Sign in with
Your question

Resolution issues on new TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2013 4:58:19 PM

Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster:

I recently purchased a 40" TV, it was very cheap and a brand I'd never heard of, so it wasn't so surprising when I unpacked it to find the stand was damaged (scratches) and there was a small cluster of dead pixels in the lower right corner of the screen.

So that's being picked up soon, and I've since ordered another cheap-o tv, the brand is Finlux, it's a 37" screen which claims to be full 1080p

If I run a movie through the USB interface (on a flash drive) it displays in 1080p, if I run my PC through it on HDMI, it's again 1080p, but the image quality is very poor through this method.

I want to run my pc through it via VGA with separate outputs from the pc for the audio, but for some strange reason, the maximum resolution I can achieve on this TV via VGA is 1360x768

I'm sure this has nothing to do with my graphics card, as I was able to get full 1080 on the 40" tv via VGA, so I'm totally baffled as to why this TV has issues with the same output.

System info:

CPU: intel i5 2500k clocked @ 4.9
Asus P8P67 Deluxe 1155 motherboard
Nvidia GTS 450 (outputs = 2x DVI + 1x mini hdmi)
Windows 8 Pro

I have an adapter from MSI which converts the VGA to DVI, which came with the MSI GTS 450.

This adapter is the only thing I can think is causing a problem, but considering it worked fine on the 40" TV I'm returning, I'm not so sure.

Any help much appreciated!

Edit: Forgot to add model details.

Finlux 37" Full HD TV - 37F501 - http://www.finluxdirect.com/all-tvs/37-inch-lcd-tv-full...

More about : resolution issues

a b x TV
February 10, 2013 5:45:08 PM

Try hdmi again, but make sure that all over-/underscanning in nvidia options is switched off / set to zero. 1360x768 is a typical limit for the vga port of TVs.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 10, 2013 5:50:01 PM

it depends what resolution ur videocard supports.

m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
February 10, 2013 6:13:18 PM

i would download the avs709 disc/usb and calibrate the tv and make sure it isn't overscanning itself as well

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4...

scroll down to the mp4 part and download the mp4(.7z), extract the mp4 and burn it to a dvd. most newer bluray players, ps3/360 will play the file.

if your bluray player doesn't support mp4, then i dont know what to say.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 10, 2013 8:17:13 PM

interesting.

m
l
!