Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 650 Ti lags help !!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 10, 2013 6:46:34 PM

ASUS Gtx 650 ti stutters like hell what could be the problem ? I was playing DEAD space 3 and FPS drops from 80+to 30 and freezes for 1or 2 sec and then again 80 FPS at very high settings ! & also same with other games ! :( 
my system : core 2 duo e4300 @1-8 ghz
Psu cooler master extreme power plus 600 watt
mobo : PCi e 1.0
Any help would be appreciated !

More about : gtx 650 lags

a c 107 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:51:24 PM

slow dual core processor/not enough ram/not enough vram/too high a resolution/demanding settings?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:52:09 PM

e4300?
That is an old processor...and probably the root of your stutter problem...
I would seriously look at a new processor, mobo and ram withat card...
Score
0
Related resources
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:53:11 PM

Check your temps. It could be thermal throttling.
Is your hard drive light solid during the pauses? If so, check for and eliminate uneeded background tasks.
Your PSU is not great, but you're probably pulling no more than 300W out of it, so it shouldn't be a part of this problem.
Edit: Your processor is slow, but the way I read this, you DO get 80FPS some of the time. How much RAM do you have? If you have 2GB or less, that could be part of the problem too. I hesitate to suggest buying more DDR2 any more, but that would certainly be cheaper than a CPU/Mobo/RAM replacement.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:55:11 PM

Right off the bat, I'm saying that your CPU is seriously bottlenecking your GPU. At 1.8GHz, it cannot handle the rapid post processing that it is required to do. Also, the PCIe 1.0 interface is a bottleneck for a PCIe 3.0 card (although that's not the primary reason).

But to answer your question, your problem is that your are running a GPU that is to fast for what your CPU can handle, therefore, pre-rendered scenes are fine, but other scenes are problematic, causing the FPS drop.

If you want to fix it, upgrade your CPU, or better yet, your entire system, since LGA775 processors are hard to find, and there is better value vs. performance CPUs available now.

Also, before you buy games, take a look at the system requirements, for example, Dead Space 3:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3497&ga...

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/Requirements/...

As you can see, the game requires at least 2.0GHz, like many modern games.
Score
0
February 10, 2013 6:55:22 PM

I use 2 GB ddr 2 ram & you sure thats a processor problem? and not the PSU or other things ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:58:22 PM

Onus said:
Check your temps. It could be thermal throttling.
Is your hard drive light solid during the pauses? If so, check for and eliminate uneeded background tasks.
Your PSU is not great, but you're probably pulling no more than 300W out of it, so it shouldn't be a part of this problem.


I think his old and slow CPU is the source of his problem. He didn't mention how much RAM he got, could be that too (or probably a combination of both).

But I agree with you his power supply isn't really great I wouldn't plug a high-end card into this I'd be afraid to damage it.
Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 6:59:56 PM

A slow CPU would cause significant FPS drops, but I would think not the 1-2 second pauses.
The PSU won't cause performance to drop like this. If it couldn't power your system, you'd be getting BSODs or other signs of instability. Check your CPU and GPU temperatures. Are all fans running, especially the CPU cooler?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:05:23 PM

sam1911 said:
I use 2 GB ddr 2 ram & you sure thats a processor problem? and not the PSU or other things ?

The RAM is used to store files (like the map) that need to be accessed quickly. When the amount of RAM is too low, the game resorts to the HDD, or SSD which is significantly slower than any form of RAM. This could be the cause of the 1-2 second pauses, you have run out of RAM at that resolution, so try lowering the resolution, as 2GB is what the developers recommend as a MINIMUM.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:06:34 PM

sam1911 said:
I use 2 GB ddr 2 ram & you sure thats a processor problem? and not the PSU or other things ?


According to this site, you do not meet the "adjusted" requirements for this game, neither the recommended (they both recommend 3 or 4 GB of RAM with more powerful CPUs than what you have):

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3497&ga...

