Sign in with
Your question

120hz monitor whats next! 180hz? HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2013 12:09:01 AM

Hey. So, I posted a thread earlier this week about 120 hz monitors but for one reason or another it got taken down. Anyway, I will cut straight to the question - in the near future (2 years are so) do you guys think that more than 120hz monitors will be brought out? I mean, where will it end, we have had 60, now we have 120hz monitors, will there be a 180hz monitor next month (a year or two)!?

the monitor - http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2411T-Widescreen-1920x10...

I dont wanna spend £250 for a monitor for it to just be outdated like 1 year down the line, i heard the next step is 4k reolutions though, but at the same time those wont be a realistic choice for 5 years. But yeh as always guys, insight would be awesome!
February 10, 2013 12:14:28 AM

There are already 240hz TVs... anything higher than 120hz is generally used for 3D in order to have great than 60hz per eye.
a c 81 Î Nvidia
a c 132 C Monitor
February 10, 2013 12:22:58 AM

240hz TV's do not accept higher than 60hz of info. They weave in extra frames to try and smooth out the video. Don't expect that for monitors as it causes terrible latency issues, which causes problems for gaming.

Also realize that in order for higher refresh rates to matter for gaming, you need to also have FPS to match. While you don't need 120 FPS to make 120hz worth it, it is rare for a game to go higher than 120 FPS, making higher refresh rates pointless.

The only place it serves a purpose may be for 3D, which causes your hz to be half of what the monitor can do, as it splits the hz with each eye.

Anyways, there does exist one monitor that is higher than 120hz, it is the ASUS VG278HE, and it's 144hz.
Related resources
February 10, 2013 12:42:29 AM

Thanks man that knowledge bomb helped a lot, especially the connection you made with the fps. Yeah I don't see games like battlefield 4 and crisis 3 for that matter going higher than 120fps on high/ultra settings with my 680, even with 690 for that matter? So I think I'll get the monitor it apparently makes things look a fair bit smoother. Im still kind of confused though, so it is gpus that cause the fps we get right? When will a true beast come along that would make way for higher hz monitors? I don't know there's still something here that isn't clicking with me, I mean where's the boundary
a c 81 Î Nvidia
a c 132 C Monitor
February 10, 2013 12:54:19 AM

Generally speaking, dev's will push the higher visual quality over higher than 60 FPS. It takes the cutting edge SLI/CF setups to get over 60 FPS on modern games. Even with the latest consoles, dev's are already saying they will likely not go much higher than 30 FPS, and instead they will focus on higher visual quality.
!