Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

can REPLAY TV or TiVo be used without a subscription?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:19:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
positively buy a "subscription"?

best, Aaron

PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
drives?
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:56:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
>to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
>to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
>are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
>use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
>timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
>positively buy a "subscription"?
>

The Replay will do nothing but allow some "Setup" menu functions when
isn't activated (subscribed).

>best, Aaron
>
>PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
>drives?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
July 25, 2005 12:12:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
> to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
> to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
> are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
> use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
> timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
> positively buy a "subscription"?
>
> best, Aaron
>
> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
> drives?
>
Some of the tivo models are available with a very limited free
subscription & can be programmed like a VCR. I'm using a Toshiba SDH400
(no longer a current model).

There are several standalone DVD recorders on the market now that also
have a hard drive in them that can be used to start watching a program
while it's still being recorded. Just make sure that the model you
select can use re-recordable DVD's.

Now I've told you more than I know. :-)

Charlie
Related resources
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:39:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Sure,

As a boat anchor, door stop, oversized paperweight, etc...

Without a sub, they are worthless...

There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult and
to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old computer
and SnapStream software...

CW
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:1122243560.540456.230470@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
> to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
> to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
> are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
> use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
> timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
> positively buy a "subscription"?
>
> best, Aaron
>
> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
> drives?
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:37:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
>
> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
> drives?

Yes, there are other products that will do it, I use an ATI TV-Wonder
card from time to time, therer are serveral other computer cards that
will record video to your hard drive.

And of course there is the competition

Personal opionion is none are as good as replay though


--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:39:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

CheezWiz wrote:
> There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult and
> to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old computer
> and SnapStream software...

I have looked at "Tivo In A Box" at my local stores and, to be honest, I
think a lifetime Replay is just about the same price as the TIVO w/o
subscription.

(note, I looked no further than the price tag) Cost of Tivo = Cost of
Lifetime activation for the replay Replay, after rebates is 30 bucks,

So the "Recovery" time is, what, 3 months
--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:51:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Re Read my post,,, I seperated out the cost of activation and the cost
ofthe device itself. Tivo's sell for about what it cost me to lifetime
my #3 replay (#1 is still monthly I think, though discounted, I'm not
sure if I"m going to keep all 3 "live" forever)

So, the difference in price is the cost of the replay (30bucks) in the
box,which you quickly recover in fees

General Kireiko wrote:
> John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> : I have looked at "Tivo In A Box" at my local stores and, to be honest, I
> : think a lifetime Replay is just about the same price as the TIVO w/o
> : subscription.
>
> : (note, I looked no further than the price tag) Cost of Tivo = Cost of
> : Lifetime activation for the replay Replay, after rebates is 30 bucks,
>
> : So the "Recovery" time is, what, 3 months
>
> What rebates? You can get a RTV box for $30, but it's useless without the
> subscription, which is $300 lifetime or $12.95 / month.
>
> Where can you get an ACTIVATED Repay for $30?
>
> -Doug

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I was talking about no-sub pre-hacked Tivo's which are illegal and
expensive...

CW
"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Nr2Fe.589$vq2.284@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> CheezWiz wrote:
>> There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult
>> and to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old
>> computer and SnapStream software...
>
> I have looked at "Tivo In A Box" at my local stores and, to be honest, I
> think a lifetime Replay is just about the same price as the TIVO w/o
> subscription.
>
> (note, I looked no further than the price tag) Cost of Tivo = Cost of
> Lifetime activation for the replay Replay, after rebates is 30 bucks,
>
> So the "Recovery" time is, what, 3 months
> --
> John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
> "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
> Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

A friend of mine uses Snapstream with his ATI card and it is awesome..!
Not only is the quality the same or better than my replay, he can watch his
shows or live TV anywhere in the world.
Plus he can add as many tuner cards as he has PCI slots in addition to his
ATI card.