That CPU is very old and very slow so don't be surprised if it bottlenecks almost every modern games. For instance your CPU is heavily bottlenecking your video card which is of new generation (650-Ti) so if you want to unleash the full power of your GPU you need to upgrade the rest of your system. 2 GB of RAM isn't a lot either. But you get to the point where you need to upgrade everything, CPU, motherboard, RAM (because new generation of CPUs support DDR3), etc... I would also change that PSU if you can afford it. The only good news is that you'll be able to use your GPU in your new system.
Share
February 10, 2013 7:11:13 PM

Onus said:
A slow CPU would cause significant FPS drops, but I would think not the 1-2 second pauses.
The PSU won't cause performance to drop like this. If it couldn't power your system, you'd be getting BSODs or other signs of instability. Check your CPU and GPU temperatures. Are all fans running, especially the CPU cooler?

my Gpu usage goes to 95 % and temp 45 highest while playing and cpu temp 73 on maximum load & I use normal cooling fans but it has some Dust !
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:12:59 PM

sam1911 said:
my Gpu usage goes to 95 % and temp 45 highest while playing and cpu temp 73 on maximum load & I use normal cooling fans but it has some Dust !

Can you read the GPU usage when it studders as well as the CPU usage, this is the best way to tell a bottleneck.
Score
0
February 10, 2013 7:14:20 PM

MC_K7 said:
According to this site, you do not meet the "adjusted" requirements for this game, neither the recommended (they both recommend 3 or 4 GB of RAM with more powerful CPUs than what you have):

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3497&ga...

That CPU is very old and very slow so don't be surprised if it bottlenecks almost every modern games. For instance your CPU is heavily bottlenecking your video card which is of new generation (650-Ti) so if you want to unleash the full power of your GPU you need to upgrade the rest of your system. 2 GB of RAM isn't a lot either. But you get to the point where you need to upgrade everything, CPU, motherboard, RAM (because new generation of CPUs support DDR3), etc... I would also change that PSU if you can afford it.

I bought the PSU without checking reviews with gtx 650 ti :( 
Score
0
February 10, 2013 7:16:07 PM

locomoco321 said:
Can you read the GPU usage when it studders as well as the CPU usage, this is the best way to tell a bottleneck.

how do I do that ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:23:54 PM

sam1911 said:
how do I do that ?

I believe that MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) can monitor your GPU usage, and use Windows Task Manager (assuming you are on Windows) under the performance tab so you can monitor all your cores. It will also graph your RAM usage, so you will be able to identify the bottleneck from there.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:27:15 PM

sam1911 said:
I bought the PSU without checking reviews with gtx 650 ti :( 


Buying a PSU with your eyes closed isn't a good idea. Stay away from Cooler Master for PSUs. They make other decent products, but their PSUs are just very bad, they're unstable and rarely deliver the power they advertised. For instance, in this review they recommend not pulling more than 450 Watt from it otherwise you could damage components:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Luckily for you, your 650-Ti doesn't draw that much power and your whole system should be below 450 Watt. But still if you ever invest in a new build I would recommend a new PSU as well if you can afford it.

But back on topic, for your lag in Dead Space 3 I'm pretty sure it's related to your slow CPU (only 1.8 Ghz) and your lack of RAM (only 2 GB). I don't think it has anything to do with your power supply right now even though it's a bad model.
Score
0
February 10, 2013 7:38:38 PM

MC_K7 said:
Buying a PSU with your eyes closed isn't a good idea. Stay away from Cooler Master for PSUs. They make other decent products, but their PSUs are just very bad, they're unstable and rarely deliver the power they advertised. For instance, in this review they recommend not pulling more than 450 Watt from it otherwise you could damage components:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Luckily for you, your 650-Ti doesn't draw that much power and your whole system should be below 450 Watt. But still if you ever invest in a new build I would recommend a new PSU as well if you can afford it.

But back on topic, for your lag in Dead Space 3 I'm pretty sure it's related to your slow CPU (only 1.8 Ghz) and your lack of RAM (only 2 GB). I don't think it has anything to do with your power supply right now even though it's a bad model.

what should I Do I dont want to waste money again like this :(  . BTW do you think this PSu can work with i7 3770k
Score
0
February 10, 2013 7:41:03 PM

locomoco321 said:
I believe that MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) can monitor your GPU usage, and use Windows Task Manager (assuming you are on Windows) under the performance tab so you can monitor all your cores. It will also graph your RAM usage, so you will be able to identify the bottleneck from there.

I will try that :) 
Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:46:33 PM

locomoco321 said:
The RAM is used to store files (like the map) that need to be accessed quickly. When the amount of RAM is too low, the game resorts to the HDD, or SSD which is significantly slower than any form of RAM. This could be the cause of the 1-2 second pauses, you have run out of RAM at that resolution, so try lowering the resolution, as 2GB is what the developers recommend as a MINIMUM.

