I've tried just about every way to enable DMA on my Liteon DVD-ROM (in device manager, Ali's IDE driver and cache utility, and in bios) and I still see, on start-up, that it's in PIO mode. When I tried to use WinDVD for the first time it also said that my drive didn't have DMA enabled. I checked my drive info in Sandra and it says DMA is enabled. ?!?
Liteon LTD-163 (16X DVD-ROM)
P.S. My DVD performance sucks now that I'm running on my XP333 W/ XP1600+. When I had the DVD-ROM on my old A7V W/ 800mHz Athlon my DVD performance was great. I have a feeling this is because I can't get the drive to run in DMA mode. Thanks for any help.
try it without the zip on the channel just to test.....it may be preventing the DVD from utilizing it's FULL DMA Speed.
Try this. I managed to reset my PIO mode to UDMA Mode 2:
1) Device Manager - Uninstall the relevant IDE channel
2) Reboot, configure everything in BIOS - enable Auto/UDMA
3) Device Manager - View Properties for the relevant IDE channel --> Use DMA when available
Voila. Should work for anyone.
Then again, my setup has an extremely peculiar problem of suddenly going back to PIO mode when I'm using the Secondary IDE Primary channel ie installing some huge software using the DVDROM on my KT333 with 4 IDE devices connected. I suspect it's a VIA/WinXP driver issue though, cause this problem doesn't occur when I have a spare Secondary IDE Slave