Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I power a GTX 680 w/ a 6+2 pin and 6pin connectors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 9, 2013 9:59:01 PM

Hi there. Today, I went out and bought a GTX 680 (THis one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). My power supply is able to supply the power needed; it's 750W.

However, I'm stuck with just a 6+2pin and an 6pin PCI connectors. If I plug these two in the two 8pin ports on the graphics card, will things work? Will something get damaged?

Thanks.
a c 307 U Graphics card
a c 157 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 2:01:16 AM

What is the make and model of your power supply? It doesn't sound like it is a 'true' 750W if it only has 1 x 6+2 and 1 x 6 pin PCIe cables. The short answer, however, is yes... it should work because the +12V header on the card is being fed. But if your PSU is a cheapie, you'll have problems.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 3:14:52 AM

clutchc said:
What is the make and model of your power supply? It doesn't sound like it is a 'true' 750W if it only has 1 x 6+2 and 1 x 6 pin PCIe cables. The short answer, however, is yes... it should work because the +12V header on the card is being fed. But if your PSU is a cheapie, you'll have problems.


It's an Antec "Earthwatts" 750watt power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 3:22:50 AM

You should be fine. Power supply come with 8 pin connectors that are split into 6+2 to suit differenc power need by difference GPU classes. So yes you should be ok.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 3:28:32 AM

hero1 said:
You should be fine. Power supply come with 8 pin connectors that are split into 6+2 to suit differenc power need by difference GPU classes. So yes you should be ok.


I only have one 6x2 connector though. The other is just 6, and the card needs two 8's. Is it still ok to just use the 6x2 and the normal 6 then?
m
0
l
a c 307 U Graphics card
a c 157 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 3:32:44 AM

ThePilotGuy said:
I only have one 6x2 connector though. The other is just 6, and the card needs two 8's. Is it still ok to just use the 6x2 and the normal 6 then?

The site you linked us to says it has 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:03:04 AM

clutchc said:
The site you linked us to says it has 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin


I checked the supply, it is that model, but the connecters it lists aren't there. I've looked though everything.
m
0
l
a c 307 U Graphics card
a c 157 ) Power supply
February 10, 2013 6:00:29 PM

ThePilotGuy said:
I checked the supply, it is that model, but the connecters it lists aren't there. I've looked though everything.

Then they owe you a replacement. Can you still RMA it?

It should have a pair of PCIe power cables hard-wired, and another pair on a common modular cable. You should have 5 modular cables and the power cord.
m
0
l
!