Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrade from 660 TI to 680 Worth It?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 9, 2013 5:46:39 PM

I am thinking to upgrade from my 660 ti but really not sure. I am able to play any game that i want even Crysis 3 beta with maximum details but between 40 and 60 fps, I really like to play 60+ fps thats why I am thinking o upgrade to a 680, but I am not sure if worth to wait until 700 series arrive and pick up a 780 or 770, what do you think? I haven't had any experience with Radeon but I am not considering because they consume a lot more power and I have heard the drivers some times have issues and stop working.

More about : upgrade 660 680 worth

February 9, 2013 5:58:39 PM

swifty_morgan said:
60fps means absolutely nothing in terms of having a good gaming experience. morons that think you nee a gazillion fps shouldn't reply to threads like this. if the game plays good at reasonable settings and looks good nobody should even worry about that.

send me a check for the amount of the 680. I can "really" use the money if you're going to throw it away.


It means a lot to me, absolutely not the same experience playing at 40 or less like 30 fps with medium quality, if you think Far cry 3 on Ultra @60 FPS is the same with lower quality in 30 FPS you may need eye glassess
m
0
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 6:00:56 PM

thought you were worried about 60fps. now it's something else and I have no idea what you're talking about.

if you reply again include all hardware and monitor/resolution./
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 6:02:30 PM

Realistically you can't see better than 30FPS....
As long as the game runs smooth and the resolution is to your liking...you're good till you actually need a better card!
Now if we're talkin gaming in 3D well then I would be more serious about 60FPS cause you would have 30fps/eye...
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 6:08:09 PM

A lot of people can see much more than 60FPS. Just because maybe you can't doesn't mean that everyone can't.

AMD does not consume a lot more power except for the 7970 GHz Edition and the 7990 which is technically not an AMD card because it's unofficial. AMD's drivers are generally jsut as good as Nvidia's; AMD simply needs more time to get them good after each graphics generation launches. AMD has already got them great for Radeon 7000 cards. However, if you're more familiar with Nvidia, then there's little reason to switch right now.

If you really want to upgrade, then I suggest the 670 over the 680. Pretty much identical performance, but it uses somewhat less power and is cheaper. The 680 is pretty much a waste of money.
Share
February 9, 2013 6:09:53 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
Realistically you can't see better than 30FPS....
As long as the game runs smooth and the resolution is to your liking...you're good till you actually need a better card!
Now if we're talkin gaming in 3D well then I would be more serious about 60FPS cause you would have 30fps/eye...


Haha set a frame target of 30 FPS and start playing any game for about half hour, and then unlock the 30FPS to 60 or more and you will see the difference. No way you would want to play at 30
m
0
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
February 9, 2013 6:16:27 PM

john1587 said:
Haha set a frame target of 30 FPS and start playing any game for about half hour, and then unlock the 30FPS to 60 or more and you will see the difference. No way you would want to play at 30


what makes you think his machine is capable of even providing a minimum of 60fps?

"maxed out" as he says.............
m
0
l
February 9, 2013 9:32:49 PM

Ultimately it is up to your personal preference. Personally I would lower a few graphics settings just slightly to hit 60fps average before I spend money on a new card in the same generation. I believe the GTX 670 FTW should average you between 60-70 fps maxed settings in Crysis 3.
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 10:38:41 AM

Best answer selected by john1587.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 3:26:54 PM

MyUsername2 said:
Ultimately it is up to your personal preference. Personally I would lower a few graphics settings just slightly to hit 60fps average before I spend money on a new card in the same generation. I believe the GTX 670 FTW should average you between 60-70 fps maxed settings in Crysis 3.


I've been in at least two threads in the last week about Crysis 3 beta being too much maxed out for any current single GPU card and people requesting upgrade advice to get a better experience. IDK about hitting 60-70FPS averages unless the minimums are much lower.
m
0
l
!