:
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm