GTX 650 Ti lags help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
ASUS Gtx 650 ti stutters like hell what could be the problem ? I was playing DEAD space 3 and FPS drops from 80+to 30 and freezes for 1or 2 sec and then again 80 FPS at very high settings ! & also same with other games ! :(
my system : core 2 duo e4300 @1-8 ghz
Psu cooler master extreme power plus 600 watt
mobo : PCi e 1.0
Any help would be appreciated !

Solution

According to this site, you do not meet the "adjusted" requirements for this game, neither the recommended (they both recommend 3 or 4 GB of RAM with more powerful CPUs than what you have):

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3497&game=Dead%20space%203

That CPU is very old and very slow so don't be surprised if it bottlenecks almost every modern games. For instance your CPU is heavily bottlenecking your video card which is of new generation (650-Ti) so if you want to unleash the full power of your GPU you need to upgrade the rest of your system. 2 GB of RAM isn't a lot either. But you get to the point where you need to...
Check your temps. It could be thermal throttling.
Is your hard drive light solid during the pauses? If so, check for and eliminate uneeded background tasks.
Your PSU is not great, but you're probably pulling no more than 300W out of it, so it shouldn't be a part of this problem.
Edit: Your processor is slow, but the way I read this, you DO get 80FPS some of the time. How much RAM do you have? If you have 2GB or less, that could be part of the problem too. I hesitate to suggest buying more DDR2 any more, but that would certainly be cheaper than a CPU/Mobo/RAM replacement.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Right off the bat, I'm saying that your CPU is seriously bottlenecking your GPU. At 1.8GHz, it cannot handle the rapid post processing that it is required to do. Also, the PCIe 1.0 interface is a bottleneck for a PCIe 3.0 card (although that's not the primary reason).

But to answer your question, your problem is that your are running a GPU that is to fast for what your CPU can handle, therefore, pre-rendered scenes are fine, but other scenes are problematic, causing the FPS drop.

If you want to fix it, upgrade your CPU, or better yet, your entire system, since LGA775 processors are hard to find, and there is better value vs. performance CPUs available now.

Also, before you buy games, take a look at the system requirements, for example, Dead Space 3:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/Requirements/dead-space-3/11367

As you can see, the game requires at least 2.0GHz, like many modern games.

MC_K7

Distinguished

I think his old and slow CPU is the source of his problem. He didn't mention how much RAM he got, could be that too (or probably a combination of both).

But I agree with you his power supply isn't really great I wouldn't plug a high-end card into this I'd be afraid to damage it.

A slow CPU would cause significant FPS drops, but I would think not the 1-2 second pauses.
The PSU won't cause performance to drop like this. If it couldn't power your system, you'd be getting BSODs or other signs of instability. Check your CPU and GPU temperatures. Are all fans running, especially the CPU cooler?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

The RAM is used to store files (like the map) that need to be accessed quickly. When the amount of RAM is too low, the game resorts to the HDD, or SSD which is significantly slower than any form of RAM. This could be the cause of the 1-2 second pauses, you have run out of RAM at that resolution, so try lowering the resolution, as 2GB is what the developers recommend as a MINIMUM.

MC_K7

Distinguished

According to this site, you do not meet the "adjusted" requirements for this game, neither the recommended (they both recommend 3 or 4 GB of RAM with more powerful CPUs than what you have):

That CPU is very old and very slow so don't be surprised if it bottlenecks almost every modern games. For instance your CPU is heavily bottlenecking your video card which is of new generation (650-Ti) so if you want to unleash the full power of your GPU you need to upgrade the rest of your system. 2 GB of RAM isn't a lot either. But you get to the point where you need to upgrade everything, CPU, motherboard, RAM (because new generation of CPUs support DDR3), etc... I would also change that PSU if you can afford it. The only good news is that you'll be able to use your GPU in your new system.

Solution

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

my Gpu usage goes to 95 % and temp 45 highest while playing and cpu temp 73 on maximum load & I use normal cooling fans but it has some Dust !

