Making it fit

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
July 8, 2005 4:40:11 PM

I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.

I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.

Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
a standard DVD.

There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
fit on a single disc

Anyone? TIA!

More about : making fit

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:40:12 PM

Not sure about shrinking the actual MPG, but check out DVD Shrink. It
may be able to shrink an ISO file (write the DVD to an ISO image file,
not a blank disc) or a folder of VOBs and IFOs.

Jerry

George Kerby wrote:
> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>
> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>
> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
> a standard DVD.
>
> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
> fit on a single disc
>
> Anyone? TIA!

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:40:12 PM

I would use DVD shrink. I would like to know that program did you use
to edit out the commercials?
July 8, 2005 5:06:29 PM

On 8 Jul 2005 12:40:11 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.

High quality is a big waste. Medium (or even Standard) would work. The
actual difference in quality is mostly related to the amount of
compression. Differences (if any) will show up in fast action scenes
(trhose with a lot of change).

>I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>
>Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>a standard DVD.

With Medium, I gound get over 2 hours on a DVD, or over 5 with
Standard.

Note that those times are the actual time on the DVD. If the source is
regular TV and commercials are removed, that's 3 hours for Medium and
6-7 for Standard.

>There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>fit on a single disc

TMPGEnc probably will. If that movie is on again, you may find it
easier to record it again using less than High. Medium should fit.

>Anyone? TIA!

[spam snipped]

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:13:55 PM

I use DVD2One. It's simpler to use and the last time I looked, it did a bit
more than DVD Shrink. Though DVD Shrink has a nicer-looking GUI and is
free. To edit out commercials, I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. It is
definitely *not* free, but it's a true frame editor and works great.

Regards,

Margaret

"LowQue27" <LowQue27@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would use DVD shrink. I would like to know that program did you use
> to edit out the commercials?

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:47:20 PM

In article <damc6301dgb@news1.newsguy.com>,
"Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> To edit out commercials, I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. It is
> definitely *not* free, but it's a true frame editor and works great.

yeah, with a horrendous interface.

VideoReDo is much better.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 8:35:22 PM

George Kerby wrote:
> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>
> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>
> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
> a standard DVD.
>
> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
> fit on a single disc
>
> Anyone? TIA!

If you use High, your DVD player may not play the file. Replay allows
for a higher peak bitrate in High than the DVD standard allows for. A
picky player may balk. You should always use Medium.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:24:21 PM

Hmm, it's also half the price. Where were you when everyone was
recommending Womble??????????? ;-) BTW Womble's MVW may be a bit daunting
at first look, but it's not difficult to use at all.

Regards,

Margaret

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <damc6301dgb@news1.newsguy.com>,
> "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> To edit out commercials, I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. It is
>> definitely *not* free, but it's a true frame editor and works great.
>
> yeah, with a horrendous interface.
>
> VideoReDo is much better.

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:03:46 PM

In article <damqro0k18@news3.newsguy.com>,
"Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> BTW Womble's MVW may be a bit daunting
> at first look, but it's not difficult to use at all.

Well, I started with VideoReDo a week or so ago, and got some edits done
VERY quickly.

Then I hit Womble to give it a try, and that interface is an utter mess.
I just want to cut commercials out and save an mpeg without them.
Womble made no sense to me, having come from VideoReDo.

Looks like I'm ponying up for VideoReDo.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:04:32 PM

In article <QOedncXBQsAUflPfRVn-og@giganews.com>,
"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> If you use High, your DVD player may not play the file. Replay allows
> for a higher peak bitrate in High than the DVD standard allows for. A
> picky player may balk. You should always use Medium.

I can take Standard mpegs right out of Replay and use Toast (Macintosh)
to burn video DVDs. They look superb.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:31:45 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:35:22 -0400, "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>George Kerby wrote:
>> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>>
>> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>>
>> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>> a standard DVD.
>>
>> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>> fit on a single disc
>>
>> Anyone? TIA!
>
>If you use High, your DVD player may not play the file. Replay allows
>for a higher peak bitrate in High than the DVD standard allows for. A
>picky player may balk. You should always use Medium.