CW
"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Bp2Fe.588$vq2.235@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
>>
>> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
>> drives?
>
> Yes, there are other products that will do it, I use an ATI TV-Wonder card
> from time to time, therer are serveral other computer cards that will
> record video to your hard drive.
>
> And of course there is the competition
>
> Personal opionion is none are as good as replay though
>
>
> --
> John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
> "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
> Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:47:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
>to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
>to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
>are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
>use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
>timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
>positively buy a "subscription"?
>
>best, Aaron
>
>PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
>drives?

What about this scenario?

The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
would use that information to select shows to record, etc.

What if I have an RTV in the living room that has a subscription but I
want to add a 2nd RTV to the bedroom, which wouldn't be used to record
shows but would only be used to watch shows that were recorded on the
living room RTV? Or, maybe I would transfer the shows from the living
room RTV to a computer that acts as a RTV server (using DVArchive),
and use the bedroom RTV to pull shows from there? I already know that
I can pull shows from the living room RTV to the computer and watch
the shows on the computer, so I wonder if adding a 2nd RTV would be
any different.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:21:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

As we have discussed many, many times in this newsgroup, RTVs *do not*
function without activation. If all you want is to stream shows from your
RTV, build yourself a computer to do so.

Regards,

Margaret

"Patriots87" <patriots87@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
news:c5bfe1hb7774utpg68rlpdi90h0rcq9v2r@4ax.com...
> On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
>
>>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
>>to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
>>to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
>>are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
>>use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
>>timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
>>positively buy a "subscription"?
>>
>>best, Aaron
>>
>>PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
>>drives?
>
> What about this scenario?
>
> The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
> download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
> would use that information to select shows to record, etc.
>
> What if I have an RTV in the living room that has a subscription but I
> want to add a 2nd RTV to the bedroom, which wouldn't be used to record
> shows but would only be used to watch shows that were recorded on the
> living room RTV? Or, maybe I would transfer the shows from the living
> room RTV to a computer that acts as a RTV server (using DVArchive),
> and use the bedroom RTV to pull shows from there? I already know that
> I can pull shows from the living room RTV to the computer and watch
> the shows on the computer, so I wonder if adding a 2nd RTV would be
> any different.
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:06:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:1122243560.540456.230470@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
> to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
> to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
> are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
> use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
> timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
> positively buy a "subscription"?
>


The older model stand alone Tivos now commonly called the series 1 Tivos
manufactured by Philips can be used to record by Time and channel just like
a vcr without having to pay for a subscription and without having to hack
it. They have not been manufactured for years, but these older models are
readily available on ebay and other auction/sales sites.

These ReplayTv bastards wouldn't want to share that information because they
have a hard time accepting the fact that Tivo's features are better all
around except for the networking features. So they won't openly admit that
Tivo has a feature that RTV doesn't, especially when they'd like that
feature.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:40:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D cp7mg$jer$1@reader2.panix.com...
>
> WHy would I want a digital VCR?

Does anyone make a digital video cassette recorder?
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
<douglas@panix.com> spewed:
>: The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
>: download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
>: would use that information to select shows to record, etc.
>
>The subscription makes the box work.
>
>When you buy a ReplayTV, you have a 10-day grace period to use it. After
>10 days, you have to purchase a subscription. If you do not, the unit
>will lock-out and display a message telling you that you need to buy
>a subscription.
>
>If you have a unit with a subscription, and do not let it connect, it
>will eventually complain and say that it needs to connect to the mothership
>to verify the subscription.
>
>There is no way around paying for activation. Period.
>
There has GOT to be a hack out there somewhere for RTV.
I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what their
VCR could do for free. Oooh, a stupid guide, whoopie. Well, there's
already one on the cable box, tvguide.com, and my Palm's SecondScreenTV.
There's hacks for Xbox, PS2, PSP, and everything else under the sun.
I can't believe hackers have somehow ignored RTV.
It's NOT as good to use a tuner card and computer, because you have to
leave it on all the time, and you have to have a way to ethernet it to
each TV in the house. RTV is untouched on that.
It also acts as a video capture card for DVD to replay to computer.
Maybe most important, you don't have to have the TV next to the computer
or watch on the computer.
RCA's, Svid, etc. all lose signal for long 25-50' runs. Ethernet doesn't
because it's digital.

