Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU Dedicated PhysX and CUDA - Page 2

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Physx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 7:51:44 PM

I like the effects that Physx provides. I play games that use it and I really enjoy it. I have a GTX670 and any game that I play I can pretty much max out every game with the exception of Batman AC DX11 features really kills performance which has nothing to do with the card but the games implementation of dx11 features. A GTX680 will be more then enough to handle Physx on its highest settings in a game like planetside 2 and I would say you would just fine fine with that. If you were to get a dedicated Physx card something like a 650Ti would probably be where to go. But I will just say that in any game that is currently out the current generation of cards man handles physx games.
m
0
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:00:05 PM

17seconds said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_II/5.html

Quote:
Benchmark scores in other reviews are only comparable when this exact same configuration is used.

All video card results were obtained on this exact system with exactly the same configuration.


Yes but as i understand it they mean the exact config as in the graphics card too?

Were the same drivers used? You have not answered my question.
m
0
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:01:23 PM

The strategy should be to try the games out first, then decide if you need a little more oomph with a dedicated PhysX card. $150 on one of the 600 series cards would set you up nicely and get you over the hump if there is one.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:04:04 PM

For me PhyX not worth the extra money or even come into play when I think about choosing one card over another thats just me. I also don't like the idea of mutli monitor gaming only because I just can't get over the fact monitors have bezel/boarder that would side in the middle of the screen. However this is of my opinion and I'm sure other will tell you that over time you won't even notice them or would suggest X brand of monitors to "solve" this problem. So with all that said I think it best to let him know all his options first then you can explain why you suggest one over the other.
m
0
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:05:12 PM

Novuake said:
Yes but as i understand it they mean the exact config as in the graphics card too?

Were the same drivers used? You have not answered my question.

Have you even clicked on the link? There is no ambiguity in their explanation.

"All video card results were obtained on this exact system with exactly the same configuration."
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:12:55 PM

ikaz said:
For me PhyX not worth the extra money or even come into play when I think about choosing one card over another thats just me. I also don't like the idea of mutli monitor gaming only because I just can't get over the fact monitors have bezel/boarder that would side in the middle of the screen. However this is of my opinion and I'm sure other will tell you that over time you won't even notice them or would suggest X brand of monitors to "solve" this problem. So with all that said I think it best to let him know all his options first then you can explain why you suggest one over the other.


@Ikaz to each their own. If everyone was happy with just "OK" or last generation graphics then everyone would buy a console and be done with it. PC gaming has and will always be if theres a will/money theres a way which is why PC gaming is so awesome.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 8:19:15 PM

I guess that reinforces my decision to get a 2nd 670 with my tax refund :bounce: 

As for the "why PhysX" issue..umm...if you have a $400 card you're probably wanting the best quality visuals possible, nothing turned off.

I do agree with the multiple monitor problem of dealing with bezels. It's very distracting for some people and ruins the experience. If a piece of dust is on the screen I can see it, and I freak out, so a big black bar is going to drive me insane.
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:25:10 PM

I think matt is dead on with slowly adding video cards to the solution as they are needed. Its better to evaluate things in that fashion when looking at physx.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:32:01 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I think matt is dead on with slowly adding video cards to the solution as they are needed. Its better to evaluate things in that fashion when looking at physx.

:o 

btw, how many people here have actually USED a card for physX?
:heink: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:34:45 PM

I run a dedicated gtx 560ti

m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:35:42 PM

^ photoshopped!
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 8:35:51 PM

I have. I tested it when I had two 560Ti's I would run in SLi and then turn around take off the SLi bridge and run the 560Ti in a dedicated physx roll performance was very much unchanged. And two 560ti's is roughly around the same performance level as a 580. I tried this with Batman AC.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 9:06:46 PM

mightymaxio said:
I run a dedicated gtx



Omg I love white cases. Beautiful.
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 9:15:16 PM

Agreed what case is that by the way looks like maybe a nzxt switch.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 9:20:49 PM

What you need is a gtx 480. Best card that has ever been out EVER. Pair it with the 680 and you will be fine. (Just make sure you use the 680 as the Phx card tho).

m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 9:23:41 PM

No that would be absolute overkill on so many levels. You do not need a crazy card if you insist on a dedicated physx card a 650/ti will do the trick.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 9:45:06 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Agreed what case is that by the way looks like maybe a nzxt switch.

That would be the coolermaster storm stryker although it should have been named the storm trooper lol

Heres another pic of it:

m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 10:12:38 PM

Ah the top of the case is more telling the window had a NZXT look to it. Very cool though so many damn expansion slots.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:30:10 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Ah the top of the case is more telling the window had a NZXT look to it. Very cool though so many damn expansion slots.


I have the Switch 810 :p  But honestly after seeing that storm trooper case I should have taken that and saved some money. They're both in my top 5 fav cases ever though :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 11:19:46 PM

Actually there is someone at the LAN's that brings one of those except its black.
Wonder what the OP is going to do with so many choices between physx and no physx. If one were spending money on it I would suggest looking on craigslist for a used 260 or 460 for physx since both of those can max out physx.


Picture of our epic LAN.
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 11:33:31 PM

That is a lot of people honestly what I would advise someone to do is get the best card you can get and then if you felt like you needed more physx power for games add onto it with a dedicated card when the time came but honestly at this point a 680 would just swallow up physx and spit it out.
m
0
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:41:58 AM

mightymaxio said:
Actually there is someone at the LAN's that brings one of those except its black.
Wonder what the OP is going to do with so many choices between physx and no physx. If one were spending money on it I would suggest looking on craigslist for a used 260 or 460 for physx since both of those can max out physx.


Picture of our epic LAN.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/487529_10151238686691754_748018476_n.jpg

Gotta be careful to create a good match between your Physx card and your primary graphics card. i would not use a 260, but a 460 might be okay. 336 CUDA cores in the GTX 460 would be the minimum I would consider, but a 650 with 384 cores would be better for about the same price (I assume), but less heat and noise. There really hasn't been a good review using the latest generation as dedicated cards, so it's hard to say.

This is using a GTX 580 SLI setup for primary graphics with a GTX 650 Ti for PhysX. They also swapped out the 650 for a 560 Ti and got similar results but about 50 watts more power consumption:

http://www.ninjalane.com/reviews/video/gtx-650ti_roundu...
m
0
l
      • 1
      • 2 / 2
!