Or Standard, which looks fine and lets you put over 5 hours on one DVD
(Medium is limited to about 2.5). Depending on the player (VLC works
OK), you may get the wrong aspect ratio on your computer, but DVDs
will play correctly.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:01:35 AM

I would too, but I already own Womble's MVW. I got it a about a year ago.
Maybe VideoReDo is relatively new?

> In article <damqro0k18@news3.newsguy.com>,
> "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW Womble's MVW may be a bit daunting
>> at first look, but it's not difficult to use at all.
>
> Well, I started with VideoReDo a week or so ago, and got some edits done
> VERY quickly.
>
> Then I hit Womble to give it a try, and that interface is an utter mess.
> I just want to cut commercials out and save an mpeg without them.
> Womble made no sense to me, having come from VideoReDo.
>
> Looks like I'm ponying up for VideoReDo.

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:30:27 AM

In article <danb3f016j4@news3.newsguy.com>,
"Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> Maybe VideoReDo is relatively new?

I have no idea. I heard about it just last week, went and got it, and
found it very easy to do just what I wanted.

$50, though...I'm still on trial period.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:51:43 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <damqro0k18@news3.newsguy.com>,
> "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>

>>BTW Womble's MVW may be a bit daunting
>>at first look, but it's not difficult to use at all.
>

> Well, I started with VideoReDo a week or so ago, and got some edits done
> VERY quickly.
>
> Then I hit Womble to give it a try, and that interface is an utter mess.
> I just want to cut commercials out and save an mpeg without them.
> Womble made no sense to me, having come from VideoReDo.
>
> Looks like I'm ponying up for VideoReDo.

Are you talking about Womble or Media Wizard?
Media wizard allows you to import the Replay's CA marker file as a
bookmark file. You add the bookmark file, it marks the commercials, hit
go and you're done. Nothing simpler than that.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:37:28 PM

Mpeg-VCR.
Thanks for the DVD Shrink suggestions. I'll give it a try.

On 7/8/05 11:59 AM, in article
1120841971.018205.153160@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "LowQue27"
<LowQue27@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would use DVD shrink. I would like to know that program did you use
> to edit out the commercials?

July 9, 2005 6:45:00 PM

Thanks Margaret. I have that program somewhere, just haven't used it. Like I
said earlier, I remove the commercials with MPEG Video Wizard's little
might try out DVD2One if I can find it.

On 7/8/05 12:13 PM, in article damc6301dgb@news1.newsguy.com, "Margaret
Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> I use DVD2One. It's simpler to use and the last time I looked, it did a bit
> more than DVD Shrink. Though DVD Shrink has a nicer-looking GUI and is
> free. To edit out commercials, I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. It is
> definitely *not* free, but it's a true frame editor and works great.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> "LowQue27" <LowQue27@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I would use DVD shrink. I would like to know that program did you use
>> to edit out the commercials?

July 9, 2005 6:45:01 PM

Hi George,

Here's the link to DVD2One. I bought it a long time ago, so it may predate
DVD Shrink. http://www.dvd2one.com/index.php Whereas DVD2One is a snap to
use, DVD Shrink's UI has confounded me on more than one occasion. But it's
free, and seems to work. :-) BTW, DVD2One has a version for MacOS-X.

Regards,

Margaret

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Margaret. I have that program somewhere, just haven't used it. Like
> said earlier, I remove the commercials with MPEG Video Wizard's little
> might try out DVD2One if I can find it.
>

> On 7/8/05 12:13 PM, in article damc6301dgb@news1.newsguy.com, "Margaret
> Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I use DVD2One. It's simpler to use and the last time I looked, it did a
>> bit
>> more than DVD Shrink. Though DVD Shrink has a nicer-looking GUI and is
>> free. To edit out commercials, I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard. It is
>> definitely *not* free, but it's a true frame editor and works great.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>> "LowQue27" <LowQue27@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I would use DVD shrink. I would like to know that program did you use
>>> to edit out the commercials?

