Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade hardware components Compaq Presario SR1729UK

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2013 3:06:27 PM

Hello,
sorry but this is a very vague question but what hardware could i add to my Compaq Presario SR1729UK for gaming i am running windows 7 and have added 2 gigs of ram and a 50gb Crucial M4 SSD and am not really sure where to go from here can anyone help please
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 3:31:52 PM

Honestly, you're at the point of a complete over-haul. I personally wouldn't invest any cash into this computer. I found the specs for your computer (link below). The computer has a Pentium processor on the 775 socket. The graphics in the computer are also pretty old as well. It's going to have trouble running anything. If you were to upgrade the processor and GPU, you may be able to play some games. The problem with the 775 socket (Core2 processors) is they aren't cheap. You can buy newer and more powerful processors for a cheaper price.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk...
February 11, 2013 3:48:11 PM

Thanks for the reply and advice so would i be better off just getting a new motherboard and processors could you are anyone recommend where to start
Related resources
February 11, 2013 4:03:42 PM

At this point, I'd start from scratch and only carry over the SSD. Unfortunately the RAM currently in your computer can't be used in current-model boards, since your DDR2 RAM isn't compatible with modern DDR3 slots.

Here's a good place to start reading up on building a new computer:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it...
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2013 5:01:12 PM

I agree with svenge. Just start from scratch. Get a 1155 socket motherboard and an i5 cpu or a AM3+ motherboard with a FX-6XXX cpu. As for graphics, that depends on the games you want to play. Some games on the market would only require a $100 GPU while others require a lot more power.
!