Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DNS Server Not Responding

Last response: in Networking
March 15, 2012 11:22:36 PM

I just got a brand new desktop today. Everything seems to be working fine except for the fact that i can't connect to the internet. I have several other devices wirelessly connected (iphone, ipad, laptop), but when I try to make a wired connection to my desktop, it just won't connect to the internet. I've gotten the message at one point that says that the DNS server is not responding. The weird thing about this is that when I first tried to connect, I was able to view the internet for a few minutes before it totally cut out. I have no idea what the heck to do and I've tried looking everywhere for a solution!

I have no idea what to do right now. Can somebody help me out?

More about : dns server responding

March 16, 2012 11:23:30 AM

Since this is a new desktop, I'm assuming it came with windows 7. Did you set up the networking? Take a look at this. When you are done, it should look like that last picture with both obtain an IP address automatically and obtain dns server address automatically. You may need to reboot afterwards.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-...
March 16, 2012 12:22:57 PM

I've definitely clicked those options, but I never restarted my computer after doing so...will go try it now.
Related resources
March 16, 2012 12:40:11 PM

No luck :*(

Thanks for trying to help though.
March 16, 2012 1:04:10 PM

If you open a command promt (possibly as administrator) and type in

ipconfig /all

Does it list an IP address and DNS for your network adapter? If not, it sounds like your router isn't set up for DHCP on the wired side.
March 16, 2012 1:58:47 PM

i know it sounds stupid but have you turned the router off and back on again
March 16, 2012 3:30:34 PM

mrfatbox - tried it and no luck

hawkeye - checked my router settings but will go back and look again for DHCP

sidenote, I decided to try out a seperate network adapter just to see if that would do anything. Picked up a D-link Wireless N300 USB adapter and now I've got internet no problem...leaves me to wonder about the network adapter on the motherboard but i will first try what Hawkeye suggested.
March 16, 2012 3:34:39 PM

alright, checked DHCP and it is enabled so I guess that's not it either then.

Best solution

March 16, 2012 5:28:18 PM

stingray240sx said:
mrfatbox - tried it and no luck

hawkeye - checked my router settings but will go back and look again for DHCP

sidenote, I decided to try out a seperate network adapter just to see if that would do anything. Picked up a D-link Wireless N300 USB adapter and now I've got internet no problem...leaves me to wonder about the network adapter on the motherboard but i will first try what Hawkeye suggested.

Glad it works, but it still makes me wonder if something else isn't coming into play. Some routers have seperate configurations for wired and wireless. So now you have to ask yourself, is it the network adapter on your computer that failed or is the router not set up properly for wired connection. If you have another device around that you could hardwire to the network, that would give you some insight.
March 16, 2012 6:23:41 PM

I tried doing direct connection to my xbox and Wii and both worked. Spoke with someone else and they suggested that maybe I pushed the mobo in a bit when I put in cable and so now cable isn't going in totally...I don't think that's the case though cause computer is till recognizing that the cable is there. Whatever...as far as i can tell, computer is working...i'm just very caustiously optimistic of the functionality of my machine now.

My new problem is that I can't wake my computer out of sleep when I've left it for a while, but that's a problem for another thread.

Thanks everyone for trying to help out! Much appreciated!
March 16, 2012 6:24:36 PM

Best answer selected by stingray240sx.
!