Quadro 4000 is failing on first install

Allee

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

This is my first ever build and everything looks great except the Quadro 4000 is failing. I have the latest nvidia driver installed and my GTX580s are working (i.e. the driver seems good) but the Q4000 is failing. I took out the 580s leaving the Q4000 alone and windows forces the driver back to VGA. I tried it in different slots. The windows message is ""Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I am feeding a HP2711z monitor (27" 1080p). Another symptom is the screen is full of horizontal line segments about an inch long.

Any ideas?
------------
Mobo: Asus P9X79 pro, Memory: 64GB Vengance, PSU: 1200w Seasonic, Windows 7 Pro My goal is to have operating 2 - GTX580 Classifieds for CUDA processing and 1 Quadro 4000 for the monitor.

Allee,

I'm not an expert in the Quadro 4000, having never used one, but I have researched building a system extremely similar to yours, but instead using the Quadro 4000 with a pair of earlier generation Tesla GPU's- possibly C2075's- for the CUDA processing- a discount home supercomputer. The GTX 580 is, in my view, one of the great Geforce cards and I considered replacing the (extremely good and nice) GTX 285 (1GB) in my Precision T5400 [qc Xeon x5460 3.16GHz, 12GB RAM, WD RE4, Win 7 ULT 64] with a GTX 580 (3GB). However, as I learned more about Quadro capabilities in 3D CAD- how about 128X antialiasing?, I bought an FX 4800 (1.5GB), and the 4800 coincidentally has drivers and optimizations specifically for two important applications I use- Solidworks 2010 x64 and Adobe CS4 MC. BTW, I also use the HP 2711z monitor- fantastic!

When considering the Quadro 4000, I noticed a surprising rate of mystifying problems, as reported in customer reviews. If you look at the reviews of the PNY Quadro 4000 in the Newegg listing, it has 20% "1-egg"- reviews- high for Quadros in which most of the negatives anyway are for the prices! The Quadro 600 has 13% 1 eggs, but they're all (3) about performance- apparently people buy this $150 card expecting to blaze away on huge Solidworks assemblies! The Quadro 2000 for example has 0% 1-egg customer reviews. The Amazon reviews for the 4000 are better. On Newegg and elsewhere, I've read a number of posts about early 4000 failures, especially citing overheating problems. A sure sign that these run hot is the invention of the Gelid "Icy Vision" cooler for the 4000 >

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-VGA02&c=FR&pid=7957db614cc8817491295fd26a5ed5f2248e1f22ba49fa1005a1921dbb8da3d5&gclid=CKzAgo3jr7UCFZSf4AodrTAA2A

It reads as though you've tried the sensible fixes for this problem, but you might have a look at what appears to be a very good and methodical guide to troubleshooting Windows error 43 >

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorc/a/code-43-error.htm

Again, I'm not an expert, but it occurred to me that there may be a conflict of some kind between the GTX and Quadro drivers on the same machine, and possibly even dueling NVIDIA control panel settings as Geforce and Quadro will have probably quite different default settings. You might try removing the 2- GTX 580's and Quadro and completely uninstalling all GPU drivers and NVIDIA Control Panel(s) and applications. Then reinstall the Quadro card and the Quadro driver and ConPan only. If the results are positive and it works, then the Quadro is not at fault. Then, remove the Quadro, driver, and Control Panel completely, and install 1 GTX 580 and driver at a time and connect the monitor to the GTX. If the problem persists, then one or both of the 580's is at fault, you have an MB or memory hardware problem, or possibly a quirky or elderly BIOS. In that case, try another graphics card that you know to be good to isolate the problem to the GTX(s). I think that ASUS X79 pro MB has a convenient BIOS updating feature. Perhaps I missed it in your post, but what is the processor you're using?

Here's hoping it's the easy thing and good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

BambiBoom
Los Angeles