This, although I don't know that resolution makes much difference. If it were just a too-slow CPU, I would expect your FPS would always be low. Pauses seem more explainable by hitting some kind of limit.

sam1911 said:
my Gpu usage goes to 95 % and temp 45 highest while playing and cpu temp 73 on maximum load & I use normal cooling fans but it has some Dust !

73 is definitely a little warm. Since you say your fan has dust, clean it out. If you can bring that temp down even just a few degrees, you can see if it makes a difference.
95% GPU usage is also high. Temporarily turn off AA and see if that makes a difference. It will reduce memory requirements, and significantly lighten the load on your GPU. With only a 128bit memory buss, it does not handle lots of AA very well.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:50:32 PM

sam1911 said:
what should I Do I dont want to waste money again like this :(  . BTW do you think this PSu can work with i7 3770k


Do research and read reviews before buying components.

But just as a rule of thumb, avoid Cooler Master for PSUs (as I said they make other decent components, PSU is just not their forte).

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc.. all make really good PSUs.

This one is a good bang for the bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Currently has a 30$ rebate from Newegg + a 15% off promo code (direct saving) + a potential 20$ mail-in rebate. With all these rebates applied it could make the price drop to nearly 60$. Sweet deal for a very good PSU, regular price is above 100$ usually.
Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 7:52:18 PM

Incidentally, I would not use that PSU (the Coolermaster ) in a rig featuring an i7. As the review clearly showed, it is not stable under heavy load, and may damage attached components. You'd want something built by Seasonic (e.g. their own, XFX, some Corsair, some Antec), Delta (some Antec), FSP (their own, some Antec), Enermax/LEPA (their own) or Superflower (new Rosewill, new Kingwin). With a GTX650Ti, 500W is easily enough.
Score
0
February 10, 2013 7:57:54 PM

MC_K7 said:
Do research and read reviews before buying components.

But just as a rule of thumb, avoid Cooler Master for PSUs (as I said they make other decent components, PSU is just not their forte).

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc.. all make really good PSUs.

This one is a good bang for the bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

can i do anything now to end this stutter thing ! It just drives me crazy . I had nvidia 7300gs earlier and destroyed it myself :D  .I have always dreamed of playing games at good frames & still no luck :'( 
Score
0
February 10, 2013 8:08:05 PM

sam1911 said:
ASUS Gtx 650 ti stutters like hell what could be the problem ? I was playing DEAD space 3 and FPS drops from 80+to 30 and freezes for 1or 2 sec and then again 80 FPS at very high settings ! & also same with other games ! :( 
my system : core 2 duo e4300 @1-8 ghz
Psu cooler master extreme power plus 600 watt
mobo : PCi e 1.0
Any help would be appreciated !


Hate to say it Sam, your PC is horribly out dated. You need to replace the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and most likely the HDD to even come close to matching the performance of your 650 ti.

I can't say mine is much better, but I have my E8400 OC'd to 3.4 GHz and it runs beautifully for being 5 years out of date. Unfortunately you're limited by more than a slow processor.
Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:09:55 PM

If you turn off AA, is there any change?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:13:02 PM

sam1911 said:
I have always dreamed of playing games at good frames & still no luck :'( 


Building a gaming PC is all about balance. Pretty much the same thing as a performance car if you allow the comparison. What's the point of having a super powerful car, if the braking and handling doesn't match up? Or what if a powerful 600hp engine is matched with a poor 4-speed automatic Hyundai Accent transmission? It would seriously hold back the potential performance.

Same thing applies to a gaming computer. There's no point in getting a super powerful video card if you match it with a very old CPU on a system that has not enough RAM. No point in overspending and overspec'ing either, it's about finding the right balance for you. By doing a lot of research and reading reviews, you can find the right components for you. It's also about your needs and what you want to do with the machine. For instance, if it's for gaming mostly, you need to know what games and what resolution you'll be using in order to spec the right components for you. This way you'll know you'll get the right bang for your bucks.

