Sign in with
Your question

Netgear WGR614 Router Issue

Last response: in Networking
March 15, 2012 3:04:09 PM

Hello,

I recently set-up a Netgear WGR614 Router in my parents' house. Everything seems to work fine, but their desktop PC, which is connected to the internet through the router via an ethernet cable, periodically loses it's internet connection. The lights on both the Netgear router and their comcast (Arris) modem appear to be normal when this occurs.

Every time I set it up, the internet works fine on the desktop PC and through the wireless network, but at some point the PC can't access websites. I then have to unplug the router and all it's cables, plug them in again the same way I did during set-up, and then plug the power for the router again. At that point, everything works fine again.

This happens multiple times a day. Help!
March 17, 2012 9:31:17 PM

I have the same router (WGR614 v7) with a similar issue. All my wired connections always work fine but my wireless decides to not work about once a week. The wireless icon on the router stays green but it's not sending any signal. The only way to fix it is to log into the router and reset the router every time. Is there a fix or are these routers just crap?
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:07:50 AM

Interesting... for me it is the wired connection that goes out, while the wireless signal works fine. Unfortunately, it happens at least 2-3 times a day, and the wired connection is hooked up to the "main" computer that most people in the house use.

If anybody has any ideas on a fix I'd love to hear it, but I'm starting to think about a new router, because I can't seem to solve this issue.
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:45:47 AM

That sounds very similar to a situation I was dealing with. At first at thought it was my router since I knew the modem connection was fine. But it kept happening so in order to get to the bottom of this I decided to call my Internet/cable company.

It turned out that it was a lose wire or low signal around my area. So I suggest you double check with your Internet provider before stressing out over the router being the problem. Some routers do tend to be crappy and this is why it is very important to always look at reviews before making a final purchase.

Hope that helps!

Buying wireless routers is a lot easier when you check out some of the great wireless router reviews over at http://www.wirelessrouternerd.com
m
l
!