HDMI Ports on Mobos

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
could the p8z77 v pro's HDMI port be used with my 42 inch plasma tv? if so would I just be able to view pictures, videos and surft the web?
In photoshop I work a lot with Sraw files could those be viewed?
and use something like the nvidia quadro 4000 for working with adobe premiere and after effect. 2 computer monitors for the 4000 and the hdmi port on the mobo to run the plasma tv... could this work. I need the other pci slot for a Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model.
Ide like to have what is above and hope I can also play adventure type video games that have great grafix.

Tom

It should work OK. Just remember as with any Plasma TV they do not like static images so just bear that in mind when using your computer with a Plasma TV.

Since you are running a Z77 based chipset as long as the CPU you are using has a integrated GPU you should have no problems.

If you have a CPU that has onboard graphics than the MB HDMI port can be used. If you don't then you need a graphics card and you use the port on the card.

Look here for the Intel chips that have iGPU http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-9.html
(AMD is the page prior)

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I am sorry the mother board is a Asus P8z77 v pro. when you say I will need a dedicated graphics card are you saying besided the nvdia quadro 4000? and if so do both video cards have to be the same?
I also need to have a space for a •Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Looks like I am good because I am planing on using the Core i7-3770K.
I am very thankful for your help. would I only be able to do the things i mentioned above? can i view pictures that I open in adobe bridge or photoshop on my plasma?

Tom

Which CPU are you using with your Z77.
Z77 is primarily for Ivebridge CPUs ie i5-3xxx or i7-3xxxx. These CPUs have a integrated GPU (HD4000) which is what is used for the HDMI output on the MB. You can also use the Sandy Bridge CPUs wich are normally a i5-2xxxx or i7-3xxxx. these normally have the HD 3000 integrated GPU (iGPU).

I may be wrong but I do not think you can output both the iGPU (Hdmi out on backplane) and an output from a discrete GPU (dGPU) such as the quadro 4000 at the same time.

added: i7-2700K incorporates the HD3000 iGPU.
You should be able to use the Plasma TV just like a monitor.
I have Both my i5-2500K and i5-750 along with a seperate DVD recorder (w/cable input) connected to my 32 Inch Samsung HDTV , and NO problems.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
3770K thank you for asking me because I made a typeo in my reply to jnkweaver.
I am glad because I was thinking if I needed 2 video cards and a sound card that is compatible with microsoft eindows driver model (not even sure that that is) I know I cant afford the other choice which would be a sound card with ASIO protocol.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
If I cant output both the iGPU (Hdmi out on backplane) and an output from a discrete GPU (dGPU) such as the quadro 4000 at the same time. could I do it if I had a second video card and if so do the video cards have to be the same?

i7-3770K has the HD4000 iGPU.

My system is a i5-2500K (W/HD3000) plus I have the ATI 6870 dGPU. The output to my HDTV is from the HDMI on the 6870. BUT I intially tested with out the 6870 using the MB hdmi when I built the system.

Added Many GPUs have multiple Video outputs and can provide an output to two monitors.
as To using a 2nd GPU, I think you can - But not my area of expertise. Someone else will chime in I sure.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
if the sound card that I need does not need the 2nd available pci port then I can always add on another video card later but if it turns out that i need 3 of these kinds of PCI ports I may have to change my mobo. I do know that the nvidia 4000 is a dual monitor card.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
while I have never checked I always thought the 4000 had dual display support becuase the 2000 did. but cant find those words for the 4000 only found 2 active display channels and am thinking that is the techno way of saying 2 display support :)

I think you can do it with Ivy ... some Sandies when introduced may have had problems.

And last night I had to take a utility knife and whittle on the rubber insulation of an HDMI cable for it to seat properly on an I/O shield. The bottom lip of the shield stuck out too far for my cable - LOL

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
or I could get a play station 3 and tell my wife its a blue ray player lol.. but i would rather play on the computer. I might order a 2nd video card that is a gaming card.
I hope there isnt something I am not aware of in doing this with a dual monitor system. it will be easier for me to add this kind of stuff now than later when the wife will want to know what its for but now i can just build it into the system.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I thought the GTX 690 might solve my problem :) it is supported by after effect but it is not listed with
the premiere specs.

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

•GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
•GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
•GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
•GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
•NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part

I dont understand this one at all :(.

I was happy for a moment.

Newer cards sometimes aren't listed simply because they are new. Ask the manufacturer directly if they will work.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I thought about that but it was listed for another program. anyway cost is becoming an issue and this will be just for business and it looks likes its going to be the quadro 4000. i just have to figure out what is the cheapest raid 0 adapter I can get and I will place the order.. finally :)