Disk Data Transfer Rate, 5.9 on an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardwareIdiot

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I am wondering if there is something wrong with my windows 7 ratings. My SSD is in perfect working order and everything is blazing fast, but for some reason I only get a 5.9 for a rating. I am using the Intel X25-V SSD. I get the advertised speeds across the board when I benchmark it so I don't know what is pulling down my rating. Others are getting higher ratings with the same exact drive, and the drive itself is functioning perfectly and I am getting the proper speeds from it, so maybe it has something to do with W7 settings?

Mobo: ASUS M4A77TD
Ram: 4GB Gskill DDR 1600 (7.5)
CPU: BFG Geforce GTS-250 (7.0)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-core Black Edition 3.2 GHz (7.3)
HDD: X25-V (5.9)

A lot of people are showing the same results, even with SSD's. I have a V. Raptor and I'm getting a 5.9, but it is plenty fast enough for my use, so if you are getting good benchmarks, I wouldn't worry about it. Basically, it has to do with I/O sequences and such, especially in first generation SSD's. If you want to try and boost your score you can turn off/on caching/performance boost on the drive and see what it does.

Here is some more info on the matter:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx

daship

Distinguished
You have the Budget "Value" SSD with horrible right speeds the test evaluates the whole drive not read speed, write speed, size, ect.... You writes and size is why you have a low score.

You should have bought the 80G if your worried about your wei score. I believe others you see scoring higher have the 80 m series drive.

HardwareIdiot

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Incorrect, as I stated in my post people with the SAME EXACT drive (That means they have the 40gb value drive with the crummy write speeds) are getting a much higher rating. If it was the drive these low ratings would show up for everyone with this drive and not just me. That was the FIRST thing I checked to see, because I thought about that too and nope I found more than a few others with this same drive getting better ratings. So that is not the reason I am getting a low rating. If it was then EVERYONE with this drive would be getting a low rating, and that simply is not the case. I am very much willing to bet it has something to do with some sort of registry settings.

A lot of people are showing the same results, even with SSD's. I have a V. Raptor and I'm getting a 5.9, but it is plenty fast enough for my use, so if you are getting good benchmarks, I wouldn't worry about it. Basically, it has to do with I/O sequences and such, especially in first generation SSD's. If you want to try and boost your score you can turn off/on caching/performance boost on the drive and see what it does.

Here is some more info on the matter:

I am actually using a 2nd generation drive, the thing that confuses me is the IOPS for this drive are only 2 lower than the 80gb mainstream drive that the other poster is raving about. Like I said, though, it's weird since others are getting much higher ratings with my same drive. It probably has something to do with the other settings you mentioned, or maybe something else. The 40GB SSDNow and the X25-v from Intel are the same drives only different firmware. (Mine uses Intel firmware obviously :p)

21095.png

lbjgh

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I think I have a solution for the low WEI rating on some SSD's.

My Intel x25-v was only getting 5.9, the lowest WEI rating on my Windows7system.

I did all the normal stuff, i.e. flashing the drive firmware, checking for AHCI in the bios and making sure the correct AHCI driver was installed in the device manager, using HDDerase, clean install... all to no avail.

Well I was reading about the 100mb partition created when installing Windows7 and thought that might be the problem so I:

■used HDDerase to clean the drive
■used Vista install disc to create a single full HD partition on the SSD during the setup
■quit Vista install
■Installed Win7 on the previously created single partition
■ran WEI test
■Got 7.3 for the SSD
I don't know if the drive is actually faster now or if Win7 rates it correctly because of the single partition.

niceget

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I would like to add that being sure to disable System Restore and Page File to use just the physical memory will help to reduce wear and tear on the SSD. My OCZ Agility 2 simply blows me away and it's all I need for my C: Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.