Comcast HD DVR Questions.

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
July 9, 2005 7:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I am new to DVRs. I have the latest Comcast HD DVR. I believe it to be
the latest Motorola model. The DVR has an 80 gig hard drive. This gives
me about 8 2 hour HD programs to record. I want to take the programs off
the DVR and transfer them to a computer hard drive. How do I go about
this? Also, would it be hard to change out the hard drive in the Comcast
DVR with a larger hard drive? Do I just pop in a new hard drive and it
will automatically format? What size hard drive is used in these units,
2 1/2 or 3 1/2? Please do not tell me Comcast will not allow you to do this.

More about : comcast dvr questions

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:31:45 AM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:31:44 +0000, Robert D. Courtland wrote:

> I am new to DVRs. I have the latest Comcast HD DVR. I believe it to be
> the latest Motorola model. The DVR has an 80 gig hard drive. This gives
> me about 8 2 hour HD programs to record. I want to take the programs off
> the DVR and transfer them to a computer hard drive. How do I go about
> this? Also, would it be hard to change out the hard drive in the Comcast
> DVR with a larger hard drive? Do I just pop in a new hard drive and it
> will automatically format? What size hard drive is used in these units,
> 2 1/2 or 3 1/2? Please do not tell me Comcast will not allow you to do this.

The ComCast HD DVR is a closed box. Unlike the ReplayTV, you can't
network it and thus copy programs from it to your computer. Also, you
don't own the box. You can't open it and change out the hard drive. We
RTVers give up HD recording in order to get the features you want.

Sorry for the bad news,

Margaret
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:31:45 AM

Robert D. Courtland wrote:
> I am new to DVRs. I have the latest Comcast HD DVR. I believe it to be
> the latest Motorola model. The DVR has an 80 gig hard drive. This gives
> me about 8 2 hour HD programs to record. I want to take the programs off
> the DVR and transfer them to a computer hard drive. How do I go about
> this? Also, would it be hard to change out the hard drive in the Comcast
> DVR with a larger hard drive? Do I just pop in a new hard drive and it
> will automatically format? What size hard drive is used in these units,
> 2 1/2 or 3 1/2? Please do not tell me Comcast will not allow you to do
> this.

Ok, I won't tell you that Comcast won't let you do this, if you insist.
You'll have to figure it out yourself then.

But I will tell you this, Comcast does not have the tolerence for
end-user hacking that Tivo does. If you want to hack on your DVR,
you'll be much better off with a Tivo DVR. But even with a Tivo you
can't just drop in a bigger hard drive, you'd need to hack it first.

Besides, don't you think the Tivo and replay TV forums are poor places
to be discussing a DVR that is neither a Tivo nor a Replay device?

Randy S.
July 9, 2005 11:20:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <AyHze.1185$ZN6.183@trnddc02>,
"Robert D. Courtland" <courtlnd@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> I am new to DVRs. I have the latest Comcast HD DVR. I believe it to be
> the latest Motorola model. The DVR has an 80 gig hard drive. This gives
> me about 8 2 hour HD programs to record. I want to take the programs off
> the DVR and transfer them to a computer hard drive. How do I go about
> this? Also, would it be hard to change out the hard drive in the Comcast
> DVR with a larger hard drive? Do I just pop in a new hard drive and it
> will automatically format? What size hard drive is used in these units,
> 2 1/2 or 3 1/2? Please do not tell me Comcast will not allow you to do this.

I will not tell you what you asked not to hear, but that is the case.

This is a TiVo group, Troll.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

No it's not. It's a ReplayTV group. (Again proving Jack doesn't know Zhit.)

On 7/9/05 2:20 AM, in article
jackzwick-EE7EB8.02205709072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com, "Jack Zwick"
<jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <AyHze.1185$ZN6.183@trnddc02>,
> "Robert D. Courtland" <courtlnd@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>> I am new to DVRs. I have the latest Comcast HD DVR. I believe it to be
>> the latest Motorola model. The DVR has an 80 gig hard drive. This gives
>> me about 8 2 hour HD programs to record. I want to take the programs off
>> the DVR and transfer them to a computer hard drive. How do I go about
>> this? Also, would it be hard to change out the hard drive in the Comcast
>> DVR with a larger hard drive? Do I just pop in a new hard drive and it
>> will automatically format? What size hard drive is used in these units,
>> 2 1/2 or 3 1/2? Please do not tell me Comcast will not allow you to do this.
>
> I will not tell you what you asked not to hear, but that is the case.
>
> This is a TiVo group, Troll.

