Giving visitors internet access without access to my WORKGROUP files

Jomega

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi there,

There must be some obvious solutions to this simple need; but after much searching, I have failed to find any - so any help will be MUCH appreciated :)

I have a wired home network (all cables, wireless is disabled) on a broadband router (BT Home Hub 3.0), where every computer has full access to every other one for file sharing, all on one windows WORKGROUP.

I want to allow house guests to be able plug their own computers into my router for simple internet access WITHOUT being able to have access to my WORKGROUP network and files (maybe not even be able to see it).

What are my options for achieving this?

Ideally I would like to just somehow block the entire WORKGROUP access, so as not to have to mess around with setting lots of User permissions and constant logons/passwords for each access or session.

I have looked into trying to add specific network Users Permissions (instead of ‘Everyone’), but got stuck trying to add network users under network permissions (since only local users appear). Also, it seems there may be a possibility of using a different subnet addresses rather than the usual 255.255.255.0 using Static IPs for each of my WORKGROUP computers.

But really, I’m still completely confused and would welcome ANY suggestions!

Set up:
My main files are stored on USB drives connected to a small netbook, simply running Windows XP Pro, which acts as a kind of file server – this is 95% of the need for shared access.
Then there are other computers on the WORKGROUP running Windows XP Pro, Vista and Windows 7 all with full access to each other’s files.
As I have no proper server, I believe that I can have no Domains,

Thank you :)

Jomega

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks riser - that's it!! That's exactly what I want to do; but I honestly don't know how to setup security correctly :(
- I've been looking for a step-by-step guide, and can't find one!

Any ideas where I could find a good guide, or could you help me with the specifics?
I'm just overwhelmed by all the options :eek:

Cheers!

riser

Illustrious
Easy enough.

In a workgroup you have local users on each computer. You probably have your shares open to 'everyone' or whatever it is on a desktop (sorry, I work in enterprise environments with different security).

Basically, on each computer you want to create the same identical user accounts:

Computer1:
User1
User2

Computer2:
User1
User2

Each user should have the same password on each computer. When user 1 logs in to Computer1 and tries to access Computer2, it will use Computer2's User1's credentials to authenticate Computer1 User1 on it. I made that confusing, I'm sure. :)

Whatever you shared out, you would want to remove the current group/user it is shared to and add your User or Group to that share (if group, it should contain all users who would have access).

I'm guessing you are using Windows 7? What computer OSs are you running? Win7/Vista/XP?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6809331_share-folders-workgroup.html

Jomega

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

YES, YES!! I'm getting it - THANK YOU riser :)

As mentioned under 'My setup' in original post, I have XP Pro, Vista and Win 7 in the WORKGROUP, with the primary file serving PC a netbook on XP Pro .

Can I just see if I've understood everything you've said?

1) Currently, I'm sharing via Everyone, and this must be removed on all PCs under Sharing Permissions

2) I have 5 Computers on this network, and so I must setup all 5 Users with identical credentials (logon and pasword) on all 5 machines (for full access between all)

3) Then I will (optionally, but seems a good idea) create a new group (using Computer Management / System Tools / Local Users and Groups / Groups ) with all those five users in that group, again across all 5 machines.

4) Then when I go to Sharing Permissions for each drive/ folder I wish to share in each computer, I will now see the new Local Group name appear to give my Permissions to

5) I assume I can do all this using Simple File Sharing?

Then they should all connect seamlessly, once intially logged on to Windows.

Phew! Right I think I have that - I will now go and try it ... if I've missed something, could you let me know?

MANY Thanks :bounce:

riser

Illustrious
You got it. Sounds like you know more about it than what you think. Simple File Sharing should cover it. If you can't add the group, add each individual user. I always create groups and apply permissions to a single group as opposed to individual users but that is from working in an enterprise environment with thousands of peope.