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Can you read the GPU usage when it studders as well as the CPU usage, this is the best way to tell a bottleneck.

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I bought the PSU without checking reviews with gtx 650 ti :(

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

I believe that MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) can monitor your GPU usage, and use Windows Task Manager (assuming you are on Windows) under the performance tab so you can monitor all your cores. It will also graph your RAM usage, so you will be able to identify the bottleneck from there.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Buying a PSU with your eyes closed isn't a good idea. Stay away from Cooler Master for PSUs. They make other decent products, but their PSUs are just very bad, they're unstable and rarely deliver the power they advertised. For instance, in this review they recommend not pulling more than 450 Watt from it otherwise you could damage components:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9

Luckily for you, your 650-Ti doesn't draw that much power and your whole system should be below 450 Watt. But still if you ever invest in a new build I would recommend a new PSU as well if you can afford it.

But back on topic, for your lag in Dead Space 3 I'm pretty sure it's related to your slow CPU (only 1.8 Ghz) and your lack of RAM (only 2 GB). I don't think it has anything to do with your power supply right now even though it's a bad model.

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

what should I Do I dont want to waste money again like this :( . BTW do you think this PSu can work with i7 3770k

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I will try that :)

This, although I don't know that resolution makes much difference. If it were just a too-slow CPU, I would expect your FPS would always be low. Pauses seem more explainable by hitting some kind of limit.

73 is definitely a little warm. Since you say your fan has dust, clean it out. If you can bring that temp down even just a few degrees, you can see if it makes a difference.
95% GPU usage is also high. Temporarily turn off AA and see if that makes a difference. It will reduce memory requirements, and significantly lighten the load on your GPU. With only a 128bit memory buss, it does not handle lots of AA very well.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Do research and read reviews before buying components.

But just as a rule of thumb, avoid Cooler Master for PSUs (as I said they make other decent components, PSU is just not their forte).

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc.. all make really good PSUs.

This one is a good bang for the bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Currently has a 30$ rebate from Newegg + a 15% off promo code (direct saving) + a potential 20$ mail-in rebate. With all these rebates applied it could make the price drop to nearly 60$. Sweet deal for a very good PSU, regular price is above 100$ usually.

Incidentally, I would not use that PSU (the Coolermaster ) in a rig featuring an i7. As the review clearly showed, it is not stable under heavy load, and may damage attached components. You'd want something built by Seasonic (e.g. their own, XFX, some Corsair, some Antec), Delta (some Antec), FSP (their own, some Antec), Enermax/LEPA (their own) or Superflower (new Rosewill, new Kingwin). With a GTX650Ti, 500W is easily enough.

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

can i do anything now to end this stutter thing ! It just drives me crazy . I had nvidia 7300gs earlier and destroyed it myself :D .I have always dreamed of playing games at good frames & still no luck :'(

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Hate to say it Sam, your PC is horribly out dated. You need to replace the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and most likely the HDD to even come close to matching the performance of your 650 ti.

I can't say mine is much better, but I have my E8400 OC'd to 3.4 GHz and it runs beautifully for being 5 years out of date. Unfortunately you're limited by more than a slow processor.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Building a gaming PC is all about balance. Pretty much the same thing as a performance car if you allow the comparison. What's the point of having a super powerful car, if the braking and handling doesn't match up? Or what if a powerful 600hp engine is matched with a poor 4-speed automatic Hyundai Accent transmission? It would seriously hold back the potential performance.

Same thing applies to a gaming computer. There's no point in getting a super powerful video card if you match it with a very old CPU on a system that has not enough RAM. No point in overspending and overspec'ing either, it's about finding the right balance for you. By doing a lot of research and reading reviews, you can find the right components for you. It's also about your needs and what you want to do with the machine. For instance, if it's for gaming mostly, you need to know what games and what resolution you'll be using in order to spec the right components for you. This way you'll know you'll get the right bang for your bucks.

If you need help building a new PC, just give us your total budget and we can help you choosing the best parts for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.