July 9, 2005 6:33:00 PM

On 9 Jul 2005 14:32:59 GMT, George Kerby wrote:

>No it's not. It's a ReplayTV group. (Again proving Jack doesn't know Zhit.)
>

>On 7/9/05 2:20 AM, in article
>jackzwick-EE7EB8.02205709072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com, "Jack Zwick"
>>
>> This is a TiVo group, Troll.

Hey George, the original post was sent out to both newsgroups,
just like your own. Both you and Jack should turn on the little
'warn when sending to multiple newsgroups' option, if your
newsreaders have it.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

You're both right! *cue cheesy infomercial music*

Ken

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No it's not. It's a ReplayTV group. (Again proving Jack doesn't know Zhit.)
>
> On 7/9/05 2:20 AM, in article
> jackzwick-EE7EB8.02205709072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com, "Jack Zwick"
> <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I will not tell you what you asked not to hear, but that is the case.
>>
>> This is a TiVo group, Troll.
July 9, 2005 6:33:01 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:13:50 -0400, Jason wrote:

>On 9 Jul 2005 14:32:59 GMT, George Kerby wrote:
>
>>No it's not. It's a ReplayTV group. (Again proving Jack doesn't know Zhit.)
>>

>>On 7/9/05 2:20 AM, in article
>>jackzwick-EE7EB8.02205709072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com, "Jack Zwick"
>>>
>>> This is a TiVo group, Troll.
>>

>Hey George, the original post was sent out to both newsgroups,
>just like your own. Both you and Jack should turn on the little
>'warn when sending to multiple newsgroups' option, if your
>newsreaders have it.

And YOU shouldn't be crossposting!!
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Well. let me explaing about DVR's.. There are basically 3 kinds of DVRs

1: Replay TV.... DVArchive is a free download or two (You need JRE too)
and it does exactly what you wish and much much more

2: TIVO: Recently added that feature, you BUY the software from
Microsoft however, no such thing as a free lunch

3; All the others... Do the lettes S.O.L. mean any anything "(Sorry out
[of] Luck) Sorry, no-can do at this time

Exception... Some of the cable DVR's have a built in DVD toaster and
will toast a DVD-RW... Note SOME

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Well. let me explaing about DVR's.. There are basically 3 kinds of DVRs
>
> 1: Replay TV.... DVArchive is a free download or two (You need JRE too) and
> it does exactly what you wish and much much more
>
> 2: TIVO: Recently added that feature, you BUY the software from Microsoft
> however, no such thing as a free lunch

The part of the software you need to buy to use TivoToGo is the MPEG2 codec,
and it doesn't come from Microsoft. There are many sources for MPEG2 codecs,
and if you have DVD playback on your computer, you probably already own one of
them and don't need to buy anything. The software to transfer shows on or off
of the Tivo is free.

You need an MPEG2 codec to play ReplayTV files, too.

Ken
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:43:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Since when (TiVo group?)

And we told him what he did not want to hear

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:45:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Pot----Kettle----Black
"Jin" <jim@notemail.id> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:13:50 -0400, Jason wrote:
>
>>On 9 Jul 2005 14:32:59 GMT, George Kerby wrote:
>>
>>>No it's not. It's a ReplayTV group. (Again proving Jack doesn't know
>>>Zhit.)
>>>

>>>On 7/9/05 2:20 AM, in article
>>>jackzwick-EE7EB8.02205709072005@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com, "Jack
>>>Zwick"

>>Hey George, the original post was sent out to both newsgroups,
>>just like your own. Both you and Jack should turn on the little
>>'warn when sending to multiple newsgroups' option, if your
>>newsreaders have it.
>
> And YOU shouldn't be crossposting!!

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able
to save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was
able to play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.

Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source
for the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed
up by Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:37:58 PM

John in Detroit wrote:
> One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able
> to save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was
> able to play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.
>
> Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source
> for the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed
> up by Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know

It was not necessary for me to purchase any codec to view my Tivo2go
video files, I believe it was included in the free Tivo desktop download.

However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required
to buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that
though.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:55:13 AM

> One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able to
> save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was able to
> play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.
>
> Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source for
> the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed up by
> Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know

SNIP

Yes both he and the magazine have it wrong. You do not have to buy Tivo2Go
you can download it right off the Tivo site. You MAY need to purchase Sonic
MyDVD if you want to burn DVD copies of the programming you've transfered to
your PC.

TC
July 13, 2005 9:08:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:27:24 -0400, "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>John in Detroit wrote:
>> One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able
>> to save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was
>> able to play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.
>>
>> Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source
>> for the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed
>> up by Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know
>
>It was not necessary for me to purchase any codec to view my Tivo2go
>video files, I believe it was included in the free Tivo desktop download.
>
>However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required
>to buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that
>though.

