GRAPHICS CARD BURNED WITH FLAMES AND SMOKE

rratnasara

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I built the below mentioned system couple of days ago and it was working fine for about three to four hours 2/8/2013.
But today while I was playing Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 the graphics card burnt with flames and smoke.

no overclocking done to ether of graphics card or the processor.

guys need some help as Asus is saying that the this type of things are taken as physical damage.

Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
ASUS z77-VLX Motherboard
Antec 920 Liquid Cooler
Kingston Hyper X 8GB 1600Mhz Memory
OCZ SSD Vector 128GB
ASUS GTX680 DCII OC VGA 2GB
Antec 520W 80+ Bronze HCG PSU
Silverstone RV03 Casing
Logitech MK220 Keyboard + Mouse Wireless
Samsung 24" LED

rratnasara

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Oh by the way I was on high (MAXED OUT) graphics with average 60 FPS (on FRAPS) playing for about two hours in the morning when this happened. There is no sign of damage to the card outside it looks brand new. But the card is still burning out if I turn on the PC for just for 1 sec.

rratnasara

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Hi Kari,

by the way I got this assembled from a PC assembling company. I returned the PC back to them to do their best.

Sorry I couldn't take any pictures before.

anyway I removed the card and inspected their is no sign of burn it's the bad smell coming out of the GPU.

Once fixed to the PC it burns spitting out flames where the copper heat sinks meat the GPU.

What Asus is saying is that it is a physical damage.

I tried explaining them. But no help.

I Know for damn sure I didn't do anything for it. But it's very hard to tell them. Card is under warranty till 1/2/2016.

rratnasara

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Hi,

As soon as I saw the flames coming out I turned off the PC immediately.

Even when I took it to the shop when they turned it on the card was burning.

So I told them that it was nothing to do with me.

But mainly I am worried about two things.

The person who helped me to build the PC told that the 520w Power supply unit was more than enough for the above mentioned system. However I have heard for the gtx 680 card you need at least a 650w Power supply. So I'm not sure whether this happened due to that.

The other thing is I explained them that they have given me a faulty card. But they don't accept it as a Hardware failure. What they are saying is that the I brought a physically damaged GPU. Basically burnt GPU.