Closed Solved

Graphics Card Upgrading help..

Alright so..

Current Specs.

Model: HP Pavillion p6774y
Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 840T
Ram: 6GB DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 7200rpm
Integrated Graphics (Unused): ATI Radeon 4200
Dedicated Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
Power Supply: Internal ATX 250W (100-240V)

So.. I've run into a little issue, apparently i bought too quickly at best buy, they didn't ask me anything about my computer and i realize now i overshot my graphics card i just paid for (XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card) Now i realize i have a 250W Power Supply, i will happily upgrade it to 500W Like it requires.. BUT. Now i have a few questions..

First off,
I'm looking for better quality, performance, and FPS. What i have right now hasn't let me down in games i play such as RuneScape (Maximum Settings, 4x Anti-Aliasing, Bloom etc) and Sims 3 on max settings as well.

Q.
What's better for gaming, NVIDIA or XFX?

Q.
Stick with the XFX R6750 Core Edition i bought, and upgrade the power supply? Or Exchange it for something else?

I'm not familiar with NVIDIA cards, so i want to know what would be better than the XFX R6750 Core Edition, and around the same price i paid ($80~)

Also as i'm not familiar with Processors and whatnot, I don't really know how compatible that graphics card will be with my processor.

Overall, i'm not able to pay a maximum of over $90 for the graphics card, and i would happily take suggestions for a power supply under $60.. 500W is the minimum, more would be better I would assume so any suggestions there would be great!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card upgrading help
  1. Best answer
    Radeon offers great cards for low and mid budget. XFX is a well known video card manufacturer for AMD/ ATI Radeon. Its a nice card for a low budget and seriously! i couldn't find anything better at $80.

So about the PSU. Corsair's new builder series offers good 500W PSU's for about $59

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  2. Thanks for the reply, but i also need to make sure that it's all compatible with my PC, I've never actually done more than upgrading a graphics card.. Gotta make sure i get all the right stuff on the first go, don't wanna try installing and find out there's not enough cables or it's not booting up etc!
  3. It is compaitable 100%
  4. Alright thanks, guess I'm heading out to best buy in the morning! I was already eyeballing the Corsair's new builder CX500 on their store page.

One final question!

What significant difference will i notice from my previous card to the new one?

IE.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
    to
    XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
  5. There will be big difference you will get direct x 11 and 2 gen new gpu.
  6. Great! Already excited and impatient, can't wait to get the PSU so i can hook it up lol, i couldn't even hook it up with the 250W (Which was a good thing) Because there was no extra power supply loose for me to plug it into.
  7. Best answer selected by MikeFiore.
  8. MikeFiore said:
    Alright thanks, guess I'm heading out to best buy in the morning! I was already eyeballing the Corsair's new builder CX500 on their store page.

One final question!

What significant difference will i notice from my previous card to the new one?

IE.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
    to
    XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card

=> More STREAM PROCESSORS
    => Ability to perform faster
    => Power efficiency
    => Graphic difference is visible
    => Good Overclock-ability coz of decent cooler
    =>
    =>
    =>
    =>
    =>
    => Blah blah blah

You'll be amazed with the difference chart!
  9. Unfortunately i don't know how to overclock, but i don't believe i can until i completely rework my PC, see it's factory.. It's not built by me, I'm just replacing things that i personally require as an upgrade.. For the PC i have, it's got a pretty good index rating, it's..

Processor: 7.3
    Memory: 7.4
    Graphics: 5.5
    Gaming Graphics: 6.5
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

I look to eventually get everything in par with 7.*+..

But it's good to know i picked a good card lol, I usually get.. uh.. 34-44FPS on average on RuneScape, haven't checked anything else, and that's with DirectX settings + Anti-Aliasing 4x and highest available graphics.. hopefully this card brings it to the 50s!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Graphics Product