> <><><><><><><><>

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:46:39 PM

Womble is the company that makes both MPEG2VCR and Media Wizard....

Regards,

Margaret

"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <damqro0k18@news3.newsguy.com>,
>> "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>>

>>>BTW Womble's MVW may be a bit daunting at first look, but it's not
>>>difficult to use at all.
>>

>> Well, I started with VideoReDo a week or so ago, and got some edits done
>> VERY quickly.
>>
>> Then I hit Womble to give it a try, and that interface is an utter mess.
>> I just want to cut commercials out and save an mpeg without them. Womble
>> made no sense to me, having come from VideoReDo.
>>
>> Looks like I'm ponying up for VideoReDo.
>>
> Are you talking about Womble or Media Wizard?
> Media wizard allows you to import the Replay's CA marker file as a
> bookmark file. You add the bookmark file, it marks the commercials, hit go
> and you're done. Nothing simpler than that.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:49:52 PM

Thanks, Mark. I really don't know how it recorded in High. Maybe I set it up
from the Powermid RF interface in the kitchen while the Replay unit is in
the Living room. The RF interface is nothing to be desired and sometimes
behaves erratically, if at all. I never go more than medium because I can't
see the difference.

Thanks to all.

On 7/8/05 1:06 PM, in article rg8tc1hcv4oo26epr1j5n35c8lf7hpkf2q@4ax.com,
"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2005 12:40:11 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>>

> High quality is a big waste. Medium (or even Standard) would work. The
> actual difference in quality is mostly related to the amount of
> compression. Differences (if any) will show up in fast action scenes
> (trhose with a lot of change).
>
>> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>>
>> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>> a standard DVD.
>>

> With Medium, I gound get over 2 hours on a DVD, or over 5 with
> Standard.
>
> Note that those times are the actual time on the DVD. If the source is
> regular TV and commercials are removed, that's 3 hours for Medium and
> 6-7 for Standard.
>
>> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>> fit on a single disc
>>

> TMPGEnc probably will. If that movie is on again, you may find it
> easier to record it again using less than High. Medium should fit.
>
>> Anyone? TIA!
>>

> [spam snipped]

July 9, 2005 6:49:53 PM

On 9 Jul 2005 14:49:52 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks, Mark. I really don't know how it recorded in High. Maybe I set it up
>from the Powermid RF interface in the kitchen while the Replay unit is in
>the Living room. The RF interface is nothing to be desired and sometimes
>behaves erratically, if at all. I never go more than medium because I can't
>see the difference.

Those (Powermids and compatibles) are very susceptible to
interferance, a problem which gets worse as you add to your A/V
system. I guit using then when I got tired of "reorient the antennas
to reduce interferance" several times a day.

I have used the Xantech system (sends control signals on the coax) and
RF controls.

>Thanks to all.
>

>On 7/8/05 1:06 PM, in article rg8tc1hcv4oo26epr1j5n35c8lf7hpkf2q@4ax.com,
>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> On 8 Jul 2005 12:40:11 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>>>

>> High quality is a big waste. Medium (or even Standard) would work. The
>> actual difference in quality is mostly related to the amount of
>> compression. Differences (if any) will show up in fast action scenes
>> (trhose with a lot of change).
>>
>>> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>>>
>>> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>>> a standard DVD.
>>>

>> With Medium, I gound get over 2 hours on a DVD, or over 5 with
>> Standard.
>>
>> Note that those times are the actual time on the DVD. If the source is
>> regular TV and commercials are removed, that's 3 hours for Medium and
>> 6-7 for Standard.
>>
>>> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>>> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>>> fit on a single disc
>>>

>> TMPGEnc probably will. If that movie is on again, you may find it
>> easier to record it again using less than High. Medium should fit.
>>
>>> Anyone? TIA!
>>>

>> [spam snipped]

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:55:03 PM

I knew there was another MacHead out there!
Elmo, what-if any-are some programs that you would recommend useful for
Replay folks, Poopli people, and the like?
I really would like it if Toast would do compression.
But I don't really mind being cross-platform: I can cuss out both boxes.
LOL!

