Fisher RS-939 remote problem???

Last response: in Home Audio
August 27, 2004 12:36:32 AM

My cousin has a Fisher RS939 reciever. It works fine.
He did not the remote with the unit. The original owner
finally found the remote to the RS939 and gave it to my cousin.
They can not get the remote to work. New batteries and pushing buttons does
not work.
I had the same problem with my Sony reciever. Went to the Sony store and
tried the remote on another unit. It worked. The salesman told me I pushed a
button and set the reciever so it would not respond. Went home and fixed the
problem.
There are no stores with the RS939 unit in them. Is there a way to check the
remote to see if it is working?
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:07:34 AM

>There are no stores with the RS939 unit in them. Is there a way to check the
>remote to see if it is working?

At least two.

At Radio Shack or other electronics stores, you can probably buy a
small piece of plastic coated with a fluorescent compound. "Energize"
it by leaving it in sunlight for a minute or so (or hold it near an
incandescent light bulb). Take it into a darkened room, hold it an
inch or so in front of the remote control's IR emitter, and push
buttons on the remote. If the remote is working, the IR from the
remote will cause the energized fluorescent material to glow or
flicker with visible light for a few seconds.

Alternatively... aim the remote at a computer webcam, or at a digital
camera. Look at the computer screen (in the former case) or at the
digital viewfinder (in the latter) and push buttons on the remote.
The CCD imagers in these devices are usually IR-sensitive, and you'll
see a flickering light in the viewfinder or on the screen.

Remote controls may cease to work if they are dropped onto a hard
floor. The shock of the impact can fracture the ceramic resonator, or
knock it off-frequency enough that the remote no longer transmits a
proper modulated data stream.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
August 27, 2004 9:20:01 AM

Occasionally I find that removing the batteries, randomly pressing a few
buttons, and re-installing the batteries, will "reset" a remote which is
locked up. Worth a try.

Mark Z.

"Dave Platt" <dplatt@radagast.org> wrote in message
> >There are no stores with the RS939 unit in them. Is there a way to check
the
> >remote to see if it is working?
>
> At least two.
>
> At Radio Shack or other electronics stores, you can probably buy a
> small piece of plastic coated with a fluorescent compound. "Energize"
> it by leaving it in sunlight for a minute or so (or hold it near an
> incandescent light bulb). Take it into a darkened room, hold it an
> inch or so in front of the remote control's IR emitter, and push
> buttons on the remote. If the remote is working, the IR from the
> remote will cause the energized fluorescent material to glow or
> flicker with visible light for a few seconds.
>
> Alternatively... aim the remote at a computer webcam, or at a digital
> camera. Look at the computer screen (in the former case) or at the
> digital viewfinder (in the latter) and push buttons on the remote.
> The CCD imagers in these devices are usually IR-sensitive, and you'll
> see a flickering light in the viewfinder or on the screen.
>
> Remote controls may cease to work if they are dropped onto a hard
> floor. The shock of the impact can fracture the ceramic resonator, or
> knock it off-frequency enough that the remote no longer transmits a
> proper modulated data stream.
>
> --
> Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
> Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
> I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will
> boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:18:46 PM

Many of the service centres have a remote control checker. The simple ones
are an instrument that can indicate of the remote is functioning. The more
sophisticated ones have a data output that can be read by the proper
instruments, or just simply viewed on a scope.

Some of the home video cameras will see IR output of the remote if you point
it in to the lens. This is a simple way to see if the unit is putting
anything out. If so, the next step would be to analyse the data output,
which not many places are set up to do.

Most of the time, the problems are with the remotes. But, it is also
possible that there is an internal problem with the receiver, or there is a
function on it disable the remote.

--

Jerry G.

!