Different Manufacturers in SLI??

Hi:

I have an EVGA 660 TI SC with 3GB of VRAM, can I use i.e a Zotac 660 TI 2GB for SLI? or MSI? or it has to be exactly EVGA 660 TI SC 3GB?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about different manufacturers
  1. No, but it will work best with another EVGA card as you won't need to adjust clock speeds and they will have 3GB rather than 2GB of memory.
  2. Only the gpu has to be the same, if you get a card with less memory it will limit the other card to that lower amount.
  3. bignastyid said:
    Only the gpu has to be the same, if you get a card with less memory it will limit the other card to that lower amount.

Same GPU?? As I understand 660 Ti and 670 has the same GPU could them run in SLI? sorry for the ignorance
  4. While they use the same architecture they are different gpus, hence the different model numbers.
  5. ^While you technically might be able to, it's a silly idea - sli will make sure that the cards are running exactly the same; meaning the 670 will be downclocked and have cores disabled so that it has the specs of a 660ti. (So it's pointless to go that route.)
  6. No u cant run a 660ti with a 670 in sli... only same models number. Meaning 660ti with another 660ti, 670 with another 670, etc...

What he meant is that if u have 1 660TI with 3 GB and another 660TI with 2 GB, if you SLI both they will both output as if it were 2 GB version.
  7. bignastyid said:
    While they use the same architecture they are different gpus, hence the different model numbers.

They are actually the same GPU but the 660Ti has a crippled unit which is why the bandwidth is cut down to 192 bit.
    Anonymous said:
    ^While you technically might be able to, it's a silly idea - sli will make sure that the cards are running exactly the same; meaning the 670 will be downclocked and have cores disabled so that it has the specs of a 660ti. (So it's pointless to go that route.)

And that's why you might have a problem or several to get them to SLi, technically. :whistle:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards EVGA SLI Graphics