Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bad time to buy a card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2013 7:38:39 PM

Hello,

i've been scouring news sources and looking for an answer... about when does nvidia refresh their line? i keep hearing march-april based on past years, and i see the 690 is coming out...

i'm new to this so sorry if it's more obvious than i'm aware, but do prices drop year-on-year, and does nvidia generally refresh or are they holdin out for "post-kepler" cards? i've been perving on newegg/tiger direct and prices really havent changed... i see the 690 is coming out, but thats way out of my budget. i'm so close to pulling the trigger on a 660ti or 670... and i know the notion of having the latest and greatest is silly because something new is always gonna come out... but i would feel bad if new cards were only a month or two out.

TL;DR is there any evidence beyond rumor that nvidia will refresh the 600 series this spring or should i just buy now?

More about : bad time buy card

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
February 9, 2013 7:43:54 PM

The 690 gtx is available for some time, like more than six months.
You mean the geforce titan, which the rumors said it will be released by the end of the month and that it will outperform the 690 gtx with just a single gpu on the pcb(rumors) and that it will carry a price point between 700-900$, again just rumors.
There's no release date for 700 series, and i don't think it will be that soon.
So just get a 660 ti or 670 gtx, depending on your budget.
February 9, 2013 7:48:59 PM

The consensus opinion is that the GTX 7xx series isn't coming out in the next 6 months. As for the Titan, as it's more of a high-priced limited-edition novelty than a harbinger of cards priced for us mere mortals...
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2013 7:54:10 PM

Best answer selected by husker apollo.
Score
February 9, 2013 7:57:13 PM

thanks for the replies. if i'm comfortable going up to $400 should i get a 3gb 660ti or 2gb 670? i did look at the benchmark scores and it looks the the TI might out-edge the 670 ever so slightly. i have 0 knowledge about overclocking etc. and the amount of options is overwhelming for me (working on my first build).

edit:

or if i'm holding off anyway should i just spend the xtra $100 and go 680?
Score
February 9, 2013 8:03:13 PM

I think the titan will drop feb 18th honestly and i think its a bad time to buy a card now just to be honest. If thats the start of the 700 series then we going to be in for cards to come soon
Score
February 9, 2013 8:08:33 PM

determinologyz said:
I think the titan will drop feb 18th honestly and i think its a bad time to buy a card now just to be honest. If thats the start of the 700 series then we going to be in for cards to come soon

ok - this is more in line with the assumptions i had been making from the getgo. specifically in the article on the front page about the titan, they mention that cards are typically refreshed this time of year.

but nothing has been announced, and i think what i read about the radeon refresh is that it's more of a re-branding of the current line than any major performance upgrades. i've only been researching for like 2-3 months so i can't even speculate on year-on-year on trends, but the consensus is disappointment with radeon's upcoming line.
Score
February 9, 2013 8:11:32 PM

husker apollo said:
ok - this is more in line with the assumptions i had been making from the getgo. specifically in the article on the front page about the titan, they mention that cards are typically refreshed this time of year.

but nothing has been announced, and i think what i read about the radeon refresh is that it's more of a re-branding of the current line than any major performance upgrades. i've only been researching for like 2-3 months so i can't even speculate on year-on-year on trends, but the consensus is disappointment with radeon's upcoming line.

True, Idk why radeons is holding back but nv is ready to aim fire which is fine with me..I think also crysis 3 has some bit into it as well
Score
February 9, 2013 8:13:10 PM

1) Titan has been said to offer 85% of the performance of a 690
2) It has been confirmed by both AMD and Nvidia that they are planning on releasing cards in the last quarter of 2013, though mobile processors may come earlier. Now is the ideal time to buy as of what I know, you can always sell and upgrade in the futue.

I would personally buy either a 7970 GHZ edition card, or a GTX 670/680 Direct CUII, as they are my favorite GPU models and the 670 DirectCUII Top I have runs brilliantly.

Just thought I'd put in my opinion and what I have learned thus far regarding next gen GPU's.
Score
February 9, 2013 8:20:36 PM

mclovits said:
1) Titan has been said to offer 85% of the performance of a 690
2) It has been confirmed by both AMD and Nvidia that they are planning on releasing cards in the last quarter of 2013, though mobile processors may come earlier. Now is the ideal time to buy as of what I know, you can always sell and upgrade in the futue.

I would personally buy either a 7970 GHZ edition card, or a GTX 670/680 Direct CUII, as they are my favorite GPU models and the 670 DirectCUII Top I have runs brilliantly.

Just thought I'd put in my opinion and what I have learned thus far regarding next gen GPU's.

Actually i havent heard anyone OFFICIALLY say both ati/nvidia will be delayed but the link below might help due to whats been going around with amds camp. I still think its a bad time to buy a gpu because when you buy that 670/680 or other and the 700 series comes out you going to think F i should of waited. Talk around town the gtx titan will release soon and im thinking the 780/770 will follow but the link

http://www.overclock.net/t/1358209/wccf-amd-confirms-ra...
Score
!