On 7/8/05 6:04 PM, in article
elmop-7BAB7B.19043208072005@nntp1.usenetserver.com, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <QOedncXBQsAUflPfRVn-og@giganews.com>,
> "Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> If you use High, your DVD player may not play the file. Replay allows
>> for a higher peak bitrate in High than the DVD standard allows for. A
>> picky player may balk. You should always use Medium.
>
> I can take Standard mpegs right out of Replay and use Toast (Macintosh)
> to burn video DVDs. They look superb.

July 9, 2005 6:55:04 PM

In article <BEF54F75.2195A%ghost_topper@hotmail.com>,
George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I knew there was another MacHead out there!
> Elmo, what-if any-are some programs that you would recommend useful for
> Replay folks, Poopli people, and the like?
> I really would like it if Toast would do compression.
> But I don't really mind being cross-platform: I can cuss out both boxes.

Yeah, I'm a Machead. But forces of the world have led me to have a
Wintel box sitting next to it.

So, I use the best tool for whatever job I need done.

I started to use Nero to do editing and whatnot, but it's not fun or
easy. iMovie won't take .mpg files in; they have to be DV. There is a
program to convert .mpg to .dv, but it's dog slow and eats up disk
space. That's when I found VideoReDo on the Windows side--quick and
easy, and does the trick.

I use DVArchive (on the PC) to import shows, I use VideoReDo quickly to
cut out the commercials, then I move it over to the Macintosh and use
Toast to burn the DVD. I prefer it to Nero for this.

Now, for commercial movies that I want to copy, I do it all on the PC
with DVDShrink and Nero.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:41:45 PM

In article <BqWdnTFoCbo-k03fRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Media wizard allows you to import the Replay's CA marker file as a
> bookmark file. You add the bookmark file, it marks the commercials, hit
> go and you're done. Nothing simpler than that.

ReVue does the same thing, using some command line tools in the
background--and it's FREE.

Besides, there are a few shows that get the commercial markers wrong,
and I want to edit those manually.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:31:10 PM

I don't know... I downloaded a trial copy of Womble's basic editor and
got it to work right in only 2 tries..... (Of course so far I've only
tried it twice) I'd like to try the advanced one (Wizard) but in
truth.... I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get from it's pre-loaded
event markers Many of the shows I want to burn are "Smoked" event
marker wise

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

I used ReVue to do just this before I finally bought Media Video Wizard.
Because ReVue is not a true frame editor, it was difficult to get a perfect
cut where I wanted it. Sometimes it worked great, and others it took out a
little too much or left a little too much in. MVW, being a true frame
editor allows you to cut exactly where you need to. Perfect results every
time.

> In article <BqWdnTFoCbo-k03fRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
> Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Media wizard allows you to import the Replay's CA marker file as a
>> bookmark file. You add the bookmark file, it marks the commercials, hit
>> go and you're done. Nothing simpler than that.
>
> ReVue does the same thing, using some command line tools in the
> background--and it's FREE.
>
> Besides, there are a few shows that get the commercial markers wrong,
> and I want to edit those manually.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:59:02 AM

In article <daq03l0sav@news2.newsguy.com>,
"Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> I used ReVue to do just this before I finally bought Media Video Wizard.
> Because ReVue is not a true frame editor, it was difficult to get a perfect
> cut where I wanted it. Sometimes it worked great, and others it took out a
> little too much or left a little too much in. MVW, being a true frame
> editor allows you to cut exactly where you need to. Perfect results every
> time.

yeah, that's why I'm moving to VideoReDo.

I just watched the DVDs I burned of some stuff I did; you can't even
tell there was a cut. It was seamless. Pretty cool, actually.