If you need help building a new PC, just give us your total budget and we can help you choosing the best parts for your money.
Score
0
February 11, 2013 4:36:00 AM

Onus said:
If you turn off AA, is there any change?

no change after turning off the AA .Btw how do i make msi after burner show CPU temp on OSD ?
it shows something like this
GPU:56 degree C ,usage 56% ,fan speed 1530 RPM
928MHZ
MEM 2700 mhz
FPS 60 on AVG - very high settings
btw my OS : windows 8 PRO 64 bit
Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 12:09:35 PM

Those numbers look decent. What does it say during the pauses?
Score
0
February 11, 2013 2:45:51 PM

Onus said:
Those numbers look decent. What does it say during the pauses?

these numbers also pauses & drops the FPS to 30 and again 60 :(  . Also when playing NFs mostwanted I get good FPS on highways but not in the cities :( 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 4:15:54 PM

Your GPU is clearly being bottlenecked by your CPU.Upgrade to newer processor may be an i3 or even a pentium G630 would be enough to pair with that 650 ti.
Score
0
February 12, 2013 3:05:39 AM

I know a guy using GTX 660 Ti with E4300 and getting no stuttering or lags :( 
Score
0
February 12, 2013 4:39:59 AM

MC_K7 said:
Building a gaming PC is all about balance. Pretty much the same thing as a performance car if you allow the comparison. What's the point of having a super powerful car, if the braking and handling doesn't match up? Or what if a powerful 600hp engine is matched with a poor 4-speed automatic Hyundai Accent transmission? It would seriously hold back the potential performance.

Same thing applies to a gaming computer. There's no point in getting a super powerful video card if you match it with a very old CPU on a system that has not enough RAM. No point in overspending and overspec'ing either, it's about finding the right balance for you. By doing a lot of research and reading reviews, you can find the right components for you. It's also about your needs and what you want to do with the machine. For instance, if it's for gaming mostly, you need to know what games and what resolution you'll be using in order to spec the right components for you. This way you'll know you'll get the right bang for your bucks.

If you need help building a new PC, just give us your total budget and we can help you choosing the best parts for your money.
what do you think about this system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaDhKdO40w having same PSU like mine but running core i7 .Do I still need to upgrade it ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 4:40:47 AM

That is his perception and may be it really isn't stuttering bcoz he might be playing such games that doesn't even require a powerful card like the 660 ti.Don't get me wrong but what me and the others are trying to tell you has been proven by multiple reviews and benchmarks.If you can't afford to buy a very powerful CPU,it doesn't matter,you can spend much less and get a pentium g630 with a entry level mobo which may only cost $150 or a little more.
Score
0
February 12, 2013 4:52:46 AM

Anik8 said:
That is his perception and may be it really isn't stuttering bcoz he might be playing such games that doesn't even require a powerful card like the 660 ti.Don't get me wrong but what me and the others are trying to tell you has been proven by multiple reviews and benchmarks.If you can't afford to buy a very powerful CPU,it doesn't matter,you can spend much less and get a pentium g630 with a entry level mobo which may only cost $150 or a little more.

my budget can be 400$ but I want a core i7 without changing my current PSU :)  but here i am just looking for solution to get rid of this stutter issue somehow . thanks all :) 
Score
0
March 16, 2014 9:22:02 AM

I too have the same problem, many lags and many freezes, but I have 8gb ram although i use 32bit windows 8.1. my processor is phenom ii x6, when i uninstalled the new driver and installed the older drivers. now its ok.
But that is only a temporary fix. I dunno what the real problem is.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2014 9:50:54 AM

sam1911 said:
Anik8 said:
That is his perception and may be it really isn't stuttering bcoz he might be playing such games that doesn't even require a powerful card like the 660 ti.Don't get me wrong but what me and the others are trying to tell you has been proven by multiple reviews and benchmarks.If you can't afford to buy a very powerful CPU,it doesn't matter,you can spend much less and get a pentium g630 with a entry level mobo which may only cost $150 or a little more.

my budget can be 400$ but I want a core i7 without changing my current PSU :)  but here i am just looking for solution to get rid of this stutter issue somehow . thanks all :) 

Sorry for replying so late.
But there's two main issues you must fix in your system.
1. The outdated CPU
2. The pcie 1.0 mobo

If you buy an i7 platform,these issues will be fixed.Your GPU will be free from instruction and bandwidth related bottlenecks and probably the stuttering and freezing will go.

Score
0
a c 199 U Graphics card
March 16, 2014 10:03:45 AM

You do realize this thread was necrotic? If you are having similar issues, please begin a new thread. Thanks.
Score
0
!