Come on guys, somebody out there's gotta know something on this?!


Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
doubt gets discounts!

--
_____________________________________________________
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :) 
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

He gets a discount on the box itself, which is close to free these days. He
doesn't get a discount on the subscription, which is paid to DNNA. And
maybe if you actually saw the guide and the functionality it and the RTV
provide, you wouldn't call us all a bunch of idiots for paying a "stupid"
fee. Believe it or not, we're not dumb, and there's a lot of value there.
That said, I'm finding $250 for a lifetime subscription too much for more
than my original two units, so I pay the reduced monthly fee (6.95) for my
third unit.

Regards,

Margaret

<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:44luf1hh4s4ba3lc84kvq38blvl3g9rm2l@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
> <douglas@panix.com> spewed:
>
> Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
> said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
> doubt gets discounts!
August 15, 2005 6:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what their
> VCR could do for free.

Ah, the old "it's just a fancy VCR" argument. You really should try one
out to understand how it works.

The interactive guide is the whole point of the unit. The value is in
the integration of the recording/playback with the guide.

My on-screen guide doesn't allow me to explore the shows interactively,
find a show I like, and press one button to record it later. No
translating that show into a channel, date, start time and end time.
Find show, and press one button. And when the show gets moved an hour
due to a football game it STILL records the right thing, because you're
recording the show, not the time slot. Can a VCR do that?

Can tvguide.com find all shows matching a category like "Auto racing"?
Everything with Al Pacino it? Then record all of that automatically?
It's all about the integration.

That's why I dumped my VCR. The RTV much easier to record stuff, larger
capacity, no rewinding or swapping tape, and you can watch while it
records something else. It's not even close.

> Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
> said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
> doubt gets discounts!

I would never pay montly. Get a lifetime for $300. Could anyone build
a dedicated PC to do that cheaper? It's not a lot of money for
something that so many times more useful than the best VCR.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

One more "killer app" that a VCR cannot do: watch a show while it's
still being recorded! We love sitting down 15 minutes after the hour to
start watching a show from the beginning, skipping the commercials and
finishing up at the top of the hour. We start watching 15 min later for
the number of shows in a row. Example; if there are 3 shows in a row we
want to see we'll start watching 45 after the start of the 1st show and
be done at the same time as if we had watched them live.
Of course a VCR doesn't let you pause a "live" show when the phone
rings or go back and replay a segment. It'll do that if you're watching
a fully taped show but not when you're watching live.
And of course, with 40 to 360 hours of disk space, you don't have to
swap tapes or worry about running short.

From:ST
tringali@yahoo.com

> see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>
>> I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what
>> their VCR could do for free.
>
> Ah, the old "it's just a fancy VCR" argument. You really should try
> one out to understand how it works.
>
> The interactive guide is the whole point of the unit. The value is in
> the integration of the recording/playback with the guide.
>
> My on-screen guide doesn't allow me to explore the shows
> interactively, find a show I like, and press one button to record it
> later. No translating that show into a channel, date, start time and
> end time. Find show, and press one button. And when the show gets
> moved an hour due to a football game it STILL records the right
> thing, because you're recording the show, not the time slot. Can a
> VCR do that?
> Can tvguide.com find all shows matching a category like "Auto racing"?
> Everything with Al Pacino it? Then record all of that automatically?
> It's all about the integration.
>
> That's why I dumped my VCR. The RTV much easier to record stuff,
> larger capacity, no rewinding or swapping tape, and you can watch
> while it records something else. It's not even close.
>
>> Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at
>> a RTV said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn
>> subscription! And he no doubt gets discounts!
>
> I would never pay montly. Get a lifetime for $300. Could anyone
> build a dedicated PC to do that cheaper? It's not a lot of money for
> something that so many times more useful than the best VCR.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

You need an older rtv. The 3000 series does not require a subscription, and
will do just what you need. They were only sold with a lifetime subscription
originally.

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:1122243560.540456.230470@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
> to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
> to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
> are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
> use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
> timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
> positively buy a "subscription"?
>
> best, Aaron
>
> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
> drives?
>
!