What's a good company for DDR333 PC2700 DDR RAM?

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Anyone know a good company for DDR333 PC2700 DDR RAM? Or are they all the same and have the exact same performance?
Should they be ECC and registered too? Or it wouldn't matter if they were?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vince604 on 03/18/02 06:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Good post ColdCathode. You get the credit for this, but just to help your post link become clickable. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1459&DEPA=1" target="_new">DDR333 PC2700</A>

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I found <A HREF="http://www.mscomponent.com/store/ViewBag.hmx?UID=9071&CID=&Back=ProdDDR.hmx?" target="_new"> This site</A> with corsair 2700 for 105.00 + shipping. I am not familiar with this reseller and I also saw it for 107.00 at neutron today check resellerratings.com for the low-down on these guys

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Thx you all. Well I'm thinking bout the Corsair and took a look at it. However it's non-ECC and unbuffered?.. Would it matter if it is or not?
I'm thinking registered ECC is a lot better but maybe just not out for DDR333 yet?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
ECC is intended for servers and will cost you in terms of performance as well as money no need for it in most desktop applications etc

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
if you want to use three or four modules in one mainboard, it's safe to use registered ecc ddr only.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
What? I'm going to have 3 modules. I'm going to be using the Corsair CMX512-2700C2 512MB PC2700 333MHz DDR SDRAM w/Heat Spreader. It's non ECC and unbuffered. Is it going to make a difference?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Unbuffered is fine, and the same with Non ECC. Ecc is what you want for a server, but many personal CPU boards don't support it. Besides, it slows down the system a bit.

If you go over 1.5 GB, that's when I believe you need buffered memory.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
From Crucial:
ECC stands for "error correcting code." If you have a single-bit memory error, ECC memory will detect and correct the error. If you have a double-bit memory error, ECC memory will detect and report the error.

The term "registered" refers to how the memory module processes signals. Registered modules contain a register that delays all information transferred to the module by one clock cycle. This type of memory is primarily used in servers and was designed for modules with 32 or more chips on them to help ensure that data is properly handled.

While most PCs will only accept unbuffered SDRAM, there are some that accept registered SDRAM. Keep in mind that when you install registered SDRAM, all of the modules installed in your PC must be registered because unbuffered and registered modules are not interchangeable.

Description:

Is unbuffered memory faster than registered?

Solution:

Yes, unbuffered memory is faster than registered memory. The register in registered memory delays all information transferred by one clock cycle, slowing the overall system performance.

Most systems are designed to take either registered or unbuffered memory, and the two are not interchangeable. If your system takes registered memory, it probably won't work if you try to replace the registered memory with unbuffered memory.

Description:

Is all registered SDRAM also ECC?

Solution:

Yes and no. Registered SDRAM does not necessarily have to be ECC. However, at Crucial, we've found that our customers who purchase registered SDRAM also want ECC. As a result, all of the registered SDRAM we sell at Crucial.com is also ECC.

Description:

I've heard that there is a limit to how much memory Windows can use? What is the limit?

Solution:

When upgrading your system, you need to keep two different maximum amounts of memory in mind.

First, the system maximum is the top amount of memory that your chipset and motherboard combination can handle. When you look up your system in the Memory Selector, you will see the system maximum on the page that lists the compatible upgrades for your system.

Second, the OS maximum is the top amount of memory that your operating system can handle.

When purchasing your upgrade, you need to determine which number is lower, your system maximum or your OS maximum. You should not exceed this number! Doing so is likely to slow your system performance or cause other problems. (In most cases, the system maximum is lower than the OS maximum.)

Here are the OS maximums for popular versions of Microsoft Windows.

Windows 95: 2GB
Windows 98: 4GB
Windows 98SE: 4GB
Windows ME: 4GB
Windows NT: 4GB
Windows 2000 Professional: 4GB
Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 4GB or 8GB with PAE enabled
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 4GB or 64GB with PAE enabled
Windows XP Home: 4GB
Windows XP Professional: 4GB
I hope the above helps with your questions. I too think that the corsair PC2700 cas2 is the best.

Some older chipsets/motherboards required registered DDR if you went over 2GB or 32 chips (usually 8 chips to a side - so, 2 double-sided sticks would reach the maximum). Check with your motherboard manufacturer to find out if you will be required to use registered for more than two sticks - usually not, though, with the newer single-proc boards. Dual-proc mobos usually require it.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

louman99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I've noticed on questions like these that Kingston gets little or no mention. I'm an IT manager and use their stuff exclusively from laptops to our servers. I use their stuff on my systems at home with good success. Is Corsair memory that much better?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
This is the news & review link on the<A HREF="http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/news.htm" target="_new">Corsair Memory</A> website. It cost more because of it's quality. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but some of the most credible retailers I deal with recommend Cosair as a premium brand. I always want the best, so Cosair is my prefrence.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Kingston used to be a premium RAM vendor 2-3 years ago and even became the primary source for Compaq and HP systems. Recently, however, their quality has fallen with the price wars, but their prices don't tend to be that good, IMO. It is usually better (quality and price) to buy from Crucial.com (Micron's module subsidiary) for DDR or SDR. Since Crucial doesn't yet offer PC2700 rated modules - even though Micron just started general production on the DDR333 chips - Corsair PC2700 cas2 is usually the best. OCZ PC2700 and PC3200 is possibly equal or better, but is always on backorder. For RDRAM I always recommend Samsung.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.