Choosing a Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2013 8:30:57 PM

Hey all,
I've recently built a gaming computer, but didn't have the money
to complete it at the time. Now that I do, I'm shopping for a dedicated
Graphics Card. I've been shopping on Newegg, my new favorite place
to shop for components, and have come across two that I think I like:

EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In case you need to know, my system build consists of:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case

Dynex 520 watt PSU

Please let me know which Graphics Card would be better or even if you
think an entirely different one would be best. Thanks in advanced,

ryan722

More about : choosing graphics card

a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:35:49 PM

How did you get that power supply. First things first, I don't even want to know the specs on it, upgrade it to something more reliable. Grab a Corsair CX500/600. As for the GPU you should get the ASUS one because of better cooling. Another option would be AMD's 7870 GPUs.
February 10, 2013 8:38:53 PM

you need a much better power supply. a Dynex 520 watt is going to explode if you try to put a decent GPU on it. look into Antec.

As far as the cards, they're all but the same, it doesn't really matter. which is cheaper and comes with more stuff?
Related resources
February 10, 2013 8:39:53 PM

Thanks for replying,
I was going to upgrade my PSU when I got the GPU,
I guess I forgot to mention. I was looking at the Raidmax 630W ATX12V. Would that work?
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 8:56:00 PM

actualley dynex is made by huntkey...but unless its not 80+ brand...so i dont know

raidmax is garbage ...get a antec 80+ or a corsair vx...not cx
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 9:02:13 PM

I would get the Asus card because the cooler is more efficient (should give you better temps while being more silent too).

I don't know about Raidmax, but for PSUs I tend to recommend the following brands: Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc... They all have very solid reputations for PSUs.

Here's a very good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There's currently a 30$ rebate by Newegg + a 15% off promo code (direct saving) + a potential 20$ mail-in rebate. With all these rebates applied it makes the total price drop to around 60$. Sweet deal for a very good PSU that usually costs above 100$.
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2013 9:13:20 PM

Look into better brands for a PSU. Something from Antec, Corsair, >>SEASONIC<<, XFX are the big guys. I may have left some out but these are very relaible. The gpu you should get is the ASUS one. It has a custom PCB which will allow for better overclocks. It will cool better and be more quieter.
!