Sign in with
Your question

My laptop keeps freezing?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 4, 2012 6:09:46 AM

Hi,

I replaced my router a couple days ago and ever since, every time I do an activity involving audio, my computer just freezes up and I can't do anything about it except taking out the battery of my laptop. I don't know if this has something to do with my new router. I have replaced routers before in the past and I never had this type of problem. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

More about : laptop freezing

a b D Laptop
March 4, 2012 6:58:30 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

This would be pure coincidence unless "an activity involving audio" only means audio streamed through the Net.

Can you stop both wired and wireless connections to the new router and see what happens when you try to play a piece of music?

m
l
March 5, 2012 6:16:23 AM

I disconnected from my router and watched audio/video and my computer did not freeze. I think it does have something to do with the router. Any ideas? Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 12:10:02 PM

Even, I do not agree as your router something to do with your computer's freezing issue. A corrupt player might cause this issue. Try playing with audio and video files with a different player(try VLC player, if you do not have).

Do a PC tune up and check as how does your computer work after this:

Get the best t/s steps to tune up your PC
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/explore/10-w...

Watch my first wireless touch screen router. Its Almond from Securifi.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57383805-1/securifi...
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2012 1:59:11 PM

It's a bandwidth problem - actually more of a lack of bandwidth problem. Take the speed test at http://www.speedtest.net and see what results you get. Ignore the website's generous offers of so-called PC speedup software - there's really no such thing.

m
l
March 5, 2012 3:45:03 PM

SagaLout, I used the test from the link you gave me. PING 40ms, Download speed 5.44Mbps, upload speed 0.68Mbps. Is this bad? Sorry, I'm tech challenged!
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2012 5:04:42 PM

needshelp_50 said:
SagaLout, I used the test from the link you gave me. PING 40ms, Download speed 5.44Mbps, upload speed 0.68Mbps. Is this bad? Sorry, I'm tech challenged!

5.4Mb is a good speed by the standards of my Third World of Broadband 2.3Mb here in England but it depends on how many other computers you're sharing with and what they're doing at the same time. Two people streaming live TV is one too many and possibly even one doing that while another downloads music from -Tunes or similar.

I see your DSL is asymmetric - are you also in he UK and if so, which ISP do you pay?

m
l
March 5, 2012 6:16:32 PM

I'm sharing my router with one other computer and that person does not use the computer very often. However, we have been sharing the same router for years and there have been no problems until we switched routers a few days ago. I am in Canada and I my ISP is Telus. I also checked my system with Avira Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and nothing was detected (both using the free versions). Any suggestions? Do you think this is a problem with my router or my ISP? Or maybe something else? Thanks!
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2012 6:33:21 PM

One way to narrow it down a little further is to cable to the router and try that. If it improves, the problem is in the wireless

m
l
!