MN-500 - Sharing Dial Up Internet Connection

I am trying to use a MN-500 to connect a desk-top
(connected to the MN-500 via ethernet) and a lap-top using
wireless networking. Both systems are Windows 98se. My
desk-top accesses the internet via dial-up because that is
all I can get where I live. I can share files and
printing, but can't get internet sharing to happen. Can
the MN-500 be set-up to just be a router and not mess up
internet sharing?

Thanks,

JRam
7 answers Last reply
More about sharing dial internet connection

    Dial-up can't be shared via your 500. Use ICS on your
    desktop to share your dial-up and configure 500 as bridge
    for the laptop for wireless access.

    Actually, you CAN share your dial-up Internet using the MN-
    500. The problem may be your O/S. I have 4 PCs and 2
    laptops on a LAN and I am sharing my dial-up Internet
    through my MN-500, wirelessly to the two laptops. One
    802.11b adapter is the Microsoft one and the other is a
    Belkin 802.11b adapter. It works flawlessly through both
    adapters. I use WinXP as the Internet sharing host. One
    laptop has 98se and the other has XP. They both connect
    without issues. Email me and I can give you more details
    on how to set up your LAN.
    I also live in an area that only offers dial-up, but I
    have been sharing my connection across five to six PCs,
    simultaneously, for almost two years now, it's great.
    Can't wait 'til I get DSL or cable! :-)

    The setup you're describing is similar to using ICS with a USB satellite
    system as shown in this Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461&Product=MSbbn
    A substitution of the dial-up modem in one computer for the USB device is
    made, and you're on the way. The only "drawback" is the host computer with
    the dial-up modem does need to be on all the time, otherwise it cannot share
    the connection.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "kmreese" <kmreese@pc-everything.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, you CAN share your dial-up Internet using the MN-
    > 500. The problem may be your O/S. I have 4 PCs and 2
    > laptops on a LAN and I am sharing my dial-up Internet
    > through my MN-500, wirelessly to the two laptops. One
    > 802.11b adapter is the Microsoft one and the other is a
    > Belkin 802.11b adapter. It works flawlessly through both
    > adapters. I use WinXP as the Internet sharing host. One
    > laptop has 98se and the other has XP. They both connect
    > without issues. Email me and I can give you more details
    > on how to set up your LAN.
    > I also live in an area that only offers dial-up, but I
    > have been sharing my connection across five to six PCs,
    > simultaneously, for almost two years now, it's great.
    > Can't wait 'til I get DSL or cable! :-)

    Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I do have file and
    print sharing working as well as connectivity to my ISP
    email server. I can't get access to any web sites via
    Explorer. I always get a IE Could Not Open the Search
    Page error. Any additional ideas on this?

    JRam

    Yes, it has nothing to do with the networking setup and everything to do
    with your browser being hijacked. Take a look at the information on IE/OE
    MVP Sandi Hardmeier's site: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
    You'll find everything is fine after you get the bad guys removed from your
    system.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "JRam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I do have file and
    > print sharing working as well as connectivity to my ISP
    > email server. I can't get access to any web sites via
    > Explorer. I always get a IE Could Not Open the Search
    > Page error. Any additional ideas on this?
    >
    > JRam

    Chris,

    Thanks for your continued assistance. I went through as
    much of Sandi's stuff as I could figure out on both my
    computers and I am still back where I was before: File
    sharing, printer sharing, email all work. Web browsing
    doesn't. "IE could not open the search page." Both
    systems are Windows 98SE. Any other ideas?

    JRam

    You may have a virus hiding on your system. See if this Knowledge Base
    article will help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159&Product=ie600
    You may also want to check through MVP Jim Eshelman's information here:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    --

    > Chris,
    >
    > Thanks for your continued assistance. I went through as
    > much of Sandi's stuff as I could figure out on both my
    > computers and I am still back where I was before: File
    > sharing, printer sharing, email all work. Web browsing
    > doesn't. "IE could not open the search page." Both
    > systems are Windows 98SE. Any other ideas?
    >
    > JRam

Routers Dial Up Connection Internet Connection Internet Networking