Are they really requiring you to buy a special spftware package, or is
that just what they're selling and you could use any DVD authoring
software?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:34:43 AM

"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D ar7ns$a6u$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> John in Detroit wrote:
>> One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able to
>> save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was able to
>> play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.
>>
>> Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source for
>> the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed up by
>> Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know
>
> It was not necessary for me to purchase any codec to view my Tivo2go video
> files, I believe it was included in the free Tivo desktop download.
>
> However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required to
> buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that though.

There are two issues here. To *play* TivoToGo files, you need to have an
MPEG2 decompressor (often called a codec, but that's not technically accurate,
since a CoDec is a Compressor/Decompressor, and most "MPEG2 codecs" are just
the decompression half). This is something that is not free, but you may
already have, because all DVD players need an MPEG2 decompressor, and many
people have DVD players on their computer.

To *burn* a TivoToGo file as a DVD, you need an MPEG2 decompressor *and* an
MPEG2 compressor (the Tivo video is stored in MPEG2, but it is not the right
resolution and format to be put directly on a DVD, so it must be decompressed,
processed, and recompressed). DVD authoring software includes an MPEG2
compressor. You do not need to buy the Tivo specific DVD authoring software,
but if you buy another one, you should check http://www.tivocommunity.com/
first to see if people have had good luck getting that software to take tivo
files as input.

Ken
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:34:45 AM

"Sam" <ssam@dont.spam> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:27:24 -0400, "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com>
> wrote:
>>John in Detroit wrote:
>>> One of my co-workers has a TIVO, he has the interface card and is able
>>> to save TIVO shows to his hard drive. He was imnpressed that I was
>>> able to play my REPLAY saved shows without buying additional software.
>>>
>>> Now, personally. I only know what I'm told about TIVO, and the source
>>> for the need to buy TiVo2Go was one of the computer magazines. Backed
>>> up by Eric (My Co-Worker) Perhaps he has it wrong, I don't know
>>
>>It was not necessary for me to purchase any codec to view my Tivo2go
>>video files, I believe it was included in the free Tivo desktop download.
>>
>>However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required
>>to buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that
>>though.
>>

> Are they really requiring you to buy a special spftware package, or is
> that just what they're selling and you could use any DVD authoring
> software?

Tivo isn't the one selling it, Sonic is. And while I've heard of success
using a number of different DVD authoring programs that aren't designed
specifically for Tivo, the Sonic product actually claims support, which means
if it doesn't work, you can complain and expect an answer. Other products
that use DirectShow based input (and don't mind that your file has a ".tivo"
extension) should just work, but if they don't, you may or may not get help
from them.

That said, my personal experience with Sonic MyDVD on Tivo files was that it
produced a rather poor looking DVD (it was very jaggy on my progressive scan
DVD player). I've heard of people having good results with Nero, but I
haven't tried it myself.

Ken
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:43:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required
>>to buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that
>>though.
>>

> Are they really requiring you to buy a special spftware package, or is
> that just what they're selling and you could use any DVD authoring
> software?

Well, it's not a complete sham, the program needs the ability to remove
the encryption of the .tivo file prior to burning it to DVD. But others
have pointed out that the capability isn't proprietary, I think the
application needs "Directshow" capability (somebody correct me, I don't
think I'm too far off), and there's at least one other program that can
do that. There is also a free workaround, it's been mentioned in this
newsgroup before, but I don't remember the site name right now.

--
Randy S.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> There are two issues here. To *play* TivoToGo files, you need to have an
> MPEG2 decompressor (often called a codec, but that's not technically accurate,
> since a CoDec is a Compressor/Decompressor, and most "MPEG2 codecs" are just
> the decompression half). This is something that is not free, but you may
> already have, because all DVD players need an MPEG2 decompressor, and many
> people have DVD players on their computer.
>
> To *burn* a TivoToGo file as a DVD, you need an MPEG2 decompressor *and* an
> MPEG2 compressor (the Tivo video is stored in MPEG2, but it is not the right
> resolution and format to be put directly on a DVD, so it must be decompressed,
> processed, and recompressed). DVD authoring software includes an MPEG2
> compressor. You do not need to buy the Tivo specific DVD authoring software,
> but if you buy another one, you should check http://www.tivocommunity.com/
> first to see if people have had good luck getting that software to take tivo
> files as input.

Good info Ken, but concerning playback, would just any mpeg2 codec allow
you to play TTG files? I thought there was something that came with the
Tivo desktop software that also enabled the whole password enabled
playback thing. Or is that prebuilt into the media player?

--
Randy S.
Anonymous

news:D b4cnq$o70$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...