I may make myself my own set of season 2 of Desperate Housewives...
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:26:20 PM

Yeah, pretty cool indeed. At this point I'm just saving movies &
documentaries off premium and PPV, so I only have to cut out front and end
matter. But there are a few TV shows that I may start to keep, in which
case I'll be doing more cutting. I don't regret buying Womble's MVW at all.
But if I were to buy today, I'd probably go for VideoReDo. Half the price,
and with a simpler interface. Maybe Womble will rethink their pricing now
that there's some competition.

> In article <daq03l0sav@news2.newsguy.com>,
> "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I used ReVue to do just this before I finally bought Media Video Wizard.
>> Because ReVue is not a true frame editor, it was difficult to get a
>> perfect
>> cut where I wanted it. Sometimes it worked great, and others it took out
>> little too much or left a little too much in. MVW, being a true frame
>> editor allows you to cut exactly where you need to. Perfect results
>> every
>> time.
>
> yeah, that's why I'm moving to VideoReDo.
>
> I just watched the DVDs I burned of some stuff I did; you can't even
> tell there was a cut. It was seamless. Pretty cool, actually.
>
> I may make myself my own set of season 2 of Desperate Housewives...

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:10:22 PM

On 7/9/05 12:49 PM, in article 0d30d1hc44krvlfb656l8of04os1jdaudd@4ax.com,
"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2005 14:49:52 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mark. I really don't know how it recorded in High. Maybe I set it up
>> from the Powermid RF interface in the kitchen while the Replay unit is in
>> the Living room. The RF interface is nothing to be desired and sometimes
>> behaves erratically, if at all. I never go more than medium because I can't
>> see the difference.
>>

> Those (Powermids and compatibles) are very susceptible to
> interferance, a problem which gets worse as you add to your A/V
> system. I guit using then when I got tired of "reorient the antennas
> to reduce interferance" several times a day.
>
> I have used the Xantech system (sends control signals on the coax) and
> RF controls.

I've thought about that approach. However, a friend told me that since I
have a 'Ground Breaker Feed' filter pair on the coax to prevent the picture
degradation due to different ground potential between the areas, (yes-the
house was originally wired in the 1940s) that the Xantech system may not
work. Your thoughts?

July 10, 2005 6:10:23 PM

On 10 Jul 2005 14:10:22 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 7/9/05 12:49 PM, in article 0d30d1hc44krvlfb656l8of04os1jdaudd@4ax.com,
>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> On 9 Jul 2005 14:49:52 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Mark. I really don't know how it recorded in High. Maybe I set it up
>>> from the Powermid RF interface in the kitchen while the Replay unit is in
>>> the Living room. The RF interface is nothing to be desired and sometimes
>>> behaves erratically, if at all. I never go more than medium because I can't
>>> see the difference.
>>>

>> Those (Powermids and compatibles) are very susceptible to
>> interferance, a problem which gets worse as you add to your A/V
>> system. I guit using then when I got tired of "reorient the antennas
>> to reduce interferance" several times a day.
>>
>> I have used the Xantech system (sends control signals on the coax) and
>> RF controls.
>>
>I've thought about that approach. However, a friend told me that since I
>have a 'Ground Breaker Feed' filter pair on the coax to prevent the picture
>degradation due to different ground potential between the areas, (yes-the
>house was originally wired in the 1940s) that the Xantech system may not
>work. Your thoughts?

The Xantech system requires a DC path between the signal inserter (at
the remote TV) and the coupler (at the A/V equipment to be
controlled), so it may not work through the filter. Xantech has
devices to maintain continuity around such places, but I have never
used them.

Are you sure you still need that filter?

BTW, considering ground potential, I have disconnected my cable in
certain places, and found a difference in ground potential of over
30V.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:56:15 PM

Some burner programs (IE: NERO) will re-compress to fit I do not know
how they do it so I don't know the quality of the job but to my eyes it
looks good.

