Could my HDD be failing or infected?

cody14w

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hi, so awhile back i had some issues with Disk Errors involving "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block." and issues with Windows Explorer, And some amazing people helped me get those cleaned up until the last month or so i have been getting weird random APPCRASHES, like some involving system32 files, some game files like origins/league of legends/ and even my wireless adapter drivers which has me to think that my HDD is dieing but to be safe i ran complete virus scans with superantispyware, spybotS&D, Full webroot, and hijack this, all of which came up showing nothing but a few cookies which i got rid of, so im pretty sure this rules out virus's unless you guys have anything i could run that the other might've missed.

I also made a fresh backup file last night and this is the warning i got in my event viewer for it

"The backup operation that completed with warning(s) - Volume 'C:' has developed new bad clusters. This may be an indication of problems with your hardware. 4096 bytes have not been backed up because they could not be read. Please run the CHKDSK /R command on 'C:' and then rerun the backup operation."

and

"The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎03‎-‎22' has failed to back up volume(s) 'C:'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

Now could this even be a issue with maybe Windows 7 in some way? if so would formatting my HD and then doing a fresh install of W7 help? or would doing a format regardless possibly help incase its something i have installed messing everything up?

Also i have 2 HDDs both 1TB, one i use for Windows and all my downloads/programs and the other is for FRAPS and my Backup files to go into, Should i try removing my C: HD and replacing it with my FRAPS HD to see if it is the HD causing these errors?

And some other errors i have been getting but im not sure if these are involved, is when i awake my computer after its been in sleep mode for a while the volume is dramatically toned down until i raise/lower it in the volume control, and my Wireless Adapter or something with my computer shows up these errors in the event log every time i reboot

"Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address (Removed address just incase). The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."
But it is never able to obtain a address it seems and even though i have internet my net icon in the bottom right shows up like i dont.
The other error it gives me on reboot
"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0001."
"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0000."

EDIT: Also i forgot to mention, the application crashes persist until i run a CHKDSK/r then afterwards they work fine...for a while until a new appcrash arises somewhere else.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT2: Totally forgot to add this, these are some errors from event log that make me think my HD might be infected

"The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit."
and

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\**removed**:
Process 5084 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\**removed**
"

Some of my system specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
2 Separate 1TB Hard Drives
i7 930 Processor
6GB Ram

correon

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Try run a scandisk in diskmanager on your C drive - it will say not possible when windows runs but it will be run next time the computer is restarted - be aware this thing will take long time

cody14w

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah i actually just got done running one because my computer wasnt picking up my wireless adapter after it had a AppCrash, and whenever i went to the folder for it and tried starting the .exe for it manually it would say "Invalid File Name" then close.
So i ran a CHKDSK of my C drive and i noticed it picked up bad clusters or something like that of my League of Legends game files and a couple Windows System 32 Files but it said it replaced, But i left afterwards and didnt get to see if there was any other errors.

Rancid504

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Could be a failing hard drive. I see you already made a backup image so your data is covered. I recommend downloading the diag utility from whoever makes your hard drive (Seagate, western digital, etc...) and run the tests. The long tests can take a while to run but will let you know if the drive is good or not.

DarkMatterTrace

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
There are a tonne of malware utils you can run but tbh I don't think the issue is malware with those error messages. You can try this little fast tool if you want:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

But otherwise I would say +1 to Rancid504, best thing is to run extensive disk tests before you rule out the faulty disk. If it does not find anything I would recommend MajorGeeks or techguy forums for a manual malware check (just register and follow the guides).

Good luck with it hope you solve it

cody14w

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Ordered a new HDD last night but when i woke up this morning and plugged in my wireless adapter i got a BSOD which said Drivers_IRQL or something like that, when i rebooted and checked the problem reports it showed 2 errors, BBC Code: d1 and then a Video Hardware error, Is it possible this is caused by my HDD dieing or do i have another problem now with my GPU Possibly?