Black Screen - Is my video card dead?

G

I was playing a game on my computer, my system shut off (black screen, no blue screen or glitching) and when I went to turn my PC on the monitor would not sense a signal coming from any of the ports on the video card. In case anyone here can help me I'll try and neatly organize the things I've tried already:

(BTW: All situations have been tested with both power supplies.)
(Also, I have stress tested this card before and the temps never reach over 60C and the voltage supplied is always constant. Highly doubt the PSU is an issue.)

- Different Cables (tried HDMI+VGA+DVI)
- Different Power Supplies (tried a 575W and a 600W)

Monitor will receive a signal when video cable is plugged into video card for approximately 3-7 seconds at the startup screen, on fast boots it has even made it to the windows log-in screen.

So I tried using the mainboard integrated HDMI plug-in. I disconnected the power to the video card and plugged HDMI into the mainboard and the PC started up and there was a reliable video signal on the screen. Here is where it gets interesting though.

IF I have the video card plugged into the power supply and the HDMI plugged into the mainboard, the mainboard video signal does not transmit whatsoever, not even 3-7 seconds of onboard display like the video card was capable of. This indicated a possible PSU issue to me, but like I said I tried two more than powerful enough power supplies. I am suspecting it's the video card at this point, but some of these symptoms seem to be contradicting each other. The fan on the video card spins but the video signal just doesn't last more than a few seconds.

If there's anyone more knowledgeable who can assist me on this issue I would really appreciate it, thanks a lot guys!

Solution

Yes most likely but there is always the chance that your power supply caused it. Part of why I always suggest good names of power supplies like Seasonic, XFX, Corsair and Antec because the power supply can brick anything electric.
G

The first power supply is a Logisys, the brands not so great but the reviews were mostly positive on this particular one, the second power supply is one I picked up from the store (store brand) so probably not reliable whatsoever. But they are both still far over the wattage I need. I've had logs of the Logisys one also supplying consistent power to my video card without any issue.

The video card is an amd radeon hd 7850, from xfx. Your comment about the card taking over for the integrated HDMI really narrows it down to the video card for me. I have an old radeon hd 3650, I'm about to pop it in, and if it runs I think we know what's up. I'll let you know!

G

Yeah just tested the 3650 and it works fine, just one more question jnkweaver, knowing that my temps on the 7850 never went over 65C for the most part under full load, was it just a bad card most likely?

Yes most likely but there is always the chance that your power supply caused it. Part of why I always suggest good names of power supplies like Seasonic, XFX, Corsair and Antec because the power supply can brick anything electric.

Solution