>> There are two issues here. To *play* TivoToGo files, you need to have an
>> MPEG2 decompressor (often called a codec, but that's not technically
>> accurate, since a CoDec is a Compressor/Decompressor, and most "MPEG2
>> codecs" are just the decompression half). This is something that is not
>> free, but you may already have, because all DVD players need an MPEG2
>> decompressor, and many people have DVD players on their computer.
>>
>> To *burn* a TivoToGo file as a DVD, you need an MPEG2 decompressor *and* an
>> MPEG2 compressor (the Tivo video is stored in MPEG2, but it is not the
>> right resolution and format to be put directly on a DVD, so it must be
>> decompressed, processed, and recompressed). DVD authoring software
>> includes an MPEG2 compressor. You do not need to buy the Tivo specific DVD
>> authoring software, but if you buy another one, you should check
>> http://www.tivocommunity.com/ first to see if people have had good luck
>> getting that software to take tivo files as input.
>
> Good info Ken, but concerning playback, would just any mpeg2 codec allow you
> to play TTG files? I thought there was something that came with the Tivo
> desktop software that also enabled the whole password enabled playback
> thing. Or is that prebuilt into the media player?

There is a piece that Tivo provides that is a DirectShow filter taking a .tivo
file as input, stripping the encryption, and feeding the result into the mpeg2
codec that you must have installed. The DirectShow filter is installed with
TivoDesktop, which is freely downloadable on the Tivo website.

In theory any mpeg2 codec should be able to plug into the Tivo DirectShow
filter, but some have problems with the fact that Tivo uses non-square pixels
(my recordings at High quality are 480x480, which represents a 4:3 screen).
If the codec doesn't take well to non-square pixels, you will be left with a
smooshed picture.

Ken
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:48:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> There is a piece that Tivo provides that is a DirectShow filter taking a .tivo
> file as input, stripping the encryption, and feeding the result into the mpeg2
> codec that you must have installed. The DirectShow filter is installed with
> TivoDesktop, which is freely downloadable on the Tivo website.

Ahh, so it's the directshow filter that Tivo Desktop includes, that
makes sense.

> In theory any mpeg2 codec should be able to plug into the Tivo DirectShow
> filter, but some have problems with the fact that Tivo uses non-square pixels
> (my recordings at High quality are 480x480, which represents a 4:3 screen).
> If the codec doesn't take well to non-square pixels, you will be left with a
> smooshed picture.
>
> Ken

Yep, I've heard reference to that problem numerous times.

--
Randy S.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:34:45 -0400, "Ken Alverson"
<USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:

>"Sam" <ssam@dont.spam> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:27:24 -0400, "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com>
>> wrote:

>>>It was not necessary for me to purchase any codec to view my Tivo2go
>>>video files, I believe it was included in the free Tivo desktop download.
>>>
>>>However, in order to *burn* those files to DVD it is supposedly required
>>>to buy software for around $50. There are several workarounds for that
>>>though.
>>>

>> Are they really requiring you to buy a special spftware package, or is
>> that just what they're selling and you could use any DVD authoring
>> software?
>
>Tivo isn't the one selling it, Sonic is. And while I've heard of success
>using a number of different DVD authoring programs that aren't designed
>specifically for Tivo, the Sonic product actually claims support, which means
>if it doesn't work, you can complain and expect an answer. Other products
>that use DirectShow based input (and don't mind that your file has a ".tivo"
>extension) should just work, but if they don't, you may or may not get help
>from them.
>
>That said, my personal experience with Sonic MyDVD on Tivo files was that it
>produced a rather poor looking DVD (it was very jaggy on my progressive scan
>DVD player). I've heard of people having good results with Nero, but I
>haven't tried it myself.
>
>Ken

Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
..MPG.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:00:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
> .MPG.

Tivo files are mpeg2 as well, they just have encryption on them to
appease the MPAA and broadcast folks. One of the first steps in hacking
the Tivo's is to disable the encryption process.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:11:33 PM

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:34:45 -0400, "Ken Alverson"
> <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:
>

>>Tivo isn't the one selling it, Sonic is. And while I've heard of success
>>using a number of different DVD authoring programs that aren't designed
>>specifically for Tivo, the Sonic product actually claims support, which
>>means
>>if it doesn't work, you can complain and expect an answer. Other products
>>that use DirectShow based input (and don't mind that your file has a ".tivo"
>>extension) should just work, but if they don't, you may or may not get help
>>from them.
>>
>>That said, my personal experience with Sonic MyDVD on Tivo files was that it
>>produced a rather poor looking DVD (it was very jaggy on my progressive scan
>>DVD player). I've heard of people having good results with Nero, but I
>>haven't tried it myself.
>
> Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
> .MPG.

