Closed Solved

GPU or Monitor ?

Ok, I have a nVidia 660 Ti video card, Games run fine, No artifacts, great smooth play. But when my computer first boots on, My monitor is a dark shade of like grey, You can see, but you can clearly tell the color is faded. Once windows fully boots and everything loaded, Color turns to normal. Is this a sign my monitor is about to go out, or is this the GPU ?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor
  1. It is fine.install the monitor driver and update your bios of mobo.
  2. ASHISH65 said:
    It is fine.install the monitor driver and update your bios of mobo.


    I have updated my bios, and what do you mean install monitor drivers ?
  3. bigtalon said:
    I have updated my bios, and what do you mean install monitor drivers ?


    LOL ignore him. Try this. Turn your monitor so you are looking at it from the widest angle possible. What difference do you see?
  4. Novuake said:
    LOL ignore him. Try this. Turn your monitor so you are looking at it from the widest angle possible. What difference do you see?


    Doesn't seem to be any difference that I can tell, I'm assuming you mean fading or something, The monitor works fine for the most part, Its just everytime I reboot, and windows loads, It has a dark tint, then as soon as its loaded and all my stuff is loaded it goes to normal
  5. bigtalon said:
    Doesn't seem to be any difference that I can tell, I'm assuming you mean fading or something, The monitor works fine for the most part, Its just everytime I reboot, and windows loads, It has a dark tint, then as soon as its loaded and all my stuff is loaded it goes to normal


    That does not really seem like a problem.

    Yes I meant fading. That usually indicates a failing inverter.
  6. Novuake said:
    That does not really seem like a problem.

    Yes I meant fading. That usually indicates a failing inverter.



    But, with other monitors, the color fading does not occur on windows boot, just on this monitor, Does this mean the monitor will go out soon or ? I mean for now it works, but with taxes if I need a new monitor now is the time :P
  7. Could the problem be that I'm using a VGA wire with a DVI adaptor instead of using an actual DVI wire ?
  8. bigtalon said:
    Could the problem be that I'm using a VGA wire with a DVI adaptor instead of using an actual DVI wire ?


    LOL odd, that was my initial thought. Yes it is definitely possible. VGA is just not as capable in some respects.

    What monitor are you using?
  9. Novuake said:
    LOL odd, that was my initial thought. Yes it is definitely possible. VGA is just not as capable in some respects.

    What monitor are you using?



    A Dell ST2320L, its about 3 years old, The Dell monitor drivers are installed, So I should try using a DVI cable first then yes ?
  10. Best answer
    bigtalon said:
    A Dell ST2320L, its about 3 years old, The Dell monitor drivers are installed, So I should try using a DVI cable first then yes ?


    Yes, preferably. Unless you have an HDMI cable, only then will your monitor run at 1080p. For some reason your monitor does not support full HD via a DVI port. Which is weird.
  11. Novuake said:
    Yes, preferably. Unless you have an HDMI cable, only then will your monitor run at 1080p. For some reason your monitor does not support full HD via a DVI port. Which is weird.



    I had this $70 hdmi cable I was using for my ps3, Ran my monitor from that and omg the difference is amazing, and the fade at the boot is completely gone, You my friend are a genius thank you 1000 times over, I almost went and bought a $300 monitor today
  12. Best answer selected by bigtalon.
  13. bigtalon said:
    I had this $70 hdmi cable I was using for my ps3, Ran my monitor from that and omg the difference is amazing, and the fade at the boot is completely gone, You my friend are a genius thank you 1000 times over, I almost went and bought a $300 monitor today


    LOL its a pleasure man. But you kinda got there yourself too. ENJOY!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Monitors Graphics