DVD Shrink can also shrink files to fint... I've used it as well though
I normally use it to copy DVD's I wish to copy... Even if I don't need
to shrink them since it does such a good job

George Kerby wrote:
> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>
> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>
> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
> a standard DVD.
>
> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
> fit on a single disc
>
> Anyone? TIA!

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:30:33 PM

On 7/10/05 10:10 AM, in article m7e2d1h2br3l99fisqftidt537haa33i5s@4ax.com,
"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2005 14:10:22 GMT, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 7/9/05 12:49 PM, in article 0d30d1hc44krvlfb656l8of04os1jdaudd@4ax.com,
>> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>>> Those (Powermids and compatibles) are very susceptible to
>>> interferance, a problem which gets worse as you add to your A/V
>>> system. I guit using then when I got tired of "reorient the antennas
>>> to reduce interferance" several times a day.
>>>
>>> I have used the Xantech system (sends control signals on the coax) and
>>> RF controls.
>>>
>> I've thought about that approach. However, a friend told me that since I
>> have a 'Ground Breaker Feed' filter pair on the coax to prevent the picture
>> degradation due to different ground potential between the areas, (yes-the
>> house was originally wired in the 1940s) that the Xantech system may not
>> work. Your thoughts?
>>

> The Xantech system requires a DC path between the signal inserter (at
> the remote TV) and the coupler (at the A/V equipment to be
> controlled), so it may not work through the filter. Xantech has
> devices to maintain continuity around such places, but I have never
> used them.
>
> Are you sure you still need that filter?
>
> BTW, considering ground potential, I have disconnected my cable in
> certain places, and found a difference in ground potential of over
> 30V.
I've never measured the voltage but I have observed a definite spark when
attaching the coax before the filters were used. I'll take a look at
Xantech's website.

Regarding the saga of the three hour high quality Replay program:

I varied slightly from John's methods and used Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 2.0
to convert Womble's MPEG-VCR mpg commercial-free file to the VIDEO.TS file
format needed for the DVD production. However, I transferred the VIDEO_TS
and AUDIO_TS folders to my Macintosh.

This is where I remembered the DVD2One program that Margaret mentioned. It
had been residing sleepily there for a year or so. I fed it the VIDEO_TS
folder and almost an hour later , it produced a modified VIDEO_TS file that
my burning program, Roxio Toast could fit on one disc.

Here is where the problem occurred. Upon completion of the disc burn, it
automatically verifies it's work. An error popped up saying that a certain
sector could not be found. Playing the disc exhibited freezes and stuttering
about a third of the way into the movie.

When I went back to the enclosing folder of the DVD MovieFactory file, I
noticed that in addition to the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders, there was a
file that was titled something like "missingfilebits", or something like
that, embedded in it's title.

So, as many here pointed out, I am assuming that high quality recordings
have so much info and high data rate, that it chokes whatever program tries
to make it DVD burning friendly, but can still be played on the Replay.

Now, I am downloading the movie from Poopli in the medium quality format.
When finished, I will try in every way to duplicate my steps above with the
high quality file above and see what results. A lot of work for a friend.
;-)

July 11, 2005 6:30:34 PM

Glad DVD2One worked for you George, but I'm sorry you've experienced trouble
with high quality recordings. I found the same, so I now record in medium
format. This way, no re-encoding is necessary when making an authored DVD.
It saves *a lot* of time. Besides, if you record in high and then have to
re-encode, you're losing video quality anyway. Might as well go with medium
to start with.

BTW, the latest version of DVD2One is 1.5.2. It adds a number of features,
so check to make sure you've got the latest. :-)

> [...]
> stuttering
> about a third of the way into the movie.
>
> When I went back to the enclosing folder of the DVD MovieFactory file, I
> noticed that in addition to the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders, there was a
> file that was titled something like "missingfilebits", or something like
> that, embedded in it's title.
>
> So, as many here pointed out, I am assuming that high quality recordings
> have so much info and high data rate, that it chokes whatever program
> tries
> to make it DVD burning friendly, but can still be played on the Replay.
>
> Now, I am downloading the movie from Poopli in the medium quality format.
> When finished, I will try in every way to duplicate my steps above with
> the
> high quality file above and see what results. A lot of work for a friend.

