Closed Solved

Installed new SSD boot drive, want to repartition existing drive

I have a partition question and after scouring the Web, can't find anyone with the exact same situation as mine. Basically what I'm wondering is if I can delete a primary partition and then extend another, non primary into that space.

Here's what I have and why I want to do this: my laptop came from the factory with one 500GB SATA drive, split into two partitions (C, primary, and D, logical, each 250GB). The Win7 install was on the C drive. Recently, I installed a 120GB SSD as a second drive, and using the tools with it, copied the contents of my existing C partition to the new SSD, and then made the SSD the boot drive labeled as the C drive. So far so good, everything works fine.

Now, what I'm left with is this:
C: 120GB (SSD, now the boot drive with the Win7 install)
D: 250GB (SATA, the original D partition, Disk Management IDs it as a logical drive, extended partition)
E: 250GB (SATA, the original C partition, Disk Management IDs it as a primary partition)

So, I have the original "C drive" on E now... it's no longer the system/boot drive. Obviously I don't need the files on it as they are all on the new SSD. What I want to do is to delete all those files and then combine what's on D and E into one 500GB D drive as I have no reason to have the two partitions. Is it possible to just delete the E partition and then extend the D partition into the unallocated space? I'm confused because it seems as though the D partition may rely on the E partition being there since the E drive IDs as primary. Or would the D partition become primary?

I know I could just back up the D partition to an external drive, delete both D and E partitions, and reformat as one new D and restore the files, but I don't want to create more work for myself if I don't have to. Obviously I don't want to mess up the files on the D drive though, which is why I'm asking.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed boot drive repartition existing drive
  1. You may be able to delete partitions as you want using "Computer Management" in Windows.

Click Start/Computer/right-click/choose Manage/then choose Disk Management.

Or search for Disk Management.

When you see the drive you want to change, right-click on the windows pane for the drive, and follow the options. There are expand/shrink volumes, so there should be delete volume, and then expand the other to it.

Good Luck.
  2. A good start, but it didn't answer my question. I'm very competent with Disk Management. Please reread my concerns about primary vs. logical drives... I have some very specific questions.

Sorry if I come across as being short, but your info doesn't help me much as I already know how to use Disk Management.
  3. Best answer
    Ah, I see.

If there is nothing on the new D and E drive, I'd just delete everything, and then set it up as one large drive.

If there is anything on the D drive that you want to save, I don't know if you can delete E, and expand D, and set it up as a primary drive. You may be able to expand it, but maybe not set up as a primary drive.

Sorry for that.

Cheers.
  4. Best answer selected by answerman.
  5. That's the answer I was looking for... I didn't think it would work using Disk Management but was looking for confirmation.

I ended up using a Gparted Linux boot disk to boot the computer, and was able to delete the E partition and then move the D partition to the beginning of the drive, make it primary, and then extend it into the unallocated space from the E partition. Though I did back up the D drive first (yes, there were a lot of files there)... if it didn't work, your suggestion was what I was ready to do. Turned out I didn't need to.

Posting this in case it ever comes up again. It worked very well, but it was a LONG process (took almost 4 hours for Gparted to do its thing).
  6. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration SSD Partition Windows 7