Hard drive boxes ??

G

hi all

ok... a wee bit unsure here, but what are those small (or large) cases that house purely hard drives called? there is no processor or cpu or anything in there, just a power supply, and slots for hard drives plus cabling etc. you hook them up to a machine via the connections at the back. the one i was looking at was scsi. (yes, as you can tell from my description, i know nothing about them, just very curious after seeing one set up). also, can you set them up with ide connections (and hard drives) or is this a waste of time given the performance issues and so forth. any insight into these things or a pointer as to where i can get more info would be most appreciated.

thanks heaps

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I do not know of any external enclosure solutions for IDE since most boards only support 4 drives and the cable length is very limited. Great for SCSI but crazy $$!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Generically, it's a drive enclosure. You can use a CD rack for the same purpose with removable drive trays. The ones designed specifically for high-speed drives have better cables and usually hot swappable trays (for 80-pin drives) and cost a fortune.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Promise makes these. You can have 8 IDE drives HOWEVER the drive enclosure connects to a SCSI adapter in your computer.

Brian Kronberg