Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading Vista to Win 7 w/o installing Vista first?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 23, 2012 3:03:32 PM

I have a legitimate copy of Windows Vista with key codes etc and I have a legitimate upgrade disk for Windows 7. I had Windows 7 installed on a previous system build which had a HD crash and now I am starting again from scratch (wiyh backed up data).

Like a dolt, I installed Wondows 7 before I remembered it was an upgrade edition. I've looked all over the MS site and don't see a method I can use to Activate Windows 7 from this point. I'm hoping that someone here can tell me a way to use my legitimate Windows disks and keys without having to wipe the drive, install Vista and then install Windows 7 yet again.

It's aggravating to have legitimate software and not be able to use it without needing to trick the system - surely there is a way to not have to start all over?

Thanks
March 23, 2012 3:09:52 PM

When i did the same thing i was asked to install a disk from the previous version of windows (ie: Vista) then it continued with the installation.
m
l
March 23, 2012 3:18:59 PM

Crossfire newb said:
When i did the same thing i was asked to install a disk from the previous version of windows (ie: Vista) then it continued with the installation.

Not sure I understand your reply. I have Windows 7 Installed now and am trying to activate it. Do you mean I should try and install Vista over Windows 7 and the system will know what I mean (lol - I love using the do what I mean macro). I think I have painted myself into a corner and suspect that others may have done so too - so maybe someone has figured an out? - Unless I understand your commetn correctly and can put the Vista Disk in and providce the key ??
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2012 3:49:01 PM

Is it not letting you activate it? if you put in the key and it allowed the install it should activate without an issue. All my windows 7 installs were done off the "upgrade" disk without windows xp or vista being installed.

If your windows vista was OEM the 7 upgrade may have been tied to the previous system when you installed it and won't work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2012 4:18:35 PM

Call Microsoft's activation line --- the number that comes up when it fails the activation -- they will give you a proper response code to enter to activate once you give them the 2 product license keys --- If you used the Custom install option when installing then it will not have the correct license code in the files and will not allow the activation using an upgrade key -- but once you call MS and give them the keys they will provide you a response code that works (right now it thinks you are trying to use the upgrade without a proper qualifying OS so will not activate so calling in is the easiest\best method to get it activated properly.

HEre is a guide that details the procedure for contacting them
m
l

Best solution

a c 229 $ Windows 7
March 23, 2012 4:21:53 PM
March 23, 2012 4:50:56 PM

Best answer selected by Dienekes78.
m
l
!