• Radeon
  • GPUs
  • Drivers
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 11, 2013 2:19:55 AM

Hello friends,
I have a bit of a problem with the latest Beta 4 & 5 released by ATI. I have a 6950 2gb card and I updated my drivers to ATI 13.2 beta 4 and saw a weird behavior, even while idle I noticed my gpu fans going crazy, first I checked the temperature which was too high for idle (~75C) then I checked the load on gpuz which was around 93%. I further updated to Beta 5 and saw same results. I started thinking that my card was gone then as a last resort I rolled back to 12.10 and saw everything go back to normal (gpu load 0-1% @idle). I also had a problem with a certain "OpenCL bug" while rolling back which I somehow managed to solve.

I just want to know whether it's the Beta drivers or is it something my card isn't able to handle? If it's the latter, should I avoid installing Beta drivers in the future? Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks :) 

More about : gpu idle load ati beta drivers

February 11, 2013 2:31:04 AM

install the latest non beta drivers.

and tell us if it fixes it

February 11, 2013 2:31:17 AM

They're Beta drivers - they aren't always going to work the way they're supposed to.

Wait for the next release and try that.
Related resources
February 11, 2013 2:36:55 AM

iceclock said:
install the latest non beta drivers.

and tell us if it fixes it

I did, rolled back to 12.10 which is actually better than 12.11 and as I mentioned it brought everything back to normal. It's just when I searched for similar complaints about the same driver there was no such mention by any other user. So I started to worry may be it's just my card.
February 11, 2013 2:38:11 AM

meh its called beta for a reason there not fully patched drivers.

February 11, 2013 2:41:57 AM

iceclock said:
meh its called beta for a reason there not fully patched drivers.

Yea I know what a software is in it's beta stage. I'm just trying to find out if there is any other user with a similar problem. Thanks anyway
February 11, 2013 9:45:57 AM

yes i know that u know i know. cheers

February 11, 2013 10:19:09 AM

thou it sounds like some sort of bitcoin miner virus... the opencl bug might have prevented it from running by messing up the opencl driver/package during roll back. Better to do a full system scan with some good antivirus software. Just in case.
February 11, 2013 4:27:54 PM

bitcoin virus?
February 11, 2013 9:52:44 PM

interesting

February 12, 2013 11:18:44 AM

Found no virus or malware during scan, gotta be the Beta drivers, will wait for a final release. Thanks for the inputs, good people :) 
February 12, 2013 7:55:25 PM

excellent, anytime sir