Sign in with
Your question

Single vs. Dual Cards on Triple Screening

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:58:12 AM

So, I've talked about this on another thread i posted, but i need some more help. I triple screen ( most times, sometimes i dont. ) I need to know what GPU to buy. I run 3 17" screens, and i wanna play stuff like Crysis 2 maxed, but i dont know if i should get

1X Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X Edition 6GB
Or
2X Sapphire 7950 3GB ( or the 2 XFX 7870 dual fan 2GB)

What do you think?

The Resolution triple screening is 3840 x 1024

Problems that i have:

I play stuff like Guild Wars 2, which apparantely had some crossfire issues, I also heard Crossfired cards give you "micro-stuttering" and the life span is shorter...

Any help? Thanks!!
February 10, 2013 8:04:11 AM

Single card wont be powerful enough for 5290x1050 or smth like that. Unless you play the game on one monitor and you use the other for browsing and so on.
a c 76 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:26:04 AM

The 6GB card is meant to be used in crossfire to drive very very high resolutions. It won't do you any good at all.

The only logical choice of those two is to crossfire 2 3GB 7970s.

Micro stutter is not really a problem on high end cards.

Some games will always have issues with multi card setups. They generally get fixed.

I have no idea what the "life span is shorter" bit is but its not at all true. Crossfire only makes sense at the high end where you need more muscle to drive higher res, or to extend the usefulness of an older card and save money.

Since your at a pretty low resolution for multimonitor though id just get one 7970, see how it goes and get another later if needed
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:39:29 AM

unksol said:
The 6GB card is meant to be used in crossfire to drive very very high resolutions. It won't do you any good at all.

The only logical choice of those two is to crossfire 2 3GB 7970s.

Micro stutter is not really a problem on high end cards.

Some games will always have issues with multi card setups. They generally get fixed.

I have no idea what the "life span is shorter" bit is but its not at all true. Crossfire only makes sense at the high end where you need more muscle to drive higher res, or to extend the usefulness of an older card and save money.

Since your at a pretty low resolution for multimonitor though id just get one 7970, see how it goes and get another later if needed

Well, I'm probably going with dual 7970's then ( the 3gb). This is for a new rig, so im buying everything new... Would the xfx 850w power supply be good enough for dual cards. Does it have enough power and the correct cables/inputs?

This is the psu:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B0050751YS/ref=mp_s_a_1?qi...

Thanks!
a c 76 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 9:11:05 AM

Should be fine if you aren't doing anything intentionally crazy. The TDP of the 7970 is 250W which it would very rarely hit.
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 12:28:34 PM

So i found a XFX Radeon HD 7950 3Gb for 270€, which is cheap... Anyway there are so many freaking editions, and Amazon has all their specs mixed!!!

Anyway i Can either get 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.de/XFX-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speicher-Di...

2 of these:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0074CCDTS/ref=ox_sc_ac...

or 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.de/XFX-Radeon-7950-Grafikkarten-FX-79...

All i undersand is that the 1.st link card has only 800MHz, while 2nd link card has 900mhz... Any every forum/YT video says that the Core edition is worse than the DD Double Dissipation... WHY? the Core has more MHZ, but apparently has a "weaker" core...

Which one of those should i get?

If not, just post a link or a name of a GPU on Amazon DE under 270€or under!

thanks!
a c 76 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 9:11:29 AM

I personally don't like xfx GPUs. But I don't remember why lol. Sapphire is my choice for AMD gpus. That being said in general 7950s can be easily overclocked on your own but of you don't want to overclock 800 vs 900 is a 12.5% increase. Pretty good for similar price. But cooling matters more in crossfire

Side note, this is an international forum, but mostly English. I'm all for asking for people in your local country/language especially for purchasing, but if you can find the card specs in English might get better responses. Amazon is great but their specs/descriptions are pretty bad in general, and trying to track what they are from a different language people may give up.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:45:29 PM

Like I said before (in the different thread), there's a high chance a single 7970 will be enough for your needs. Don't get the 6GB version, it's a waste of money. You probably won't even use up to 2GB in most cases.

