Feb 10, 2013
Firstly my rig specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6100
Video Card: ASUS GTX 660 TI
RAM: 8 Gigs
PSU: Cooler Master EX2 725W
Storage: 120GB SSD & 500GB HDD
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
Case: Antec premium 302 (Canada Computers special)
Got it hooked up to a 32" 720 LED LG HD TV with a DVI to HDMI Cable
(Other than the TV, everything is no more than a month old)

So decided yesterday to replace my motherboard and grab a bigger case for better airflow and cooling. The swap went without any problems and everything seemed to be okay (Booted up afterwards and installed all the necessary drivers again. But it wasn't until I tried to play the Crysis 3 Beta that the problem began.

I started up the game, watched the intro, changed up the settings and controls and all was fine. Then I tried to jump into a game..it was loaded up and I was spectating or something for a quick second and then my tv lost the signal to the card and went dark. I thought maybe the game crashed or something (seeing how it is the beta) and had to hard reboot my pc. But then It did again..and again..and again. Tried playing BF3, Guild Wars, LoL..even watching a video. It would still go black and I would have to hard reboot my computer. Sometimes even when I reach the windows login screen and type in my password, as soon as I hit enter, the screen would go dark once again! I've tried uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and reinstalling them, checking the video card for dust and the power connectors on it as well. I'm at a lost at what could be the problem and I'm hoping it's not the video card =(

So if anyone could help me, that would be great! Thanks!

Solution

since you aren't ocing and your temps are good I have to assume it is the Windows install. There are some tip on what to run after a mb swapp. I have always reinstalled windows unless it was the same version/type mb.

Do a search on motherboard swap on this forum and read up. I know there is something you can run software wise to clear up the old mb drivers .
I would suspect a loose video card. Make sure it is seated properly with the aux power connectors installed.

After that I would suspect the cable is loose/short. Make sure the DVI is screwed in tight. Make sure the HDMI clip isn't broke causing the cable to slip out of the TV.

Overall just try to reseat everything from the card all the way to the TV.

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Gonna try this right now. I'll report back if anything changes.

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

So yea, I popped the 660 back in, made sure it was seated properly, attached the power cables to it and booted back up my pc. It was working fine for a good while. Was playing the Crysis 3 beta for about 5-10 minutes and I decided to fraps a bit of gameplay. The game started stuttering real bad and would shoot up and down from 13fps up to 55/60fps until I stopped the recording where It went back to normal but as soon as it did, the screen went black and the comp froze up again.

I don't think it's the MB though, seeing how when I posted first about it, I was using my back up Radeon 7700 (Good god that card is underrated btw) and I was playing BF3, Crysis and GW2 without any issues. Should I maybe try the other PCIx slot?

Did you look at your CPU useage when it started stuttering? Other than a driver issue it sounds like you are maxing out your CPU or possibly your PSU.

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Everything seems fine. My entire setup was working fine on my other motherboard (Old gigabyte 760). Even with my other graphics card, it seemed okay. Just seems odd that it's happening now.

725W is plenty for what you have unfortunately power supplies don't always put out what they say. You also have a degrade as they age. Not trying to be mean but CoolMaster psus are not always the best ones.

I only bring up the power supply as a possibility because it sounds like it will run for awhile then shut down. It sounds like something is overheating. If the power supply gets too warm sometimes it's power output drops.

When you changed out the motherboards did you reinstall Windows (I assume your using Windows)?

Are you monitoring your temps? Especially your GPPU temps.

Are you overclocking?

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Erm, I didn't reinstall windows. Just kinda tossed everything back together. My gpu temps go no higher than 55°C on GW.

since you aren't ocing and your temps are good I have to assume it is the Windows install. There are some tip on what to run after a mb swapp. I have always reinstalled windows unless it was the same version/type mb.

Do a search on motherboard swap on this forum and read up. I know there is something you can run software wise to clear up the old mb drivers .

Solution

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Sorry for the late response, been real busy at work. I decided to go ahead and reinstall windows and grabbed a driver sweeper to clean up any unwanted files, reinstalled all the required drivers, updated the MB chipset and everything.

Now at first things seemed fine playing guild wars 2, 2-3 hours of playing and no crashing, but as soon as I try to play Crysis or Battlefield, the same crash happened again. It's odd, because in both games, I could browse the menus and change up the settings but as soon as any form of gameplay happens, the crash would happen.
Chucked in my spare 7770, and I was gaming fine, no crashes or anything.

Starting to think it's the PSU maybe? Could it actually start failing so soon?

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
So yea, fixed my issue guys, just underclocked the 660 ti down to about 900mhz and everything is running pretty smooth, haven't had any crashes yet. But, I'm definitely going to grab a better and more reliable power supply though.

Guess this thread could be closed now? Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.