Netflix streaming broken when in HD

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
My folks bought one of these HP's.. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03383171&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187034&prodTypeId=12454

I feel bad since I should have just built them a new computer. Anyways whenever they try to stream netflix content it takes a dive when it enables 'HD'. I tried upgrading the video driver (which could be done ONLY through HP), and it didn't do a thing(integrated intel hd 2000). The monitor they're using is a 23" at 1920x1080 res. Is the computer basically too weak to stream in 'HD'? Youtube seems to choke too, but when the video is fully 'downloaded', and restarted at the beginning it plays fine. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of just getting them some sort of pci card, but the mobo doesn't even allow that :whistle:

It sounds like their internet connection isn't fast enough to stream HD content. The HD 2000 integrated can handle HD playback okay. If you are running into lots of pauses or stutters while playing HD content, but the problem goes away after you let it sit and buffer for a while, that indicates that their internet isn't fast enough to stream HD in real time. They'll have to look at getting a faster connection, or they are going to have to just start a video, and pause it for a bit to let it buffer if they want HD content.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Which processor is it exactly? The link you posted shows 4 possibilities. If it is the Celeron G440, which is single core, 1.6Ghz (no HyperThreading), there is a possibility it could be bottlenecking the playback.

But like Supernova said, it is most likely the internet connection.

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks guys, I don't agree about the internet connection since they're getting an avg of 25 mbps down on speed tests. Also HD streams stream fine on my computer, and on their blu-ray player connected to a 1920x1080p tv. Youtube videos under 1080p stream fine as well even when not fully loaded. The cpu is a celeron g460 @ 1.8 ghz. The netflix HD stream even hickups after having preload the stream quite a bit. I understand how things can be clunky when the video is reaching the end of the gray bar. The netflix content seems closer to '1080p' res than the youtube videos. It really is some sort of transformation. The image becomes sharper of course, but the frames drop, creating a slowmotion effect with the audio being steps ahead of the video. I can take a video of it all happening if you like. Thanks again for the replies

Well I guess that means that single core Celeron just can't keep up with HD video playback. You might have to look at a CPU upgrade for them, though your options look to be rather limited with that motherboard.

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure that 'hardware acceleration' is enabled in their web browser, that offloads more of the work to the integrated graphics, and that might help performance a bit if the CPU is whats holding it back.

If possible, I would return that PC for either store credit or a refund... even if you take a loss.

The specs indicates that it has a single core Celeron G460 with an Intel HD graphic core (not the HD 2000, or HD 2500, just the plain old HD). The combination of the CPU and GPU is the problem.

Why did I say to return it even at a loss? It only has a 90w power supply. That is a severe limitation. While you can upgrade to a Core i3-2100T CPU, that CPU only has an Intel HD 2000 graphic and I'm not even sure if it can playback HD video without stuttering. The tiny 90w PSU means you really can't install a graphics card.

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Wow thanks for the responses, seriously. They bought this thing about 5 or 6 months ago, so I can't return it. I ran some sort of online, hardware detection scan through intel, that told me it was an Intel HD 2000. None of the updated drivers for the 'hd 2000' would work. I found a similar issue here in the forums, and the solution, only solution really, was to update drivers through HP. Did that, and nothing has changed. I don't have Hulu plus, so I can't check if hd works well with hulu :/ The hdd on this thing is probably 5400 rpm. If I put in an ssd drive do you think there'd be some sort of improvement? The HDD goes nuts when I try to stream HD content. I have an old amd x2 3400+ chip, plus 4 gigs of ram lying around..Might just clone the drive, strap in old parts to a micro mobo, and be content. Not sure if this would work with the hardware changes. Lol I think the os is the only thing worth keeping :/ but its all hp'd out, etc

The Celeron G460 does not have an Intel HD 2000, it merely has an Intel HD graphics core. "Intel HD 1000" to better distinguish the graphics core.

http://ark.intel.com/products/63913/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G460-1_5M-Cache-1_80-GHz

The Core i3-2100T has an Intel HD 2000 graphics core.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/Intel-Core-i3-2100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_10-GHz

TRENDING THREADS