Playing the Replay files still requires an MPEG2 decoder, and burning them to
DVD requires DVD authoring software, same as with Tivo. The number of pieces
of software you have to purchase to make Replay files usable on the computer
is identical to the number of pieces you have to purchase to make Tivo files
usable.

You have a point if you are for some reason unable to use the free Tivo
DirectShow filter, for example if you are on a Mac. But on a Windows PC, the
functionality is roughly equivalent.

On the plus side for Tivo, transferring files off the Tivo and playing them on
the PC or burning them to DVD is actually a supported operation. To get the
files off a Replay, you have to use unsupported third party software. If
something goes wrong, you have to rely on community support. (Then again, the
community might be more helpful than official support)

Ken
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:03:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <tjvcd1prfj6bq1ob3d94ko6gr18hsn7n66@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
> .MPG.
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

As a replay owner, you're hardly an impartial judge.
July 14, 2005 8:03:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:03:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <tjvcd1prfj6bq1ob3d94ko6gr18hsn7n66@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
>> .MPG.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> has a Replay 5xxx
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
>As a replay owner, you're hardly an impartial judge.

That sort of nonsense is usually the speakers' attempt to cover up
personal inadequacies.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:30:51 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <tjvcd1prfj6bq1ob3d94ko6gr18hsn7n66@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>

>>Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
>>.MPG.
>>
>>--
>>Mark Lloyd
>>has a Replay 5xxx
>>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>

> As a replay owner, you're hardly an impartial judge.

Mark may not be, but a year ago I would have been (Being as I had not
yet purchased my 1st Replay)

I hit the nets, and the company sites, read the specifications, read
user reviews, read newsgroups and ... Well here I am
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:30 AM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> Playing the Replay files still requires an MPEG2 decoder, and burning them to
> DVD requires DVD authoring software, same as with Tivo. The number of pieces
> of software you have to purchase to make Replay files usable on the computer
> is identical to the number of pieces you have to purchase to make Tivo files
> usable.

Oh, I don't know... How much does the free VIDEO LAN program cost
anyway? That's the one I use to watch Replay files on my better
computers... On the lesser computer I use Core Media Player

Also the free version.

So, tell me again how many programs I have to BUY to do this

Oh yes, DV-Archive (Also free) does the file transfers

All I had to buy was a cat, well, Category 5 or better data cable
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:31 AM

> Ken Alverson wrote:
>> Playing the Replay files still requires an MPEG2 decoder, and burning them
>> to DVD requires DVD authoring software, same as with Tivo. The number of
>> pieces of software you have to purchase to make Replay files usable on the
>> computer is identical to the number of pieces you have to purchase to make
>> Tivo files usable.
>
> Oh, I don't know... How much does the free VIDEO LAN program cost anyway?
> That's the one I use to watch Replay files on my better computers... On the
> lesser computer I use Core Media Player
>
> Also the free version.

I've heard of people using VLCplayer to play their tivo files for free as
well. I don't know if/how well it works since I haven't tried it, but there
are free mpeg2 decompressors out there (dscaler has one, for example) that
people do use.

Again, the number of pieces of software you have to purchase is the same. If
you use a free MPEG2 decompressor, then you you don't have to buy anything to
play back video from either device. But if it doesn't work, you don't have a
technical support line to call, either.

> Oh yes, DV-Archive (Also free) does the file transfers

Yes, and TivoDesktop is free as well for doing file transfers. Or, if you
prefer, there are third party clients you can use for the transfers (you still
need the TivoDesktop package to get the DirectShow filter).

Ken
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>Oh yes, DV-Archive (Also free) does the file transfers
>

> Yes, and TivoDesktop is free as well for doing file transfers. Or, if you
> prefer, there are third party clients you can use for the transfers (you still
> need the TivoDesktop package to get the DirectShow filter).
>
> Ken

Yes, and just to reemphasize, the TivoDesktop package is *free*. Can we
quit this pissing contest now? The only additional requirement that Tivo
has is the Directshow requirement, otherwise they are identical. With
Tivo you can use either the Directshow-enabled package that they
recommend or another one if you so choose. And there are free methods
(not as elegant, though), as well.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:40:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I liked my Tivo Series-1, but they are screwing the pooch with series-2.. So
here I am as well....
If it were not for the hackers out there that gave us the utilities, then
Replay would not be as great as it is. I think most of the credit for Replay
being good goes to them.. As it did for the hackers of the series-1 Tivo's..

