Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Different Manufacturers in SLI??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • EVGA
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 11, 2013 2:38:06 PM

Hi:

I have an EVGA 660 TI SC with 3GB of VRAM, can I use i.e a Zotac 660 TI 2GB for SLI? or MSI? or it has to be exactly EVGA 660 TI SC 3GB?

Thanks

More about : manufacturers sli

a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 2:40:39 PM

No, but it will work best with another EVGA card as you won't need to adjust clock speeds and they will have 3GB rather than 2GB of memory.
m
0
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 2:40:57 PM

Only the gpu has to be the same, if you get a card with less memory it will limit the other card to that lower amount.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2013 2:45:04 PM

bignastyid said:
Only the gpu has to be the same, if you get a card with less memory it will limit the other card to that lower amount.


Same GPU?? As I understand 660 Ti and 670 has the same GPU could them run in SLI? sorry for the ignorance
m
0
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 3:00:51 PM

While they use the same architecture they are different gpus, hence the different model numbers.
m
0
l
a c 90 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 3:03:06 PM

^While you technically might be able to, it's a silly idea - sli will make sure that the cards are running exactly the same; meaning the 670 will be downclocked and have cores disabled so that it has the specs of a 660ti. (So it's pointless to go that route.)

m
0
l
February 11, 2013 3:09:45 PM

No u cant run a 660ti with a 670 in sli... only same models number. Meaning 660ti with another 660ti, 670 with another 670, etc...

What he meant is that if u have 1 660TI with 3 GB and another 660TI with 2 GB, if you SLI both they will both output as if it were 2 GB version.
m
0
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 3:14:16 PM

bignastyid said:
While they use the same architecture they are different gpus, hence the different model numbers.

They are actually the same GPU but the 660Ti has a crippled unit which is why the bandwidth is cut down to 192 bit.
DarkSable said:
^While you technically might be able to, it's a silly idea - sli will make sure that the cards are running exactly the same; meaning the 670 will be downclocked and have cores disabled so that it has the specs of a 660ti. (So it's pointless to go that route.)


And that's why you might have a problem or several to get them to SLi, technically. :whistle: 
m
0
l
!