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:34:25 PM

Thanks John. I will be trying that in the future, maybe. But, as I described
in my most recent post, I will try a modification of your use of Roxio's
Toast. BTW: It's up to Version 6.1.1 if you didn't know already. Lots of
stuff ro do with dual layer burning and other thing that most of us (at
present) have no use.

On 7/11/05 7:56 AM, in article P%tAe.142$xY.94@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com,
"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Some burner programs (IE: NERO) will re-compress to fit I do not know
> how they do it so I don't know the quality of the job but to my eyes it
> looks good.
>
> DVD Shrink can also shrink files to fint... I've used it as well though
> I normally use it to copy DVD's I wish to copy... Even if I don't need
> to shrink them since it does such a good job
>
> George Kerby wrote:
>> I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>>
>> I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>>
>> Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>> a standard DVD.
>>
>> There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>> to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>> fit on a single disc
>>
>> Anyone? TIA!

>> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
>> <><><><><><><><>

July 11, 2005 8:48:43 PM

On 7/11/05 9:53 AM, in article dau11t022vp@news3.newsguy.com, "Margaret
Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

> Glad DVD2One worked for you George, but I'm sorry you've experienced trouble
> with high quality recordings. I found the same, so I now record in medium
> format. This way, no re-encoding is necessary when making an authored DVD.
> It saves *a lot* of time. Besides, if you record in high and then have to
> re-encode, you're losing video quality anyway. Might as well go with medium
> to start with.
>
> BTW, the latest version of DVD2One is 1.5.2. It adds a number of features,
> so check to make sure you've got the latest. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

Just checked. On my MAC version, it's 1.3.0. Copyright 2003.
:-(
Looks like I need to get with it. Thanks!

July 12, 2005 1:29:52 AM

I don't use Roxio, I use Nero, however for all purposes and intents the
programs are equivlent, what one does the odds are the other does, That
is if it works at all (in a very few cases only one of the programs will
work with a given hardware set) Roxio is the windows XP default cd/dvd
burner, (Well a stripped down version) Nero is the recommended for the
CD burner I have, "Speedy CD" and "MY DVD" (which I understand are
based on Roxio) was included with my DVD burner. I prefer NERO for the
very simple reason that I used it first and got used to it. No other reason

George Kerby wrote:
> Thanks John. I will be trying that in the future, maybe. But, as I described
> in my most recent post, I will try a modification of your use of Roxio's
> Toast. BTW: It's up to Version 6.1.1 if you didn't know already. Lots of
> stuff ro do with dual layer burning and other thing that most of us (at
> present) have no use.
>

> On 7/11/05 7:56 AM, in article P%tAe.142$xY.94@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com,
> "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Some burner programs (IE: NERO) will re-compress to fit I do not know
>>how they do it so I don't know the quality of the job but to my eyes it
>>looks good.
>>
>>DVD Shrink can also shrink files to fint... I've used it as well though
>>I normally use it to copy DVD's I wish to copy... Even if I don't need
>>to shrink them since it does such a good job
>>
>>George Kerby wrote:
>>
>>>I recorded a three hour television movie in high quality the other day.
>>>
>>>I decided later to put it on a DVD to take it to a friend.
>>>
>>>Even after removing the commercials it was around 5.5GB and would not fit on
>>>a standard DVD.
>>>
>>>There has to be some freeware/shareware program out there that will allow me
>>>to change the size of an MPEG that I created in DVArchive so that it would
>>>fit on a single disc
>>>
>>>Anyone? TIA!

>>> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
>>><><><><><><><><>

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:29:53 AM

I prefer Nero too, John. :-)