CW
> Jack Zwick wrote:
>> In article <tjvcd1prfj6bq1ob3d94ko6gr18hsn7n66@4ax.com>,
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>>

>>>Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
>>>.MPG.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mark Lloyd
>>>has a Replay 5xxx
>>>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>

>> As a replay owner, you're hardly an impartial judge.
>

> Mark may not be, but a year ago I would have been (Being as I had not yet
> purchased my 1st Replay)
>
> I hit the nets, and the company sites, read the specifications, read user
> reviews, read newsgroups and ... Well here I am
> --
> John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
> "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
> Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:40:52 AM

CheezWiz wrote:
> I liked my Tivo Series-1, but they are screwing the pooch with series-2.. So
> here I am as well....
> If it were not for the hackers out there that gave us the utilities, then
> Replay would not be as great as it is. I think most of the credit for Replay
> being good goes to them.. As it did for the hackers of the series-1 Tivo's..

What is it that bothers you about the Series 2? If anything the hacks
are easier and better on the S2 than the S1, I would think.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:42:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <eHBBe.1550$dX5.1185@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Ken Alverson wrote:
> > Playing the Replay files still requires an MPEG2 decoder, and burning them
> > DVD requires DVD authoring software, same as with Tivo. The number of
> > pieces
> > of software you have to purchase to make Replay files usable on the
> > computer
> > is identical to the number of pieces you have to purchase to make Tivo
> > files
> > usable.
>
> Oh, I don't know... How much does the free VIDEO LAN program cost
> anyway? That's the one I use to watch Replay files on my better
> computers... On the lesser computer I use Core Media Player
>
> Also the free version.

Tytools is free for TiVo

> So, tell me again how many programs I have to BUY to do this
>
> Oh yes, DV-Archive (Also free) does the file transfers
>
> All I had to buy was a cat, well, Category 5 or better data cable
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:46:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I think most people have problems with Tivo's willingness to jump in bed
with the other side of the digital rights folks. Seems like they are on the
opposite side of the fence from their customers. And adding advertising to
the menus was just plain cruddy! The ability to stream from one unit to the
other in real-time is the big advantage of Replay over Tivo in my opinion.
Unless they have changed the need to first download a show completely from
one unit to another to play it.

CW
"Ken Alverson" <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote in message
news:D b6d94$gco$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:34:45 -0400, "Ken Alverson"
>> <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Tivo isn't the one selling it, Sonic is. And while I've heard of success
>>>using a number of different DVD authoring programs that aren't designed
>>>specifically for Tivo, the Sonic product actually claims support, which
>>>means
>>>if it doesn't work, you can complain and expect an answer. Other
>>>products
>>>that use DirectShow based input (and don't mind that your file has a
>>>".tivo"
>>>extension) should just work, but if they don't, you may or may not get
>>>help
>>>from them.
>>>
>>>That said, my personal experience with Sonic MyDVD on Tivo files was that
>>>it
>>>produced a rather poor looking DVD (it was very jaggy on my progressive
>>>scan
>>>DVD player). I've heard of people having good results with Nero, but I
>>>haven't tried it myself.
>>
>> Another example of TiVo being inferior to Replay. The Replay files are
>> .MPG.
>
> Playing the Replay files still requires an MPEG2 decoder, and burning them
> to DVD requires DVD authoring software, same as with Tivo. The number of
> pieces of software you have to purchase to make Replay files usable on the
> computer is identical to the number of pieces you have to purchase to make
> Tivo files usable.
>
> You have a point if you are for some reason unable to use the free Tivo
> DirectShow filter, for example if you are on a Mac. But on a Windows PC,
> the functionality is roughly equivalent.
>
> On the plus side for Tivo, transferring files off the Tivo and playing
> them on the PC or burning them to DVD is actually a supported operation.
> To get the files off a Replay, you have to use unsupported third party
> software. If something goes wrong, you have to rely on community support.
> (Then again, the community might be more helpful than official support)
>
> Ken

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:46:19 AM

CheezWiz wrote:
> I think most people have problems with Tivo's willingness to jump in bed
> with the other side of the digital rights folks. Seems like they are on the
> opposite side of the fence from their customers. And adding advertising to
> the menus was just plain cruddy! The ability to stream from one unit to the
> other in real-time is the big advantage of Replay over Tivo in my opinion.
> Unless they have changed the need to first download a show completely from
> one unit to another to play it.

They do seem a bit more DRM tolerant then Replay, but most of that is
trying to expand into being able to *officially* support things like
Tivo-to-go. The reality of situation at this point is that the MPAA
folks and the like have paid enough high powered lawyers to fool enough
Judges to support them the majority of the time. Try to fight it, and
you get slammed like when Replay (was it Replay, or another DVR that has
since gone out of business?) enabled shows to be sent to other Replay
owners. Nice idea, scuttled by the lawyers. Tivo has appeased the big
boys just enough that they can get away with TTG officially.