But, if you're dead set on 2 7950s, then by all means go ahead. Your power supply should be able to handle it no problem. Personally, among those 3 choices, I'd go for the Double D cards.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:57:47 PM

EzioAs said:
Like I said before (in the different thread), there's a high chance a single 7970 will be enough for your needs. Don't get the 6GB version, it's a waste of money. You probably won't even use up to 2GB in most cases.

But, if you're dead set on 2 7950s, then by all means go ahead. Your power supply should be able to handle it no problem. Personally, among those 3 choices, I'd go for the Double D cards.

I found a website in Slovenia, that retails them for just €10 higher than amazon, so im going for the Black DD

Do you think ill have problems with micro-stutter?
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 1:02:38 PM

gustafangus said:
Do you think ill have problems with micro-stutter?

I'm not sure. Micro-stutter can be classified as a subjective thing too. There are some people who never felt/seen it. And it doesn't happen to all games, you know.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 1:06:26 PM

EzioAs said:
I'm not sure. Micro-stutter can be classified as a subjective thing too. There are some people who never felt/seen it. And it doesn't happen to all games, you know.

I appretiate your quick posts. Im ordering today, so im going with xfx Black DD. ill reprt end of this week and. Ext week when Crysis 3 comes out!!

Thanks man :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 4:27:21 PM

I run 2x 7950's in crossfire, you'll love it and it is the best solution out of the options you gave. Most 7950's can easily be overclocked past the stock speed of a ghz edition 7970. My one 7950 was enough for most games, but I wanted to get closer to maxing everything out. So far I havent noticed any microstuttering or had any issues from my crossfire setup. So far I've played Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Sleeping dogs and a few others. I must say when you max out battlefield 3 with everything on ultra the game is on the threshold of becoming photo realistic at parts.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 8:01:44 PM

AdioKIP said:
I run 2x 7950's in crossfire, you'll love it and it is the best solution out of the options you gave. Most 7950's can easily be overclocked past the stock speed of a ghz edition 7970. My one 7950 was enough for most games, but I wanted to get closer to maxing everything out. So far I havent noticed any microstuttering or had any issues from my crossfire setup. So far I've played Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Sleeping dogs and a few others. I must say when you max out battlefield 3 with everything on ultra the game is on the threshold of becoming photo realistic at parts.

Thanks, i decided foe the XFX's 7950 Double Dissipation Black Edition, because of its high mem clock (5500mhz) and good core clock (900)

Ill update this once i get it (fri-sat)

Thanks.

BTW, does anyone knownif this PSU will power my GPUs? I mean if it has the correct connnectors (in the description it says it has 4 6-pin connectors) thats ok right?

http://www.dinokomp.si/product_info.php/products_id/286...
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2013 2:11:14 AM

I told you i would update, when i get it. And i barely got it this week, because one of the shops took 2 months and then i cancelled the order and ordered from Germany, but some other components, cos they didn't have some...

Anyway, thanks for you help, here are the final specs:

i7 3930K
Corsair H100i
7970 Crossfire
Asrock X79 Extreme4
Seagate 2TB
Corsair TX850
CM HAF 922

It's working so well, NO crashes, NO freezes, nothing, so thanks for your help! :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2013 3:06:59 PM

AdioKIP said:

Sorry to be opening this post up again but

I've had this system for about 3 months now (2x Sapphire 7970 OC Editions) and three 24" screens @5760x1080 and after an hour of playing stuff like Guild Wars 2 or Crysis 1,2 ect. i get like 70-80C on the top card and about 60-70C on the lower. I always set the fan speed up to 100% before gaming, but this is insane.

Is there a better way to keep my cards cool? I have the HAF 922 with a 200mm fan blowing in the cards.

Help?
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2013 8:49:57 AM

This is normal. The top card in a Xfire config always tends to run hotter. 80 is just fine for these cards. My top card tops out around 80 using automatic fan control. There was one time, after I installed a tv card, that I accidently jammed the fan on one of my cards. The card hit over 90 before I noticed it but kept going fine. If you want to reduce your temps, increase airflow in your case but outside of this there wont be much else you can do besides water cooling. Really I wouldnt worry about it, a 7*** series card is just fine hitting 80
!