My computer won't boot when my graphics card is plugged in

John Smith-00

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
The parts for my computer was a gift. As this was the first time building a computer I took extra precaution and care to prevent anything from happening to it during the building process. I've also read the various forums on this site and others to try and find a thread similar to mine, but have had no luck.

This is my system build before my question:

Motherbaord: AsRock 970 Extreme3
Cpu: Fx-8350
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7770
PSU: Topower TOP-800WS
Ram: G.Skill Value 8GB x 2
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Lite-On DVD Burner

I've gone through ( as in actually physically doing it) the to do POST ( I belive) thread on this site and foudn that the problem persist.

My question is, is it my GPU's fault, is my PSU not good for it, or is it that my motherboard can not handle it properly and it's that fault?

Thank you very much in advance for any answer.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
will it power without the card in? It will make beeps...as it should with no card in.
If that works can you take that card in to the store you got it from and have them test it...ask to see it running...
Let us know how that went..JQ

John Smith-00

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Yes, it does power on without the card in. I forgot to mention before that the card gets power directly from the PSU. When plugged to the PSU, nothing happens. My CPU and case fans jerk a little but nothing starts. When unplugged from PSU but still connected to mobo, everything starts ( same for unconnected from mobo). Unfortunately, my mobo doesn't have anywhere where I can plug in a monitor to see a BIOS ( I believe) screen. I can only plug a monitor through my GPU.

Also, no, I do not hear any beeps when i push the power button. I got them from Newegg.