The ads in menus thing is minor, at least at this point, very easy to
ignore. They've tested a feature or two that could be annoying, but so
far nothing has come of it. You could make the "slippery slope"
argument, but so far Tivo's actually been pretty friendly to the
customer, especially as to hacking tolerence, etc. Compare that to a
company like Directv who intentionally disables many of Tivo's more
advanced features (TTG, networking) because they're completely in bed
with the Media conglomerates.

--
Randy S.
Anonymous

John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Oh, I don't know... How much does the free VIDEO LAN program cost
> anyway? That's the one I use to watch Replay files on my better
> computers... On the lesser computer I use Core Media Player
>
> Also the free version.
>
> So, tell me again how many programs I have to BUY to do this

To play something pulled off a TiVo using TTG? None.

Use the FREE TivoDesktop.

The FREE DirectShowDump utility.

And the FREE VLC.

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@animato.arlington.ma.us
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Primarily their implementation of show sharing between units. I think they
went in the wrong direction there.
Replay's streaming functionality is much more useful. Of course, TIVO
implemented actual file downloads, so I cant say Replay beat them on that..
"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D b73kp$11v8$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> CheezWiz wrote:
>> I liked my Tivo Series-1, but they are screwing the pooch with series-2..
>> So here I am as well....
>> If it were not for the hackers out there that gave us the utilities, then
>> Replay would not be as great as it is. I think most of the credit for
>> Replay being good goes to them.. As it did for the hackers of the
>> series-1 Tivo's..
>
> What is it that bothers you about the Series 2? If anything the hacks are
> easier and better on the S2 than the S1, I would think.
>
> Randy S.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:07:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>CheezWiz wrote:
>>
>>>I liked my Tivo Series-1, but they are screwing the pooch with series-2..
>>>So here I am as well....
>>>If it were not for the hackers out there that gave us the utilities, then
>>>Replay would not be as great as it is. I think most of the credit for
>>>Replay being good goes to them.. As it did for the hackers of the
>>>series-1 Tivo's..
>>
>>What is it that bothers you about the Series 2? If anything the hacks are
>>easier and better on the S2 than the S1, I would think.
>>
>>Randy S.
>
> Primarily their implementation of show sharing between units. I think
> they went in the wrong direction there.
> Replay's streaming functionality is much more useful. Of course, TIVO
> implemented actual file downloads, so I cant say Replay beat them on
> that..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe MRV (moving shows
between units) requires a fully transferred file to begin playing. You
can play the show as soon as a minimal amount has transferred. And I do
believe that most people's networks (including wireless) can transfer
shows between units well beyond real-time rate, so once started you
shouldn't have to wait at all. I believe the MRV transfers are quicker
than TTG transfers because no decryption is required.

--
Randy S.
Anonymous

"CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> wrote in message
> Primarily their implementation of show sharing between units. I think they
> went in the wrong direction there.
> Replay's streaming functionality is much more useful. Of course, TIVO
> implemented actual file downloads, so I cant say Replay beat them on that..

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I start a transfer and watch it while
it copies to my Tivo.

Ken
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:07:46 AM

news:D b9dub$9p6$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> > CheezWiz wrote:
> >
> > Primarily their implementation of show sharing between units. I think
> > they went in the wrong direction there.
> > Replay's streaming functionality is much more useful. Of course, TIVO
> > implemented actual file downloads, so I cant say Replay beat them on
> > that..
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe MRV (moving shows
> between units) requires a fully transferred file to begin playing. You can
> play the show as soon as a minimal amount has transferred. And I do believe
> that most people's networks (including wireless) can transfer shows between
> units well beyond real-time rate, so once started you shouldn't have to wait
> at all. I believe the MRV transfers are quicker than TTG transfers because
> no decryption is required.

It depends on the network and the quality level of the recording. With "High"
quality recordings on my standalone (about 1.3 GB/hr) I can transfer the
recording fast enough that I can start watching it immediately and it gets far
enough ahead that I can actually skip commercials without waiting on the
transfer. With "High" quality recordings on my DVD-R unit (about 2.0 GB/hr) I
have to start the transfer a few minutes before I start watching to avoid a
delay. In no case do I ever have to wait for a transfer to finish before I
start watching.

