Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Upgrading help..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2013 8:00:42 AM

Alright so..

Current Specs.

Model: HP Pavillion p6774y
Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 840T
Ram: 6GB DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 7200rpm
Integrated Graphics (Unused): ATI Radeon 4200
Dedicated Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
Power Supply: Internal ATX 250W (100-240V)

So.. I've run into a little issue, apparently i bought too quickly at best buy, they didn't ask me anything about my computer and i realize now i overshot my graphics card i just paid for (XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card) Now i realize i have a 250W Power Supply, i will happily upgrade it to 500W Like it requires.. BUT. Now i have a few questions..

First off,
I'm looking for better quality, performance, and FPS. What i have right now hasn't let me down in games i play such as RuneScape (Maximum Settings, 4x Anti-Aliasing, Bloom etc) and Sims 3 on max settings as well.

Q.
What's better for gaming, NVIDIA or XFX?

Q.
Stick with the XFX R6750 Core Edition i bought, and upgrade the power supply? Or Exchange it for something else?

I'm not familiar with NVIDIA cards, so i want to know what would be better than the XFX R6750 Core Edition, and around the same price i paid ($80~)

Also as i'm not familiar with Processors and whatnot, I don't really know how compatible that graphics card will be with my processor.

Overall, i'm not able to pay a maximum of over $90 for the graphics card, and i would happily take suggestions for a power supply under $60.. 500W is the minimum, more would be better I would assume so any suggestions there would be great!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 8:49:57 AM

Radeon offers great cards for low and mid budget. XFX is a well known video card manufacturer for AMD/ ATI Radeon. Its a nice card for a low budget and seriously! i couldn't find anything better at $80.

So about the PSU. Corsair's new builder series offers good 500W PSU's for about $59

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

February 9, 2013 8:51:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, but i also need to make sure that it's all compatible with my PC, I've never actually done more than upgrading a graphics card.. Gotta make sure i get all the right stuff on the first go, don't wanna try installing and find out there's not enough cables or it's not booting up etc!
Score
Related resources
a c 182 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2013 8:58:20 AM

It is compaitable 100%
Score
February 9, 2013 9:10:16 AM

Alright thanks, guess I'm heading out to best buy in the morning! I was already eyeballing the Corsair's new builder CX500 on their store page.

One final question!

What significant difference will i notice from my previous card to the new one?

IE.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
to
XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Score
a c 182 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2013 9:14:06 AM

There will be big difference you will get direct x 11 and 2 gen new gpu.
Score
February 9, 2013 9:16:43 AM

Great! Already excited and impatient, can't wait to get the PSU so i can hook it up lol, i couldn't even hook it up with the 250W (Which was a good thing) Because there was no extra power supply loose for me to plug it into.
Score
February 9, 2013 9:16:47 AM

Best answer selected by MikeFiore.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 9:22:30 AM

MikeFiore said:
Alright thanks, guess I'm heading out to best buy in the morning! I was already eyeballing the Corsair's new builder CX500 on their store page.

One final question!

What significant difference will i notice from my previous card to the new one?

IE.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR2 Graphics Card
to
XFX R6750 Core Edition 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card

=> More STREAM PROCESSORS
=> Ability to perform faster
=> Power efficiency
=> Graphic difference is visible
=> Good Overclock-ability coz of decent cooler
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=> Blah blah blah

You'll be amazed with the difference chart!
Score
February 9, 2013 9:26:58 AM

Unfortunately i don't know how to overclock, but i don't believe i can until i completely rework my PC, see it's factory.. It's not built by me, I'm just replacing things that i personally require as an upgrade.. For the PC i have, it's got a pretty good index rating, it's..

Processor: 7.3
Memory: 7.4
Graphics: 5.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.5
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

I look to eventually get everything in par with 7.*+..

But it's good to know i picked a good card lol, I usually get.. uh.. 34-44FPS on average on RuneScape, haven't checked anything else, and that's with DirectX settings + Anti-Aliasing 4x and highest available graphics.. hopefully this card brings it to the 50s!
Score
!