Sign in with
Your question

Low fps on 660 gtx OC Gigabyte

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2013 5:24:09 PM

Hello,
My english is not good ,but i will try my best . I bought a video card 660 gtx OC Gigabyte , and aditional 2 gb ram to my pc. My Pc Components intel core duo 2,13 Ghz 4 gb ram 660 gtx and 530w powersuply . And i thoutght this card will be greate for gaming , but i have a low fps with this card. Before i had 8600 gtx and it runned better for example Unreal tournament 3 with 40-60 fps no problems and now with my new card many games haves low fps , such as uT3 is laging , Dota 2 haves just 10-30 fps . But before with other card it was 20-50 fps with max settings , do you see my pont . What is the problem ? I have cheked temperature is never more than 50 c. And i have installed and reinstaled drivers many times. So what could it be ?
February 11, 2013 5:37:22 PM

intelectminde said:
Hello,
My english is not good ,but i will try my best . I bought a video card 660 gtx OC Gigabyte , and aditional 2 gb ram to my pc. My Pc Components intel core duo 2,13 Ghz 4 gb ram 660 gtx and 530w powersuply . And i thoutght this card will be greate for gaming , but i have a low fps with this card. Before i had 8600 gtx and it runned better for example Unreal tournament 3 with 40-60 fps no problems and now with my new card many games haves low fps , such as uT3 is laging , Dota 2 haves just 10-30 fps . But before with other card it was 20-50 fps with max settings , do you see my pont . What is the problem ? I have cheked temperature is never more than 50 c. And i have installed and reinstaled drivers many times. So what could it be ?

Most likely Cpu is bottlenecking
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:47:54 PM

So i have to buy a new pc if my cpu is bad , ore is there a way how to chek or fix this?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
February 11, 2013 5:50:22 PM

you said you added more ram but didn't tell us what, and you didn't say what you had before. mixing ram, even though they "appear" to be the same could hurt. also, check the mobo booklet and see what slots the ram should be in.

try resetting cmos. maybe that will set things right.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 11, 2013 5:55:54 PM

"intel core duo 2,13 Ghz" < BOTTLENECK. It doesnt even meet the minimum requirements for many modern games, and certainly does not meet the recommended requirements for most modern games. Your power supply also may be a problem, what brand is it? some cheap 530w PSU's perform more like 250w psu's which isnt enough power.
You will need to upgrade the cpu, motherboard and ram, they no longer make and decent CPU's for that socket. You can get an i3 2100 ($100), B75 motherboard ($60) and 8gig ddr3 ram ($35). that should see you gain some nice performance, although would be good if you could get an i5 over the i3.
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:57:56 PM

i bought DDr2 because my other 2gb rams are DDR2 i went to computer shop they put the rams in. (also before all this story there was interesting thing that my PC could not turn on properly , than i brought coumputer to pc shop and they fixed problem they said that Rams were insered in wrong position.) So they fixed this problem. Also i tried 2 hours ago to put out this new rams and run the game but it was the same .
m
l
February 11, 2013 6:04:01 PM

Powersuply brand Modecom , but if this powersuply would be bad my pc wont run at all , it wont turn on , thanks for your advice to buy those things, but there is a question why UT3 (unreal tournament) such old game 2007 y. is laging on this card , before this card with 8600 gts there was no problem and with this card 660 gtx gigabyte is laging , this is most interesting part fore mee, and some other old games also.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 11, 2013 6:20:09 PM

you may have been able to run your old card on that PS but the way the power is distributed won't allow the card to draw enough now.
what is the PS? and what is the amperage? and how do you have the new card powered?
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:42:08 PM

it's on the lable...
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:47:40 PM

link looks to me like its 35 AMPS on 12V Rail, I also notice that the 3.3V and 5V are on the same rail.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 11, 2013 9:34:10 PM

what memory did you have in the machine and what other memory did the "pros" put in?

do you have the motherboard manual? check to see that the ram is installed in the proper slot for dual channel mode.

shut down machine. physically pull the ram. what does it say on each stick?
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:52:03 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
it's on the lable...

I have no lable , there is everything written on this power suply front ass you can see in the picture.
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:53:05 PM

rshillshooter81 said:
link looks to me like its 35 AMPS on 12V Rail, I also notice that the 3.3V and 5V are on the same rail.

i am noob at all this staff , can you say what does it mean all those things, is it good ore bad?
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:56:22 PM

rshillshooter81 said:

i am noob at those things . what does it mean all those things is it good ore bad? what should i doo? for me is surprising that i brought to place where pcs are being fixed 5 days ago and they should chek and fix everything in alwrite places , but it seems that there are some mistkas ore they did bad job .
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:44:21 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what memory did you have in the machine and what other memory did the "pros" put in?

do you have the motherboard manual? check to see that the ram is installed in the proper slot for dual channel mode.

shut down machine. physically pull the ram. what does it say on each stick?

the old rams are 2x 1 gb and they are in yellow slots , there are 4 slots for rams, in other slot it is red slot there is 1x2 gb ram. On the old rams there is written : 1GB /800 64x8 DDR II (2) On the other ram new one there is written 2GB PC2-6400 CL6. and the pc shop consultants said it is DDR II (2) i think that the motherboard is manual .
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 12, 2013 4:54:38 PM

and what happens when yo run the 2 old modules together? ( without the new ram)
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:22:31 PM

swifty_morgan said:
and what happens when yo run the 2 old modules together? ( without the new ram)

when i run 2 old ram models without new one , nothing happens the games are running at the same low fps as it was .
Is there somwhere where i can chek if my grafipcs card is working properly in fuyll power? My graphics card celsius is newer more than 40 celcius is that normal ? maby one time was 50 but after game i chek my celcius and it is just 40 .
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:26:01 PM

Ore maby if i would install new windows maby problem will solve out ? Can it be so ?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 12, 2013 5:35:50 PM

you could reinstall drivers.

did you reset cmos like I asked earlier?
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:40:14 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you could reinstall drivers.

did you reset cmos like I asked earlier?

i reinstalled drivers many times, i tried with new drivers , old drivers but nothing helpes , i think that with older drivers games were running better than with new one ... . What does it mean reset cmos? what does this word mean (cmos) my english is not so good sory .
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 12, 2013 6:12:09 PM

long story short.................. shut down machine. unplug power from wall. remove battery ( use a magic marker to put line on back so you know what way it goes back in ) put back in after a few minutes. boot up machine. how does it run now?
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:05:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:
long story short.................. shut down machine. unplug power from wall. remove battery ( use a magic marker to put line on back so you know what way it goes back in ) put back in after a few minutes. boot up machine. how does it run now?
i
i did as you said , it works same ass it was , i am confused with 630 gt dota on ultra had 20-60 fps with this card 14-30 fps disaster ,...... i think it is a problem with this card...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 12, 2013 7:30:21 PM

before the coup de grâce can you try it in someone else machine?
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:39:08 PM

swifty_morgan said:
before the coup de grâce can you try it in someone else machine?

now i am living in other city , so i dont know where could i trie .
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:40:15 PM

i would also like to try my video card on other computer.
m
l
!