Ken
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:13:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

When I was trying to decide between Replay and Tivo a while back, 2.0 had
just been released.
The FAQ at Tivo's site stated that the entire show had to be transferred
before it could be watched. Perhaps they fixed it in a later update or their
FAQ was wrong, but I read it on their site.

news:D b9fi7$pn2$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
> "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> wrote in message
>> Primarily their implementation of show sharing between units. I think
>> they went in the wrong direction there.
>> Replay's streaming functionality is much more useful. Of course, TIVO
>> implemented actual file downloads, so I cant say Replay beat them on
>> that..
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here. I start a transfer and watch it
> while it copies to my Tivo.
>
> Ken

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:46:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

A few messages back someone made the comment that Sonic would help you
if you had trouble burning the .tivo files. I laughed inasmuch as I
have been trying to get answers for almost a week and can't get to
communicate with anybody at Sonic. No e-mail, no telephone, nada.
Same for the TiVo tech help. As far as I can tell it's not there
except a few FAQs.
I bought the Sonic program, downloaded it, ran the .exe file and
apparently installed it. It created a Sonic folder with lots of files
but no executable ones I could find. All I want to ask Sonic is where
is the program.
Does anyone here have any ideas? I'd appreciate the help.
Paul H.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:04:28 AM

Ken Alverson wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're saying here. I start a transfer and watch it while
> it copies to my Tivo.

Here is a question for you... And remember I am simply asking, I'm don't
own a TIVO so I truly don't know.

Let's assume you have 3 Tivos. Can you record a show on say Tivo #1,
start watching it on Tivo #2, stop, go to Tivo #3, watch some more of
it, and then go back to Tivo #2, watch some more of it and then finally
finish the show on Tivo #1 (Where it originally recorded) -or-

DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?h

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
July 17, 2005 3:04:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:04:28 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Ken Alverson wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure what you're saying here. I start a transfer and watch it while
>> it copies to my Tivo.
>
>Here is a question for you... And remember I am simply asking, I'm don't
>own a TIVO so I truly don't know.
>
>Let's assume you have 3 Tivos. Can you record a show on say Tivo #1,
>start watching it on Tivo #2, stop, go to Tivo #3, watch some more of
>it, and then go back to Tivo #2, watch some more of it and then finally
>finish the show on Tivo #1 (Where it originally recorded) -or-
>
>DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?h

Have you considered ceasing to crosspost to an inappropriate group?
Edit the "Newsgroups" header.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 8:41:19 AM

John in Detroit wrote:

> DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?

Yes.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:16:20 PM

> Here is a question for you... And remember I am simply asking, I'm don't own
> a TIVO so I truly don't know.
>
> Let's assume you have 3 Tivos. Can you record a show on say Tivo #1, start
> watching it on Tivo #2, stop, go to Tivo #3, watch some more of it, and then
> on Tivo #1 (Where it originally recorded) -or-

Yes and no. What you can do is start a transfer from the paused position. So
you can go from Tivo #1 to Tivo #2 and start watching where you left off.
Watching on Tivo #2 does not update the paused position on Tivo #1, however.
So when you move to Tivo #3, if you want to watch where you left off, you have
to transfer from Tivo #2, starting at the paused position. The snag in that
plan is you can't transfer a show from Tivo #2 to Tivo #3 that is currently
being transferred from Tivo #1 to Tivo #2; the first transfer would have to be
complete.

I've actually done this, and even transferred a partial show back to the
original tivo where it was recorded just so it would play from the paused
location. It works pretty well, but after you are done, you have to clean up
the partial shows.

> DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?h

You do have to "transfer" them, but you can watch a transfer in progress, so
transferring shares many of the benefits of streaming.

Ken
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:19:24 AM

Joe Smith wrote:
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?
>

> Yes.

Thank you, all I wanted to know. (At least for now)

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:24:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Considering our discussion has blossomed into replay and Tivo users trading
info, how can both groups not be appropriate?

"Joel" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:04:28 GMT, John in Detroit
> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Ken Alverson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure what you're saying here. I start a transfer and watch it
>>> while
>>> it copies to my Tivo.
>>
>>Here is a question for you... And remember I am simply asking, I'm don't
>>own a TIVO so I truly don't know.
>>
>>Let's assume you have 3 Tivos. Can you record a show on say Tivo #1,
>>start watching it on Tivo #2, stop, go to Tivo #3, watch some more of
>>it, and then go back to Tivo #2, watch some more of it and then finally
>>finish the show on Tivo #1 (Where it originally recorded) -or-
>>
>>DO you have to transfer the show to the Tivo you are watching on?h
>
> Have you considered ceasing to crosspost to an inappropriate group?
> Edit the "Newsgroups" header.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:32:52 PM

CheezWiz wrote:
> Considering our discussion has blossomed into replay and Tivo users trading
> info, how can both groups not be appropriate?

Thank you sir, I was going to say that but you did it better

--
!